What happens to Kyler Murray if the Cardinals draft #1 overall?

notthatbluestuff

On 5/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, seminoles1 said:

Kyler will likely miss the season.

I really don't know where this has popped up so much. Every local media/beat reporter type who has a pulse on the franchise has said he should be back in October at the latest. He could start the season if they really wanted him to, but wouldn't be 100%. They'd be fools to hold him out the whole year, especially if they're considering moving off of him. Who would want Kyler with the injury question mark? 

Regardless, all reports have been that the new staff likes Kyler a lot. Him, Gannon and Petzing have hit it off. You don't send your owner, GM, head coach, offensive coordinator and QB coach to Norman for his Heisman statue unveiling if you don't believe in the guy.

Now that said, if we have the #1 overall pick, cutting Hopkins gave us the space to move off of him if we would want to. Which also just furthers the point that he is going to play this year. Kyler at his peak was one of the best deep ball throwers in the league in 2021, and was an MVP candidate till he got hurt on Thursday night. He's had garbage OL play his whole career, and this year will probably be his best OL yet. IF we end up with the first overall pick (our pick, not Houston) with Kyler playing, then yes he is obviously gone. 

Added: Also screw Florio, the dude has written like 10 hit pieces on the Cardinals this offseason. Roseman was right that he's a lead conspiracy theorist in the league. 

Edited by LuckyNumber11
Mike Freaking Florio
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

I really don't know where this has popped up so much. Every local media/beat reporter type who has a pulse on the franchise has said he should be back in October at the latest. He could start the season if they really wanted him to, but wouldn't be 100%. They'd be fools to hold him out the whole year, especially if they're considering moving off of him. Who would want Kyler with the injury question mark? 

Regardless, all reports have been that the new staff likes Kyler a lot. Him, Gannon and Petzing have hit it off. You don't send your owner, GM, head coach, offensive coordinator and QB coach to Norman for his Heisman statue unveiling if you don't believe in the guy.

Now that said, if we have the #1 overall pick, cutting Hopkins gave us the space to move off of him if we would want to. Which also just furthers the point that he is going to play this year. Kyler at his peak was one of the best deep ball throwers in the league in 2021, and was an MVP candidate till he got hurt on Thursday night. He's had garbage OL play his whole career, and this year will probably be his best OL yet. IF we end up with the first overall pick (our pick, not Houston) with Kyler playing, then yes he is obviously gone. 

Added: Also screw Florio, the dude has written like 10 hit pieces on the Cardinals this offseason. Roseman was right that he's a lead conspiracy theorist in the league. 

I agree with you on Florio!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

With all the people thinking the Cardinals are a shoe-in for #1, I'm almost certain that they will overachieve this year. 

Colt McCoy will have his Case Keenum year and the Cardinals will be fighting for the last wildcard spot in the final weeks of the season

Also dang Colt McCoy is 36 years old.  This man might outlast his entire draft class.  I think the only other player from that draft still signed to an NFL team is Trent Williams

Suh has also stated he intends to sign with someone this upcoming season. 

I would like Kyler on both the Raiders and the A's to be honest. He's exciting and actually throws to WRs so Davante might continue his HOF trajectory with him replacing (in the scenario) Jimmy. Mid tier contract money for an exciting QB would probably appeal to Mark Davis who also personally loves speed. I dunno if the Patriots element Davis hired would be on board. Probably would take something like Jimmy winning enough games to be out of range of blue chip prospects, but then getting hurt. Then trade for Kyler and maybe a bit more if they are in fire sale mode (like maybe Hollywood follows him and we add Renfrow or something?).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Also dang Colt McCoy is 36 years old.  This man might outlast his entire draft class.  I think the only other player from that draft still signed to an NFL team is Trent Williams

You know what they call a career backup that has hung around for 13-14 years?..........A multi-millionaire.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

If the Cardinals were heading towards #1 overall and Kyler gets cleared to play mid/late season, you’d put him in at the risk of losing the pick?

On 5/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, Daniel said:

But aren't we assuming that, if they're picking first overall, Kyler's play wouldn't even warrant middle of the pack?  I'm pretty clueless on the state of the Cardinals right now, but I didn't think they were that big of a mess to be in first overall contention without terrible QB play.

No. He might not play until late November/December. Colt McCoy is also injured.

And the defense was one of the worst in the NFL last year. Lost 3 of its 4 best players (JJ Watt, Zach Allen, Byron Murphy) and the 4th (Budda Baker) is wanting to leave town.

There's a very real chance that the Cardinals get a top-3 pick even IF Murray plays like a top-5 QB.

Part of me thinks, for how bad the Cardinals are gonna be on paper, that they should trade the #1 pick for a haul the likes of which we’ve never seen. The roster is in shambles. Bringing in a star QB is nice, but it’s not gonna move the needle much with how dreadful the team is.

Also, I feel like Williams is a very good prospect, but not some transcendent prospect that you will never see the likes of again. I know I’m in the minority there, so I felt that needed to be said. He isn’t Lawrence/Luck levels of good as a prospect. I feel like Drake Maye and Williams aren’t even that far off from each other. 

The haul for Caleb Williams will be generational. Kyler had to deal with the guy who lost more games than he won with Patrick Mahomes. I'm not ready to give up on Kyler Murray, and if he looks solid this season while the team falters around him, I think you gotta take the haul of picks and build around that. The QB doesn't win games on his own. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

The haul for Caleb Williams will be generational. Kyler had to deal with the guy who lost more games than he won with Patrick Mahomes. I'm not ready to give up on Kyler Murray, and if he looks solid this season while the team falters around him, I think you gotta take the haul of picks and build around that. The QB doesn't win games on his own. 

If Caleb Williams is who we think he is, this ain’t it.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:14 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

This kinda stuff is reserved for the dead period between the combine and draft.  Stroud was going back to school, Burrow MIGHT refuse to play for Cincy, etc etc bl;ah, blah blah.  How did those turn out?

And NIL isn't NFL contract money, even with rookie wage scales.  It also isn't the $65 mill plus he gets the first year of his second deal instead of being a year behind because he sat one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Has an Organization ever spent 3 individual top 10 picks on 3 separate QB in a 7 year span?

Honestly curious about this kind of ineptitude and whether its occured before?

They will have spent as many top 10 picks on the position in the last 7 years as the Saints have spent on top 100 picks on the position since 1981 (I believe that they have only drafted Archie Manning, Danny Wuerffel and Garrett Grayson in the top 100 in their entire history, and they took Dave Wilson in the 1981 supplemental draft...so 4 total) 

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Has an Organization ever spent 3 individual top 10 picks on 3 separate QB in a 7 year span?

Honestly curious about this kind of ineptitude and whether its occured before?

The Cardinals have been around for 125 years. I'm sure they've done it several times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Tennessee with Vince Young, Jake Locker and Marcus Mariota was a nine year split…