What happens to Kyler Murray if the Cardinals draft #1 overall?

notthatbluestuff

On 6/2/2023 at 8:28 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Has an Organization ever spent 3 individual top 10 picks on 3 separate QB in a 7 year span?

Browns spent 3 1st rounders on QBs in 6 years with Weeden, Manziel, and Mayfield, but the first 2 weren't top 10 picks. They also drafted Cody Kessler in the 3rd and DeShone Kizer in the 2nd during the same window.

• Like 1

trade him to some team stuck in the middle, it'll fail but that'll be their big move to change that.

Washington seems like the perfect match, New owners come in and make a splash.
Vikings if they finally move off Cousins.
Falcons should be in the middle, if they are fully out on Ridder..maybe they think Murray is the guy.
I don't think any of the Belichick tree will trade for him, takes off the Pats, Raiders and Titans.

Niners betting on medium tier and lower QBs that get hurt probably means another pendulum swing back this year.
I think AZ knows Kyler well enough to be fine trading him in division for an over bid, Lynch and Shanny are no stranger to sending a package of picks they shouldn't.

58 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

he’s a MVP candidate 

tim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.giftim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.giftim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.gif

• Like 5

On 6/9/2023 at 12:25 AM, Kiltman said:

trade him to some team stuck in the middle, it'll fail but that'll be their big move to change that.

Washington seems like the perfect match, New owners come in and make a splash.
Vikings if they finally move off Cousins.
Falcons should be in the middle, if they are fully out on Ridder..maybe they think Murray is the guy.
I don't think any of the Belichick tree will trade for him, takes off the Pats, Raiders and Titans.

Niners betting on medium tier and lower QBs that get hurt probably means another pendulum swing back this year.
I think AZ knows Kyler well enough to be fine trading him in division for an over bid, Lynch and Shanny are no stranger to sending a package of picks they shouldn't.

tim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.giftim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.giftim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.gif

You can’t conveniently left out “if healthy and in a better offense than Kliff Kingsbury ran one” he’s a mvp candidate which is a top 10 QB. He absolutely could be and  Vegas odds had him high up in 2021

On 6/9/2023 at 4:12 AM, Daniel said:

Ain’t no one giving the Cards a first for Kyler without him somehow looking better than he has his whole career.

I kinda feel like the Titans might if Levis doesn't impress Vrabel and Willis doesn't take a massive leap. Kyler would be a fast easy transition from Tannehill and if he brings Marquise Brown with him that's a WR2 to pair with Burks. The run game boost from Murray would help maintain a top run game with a Henry decline/move on. Without knowing the situation of basically anything, the potential of Kliff Kingsbury becoming Titan's OC would fit too. Kliff played with Vrabel and obviously drafted Murray and Murray is probably an expert in his system whereas likely isn't impressive in others. It's not like Tim Kelly is the safest OC in the world.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I kinda feel like the Titans might if Levis doesn't impress Vrabel and Willis doesn't take a massive leap. Kyler would be a fast easy transition from Tannehill and if he brings Marquise Brown with him that's a WR2 to pair with Burks. The run game boost from Murray would help maintain a top run game with a Henry decline/move on. Without knowing the situation of basically anything, the potential of Kliff Kingsbury becoming Titan's OC would fit too. Kliff played with Vrabel and obviously drafted Murray and Murray is probably an expert in his system whereas likely isn't impressive in others. It's not like Tim Kelly is the safest OC in the world.

Why would they?

If neither Levis or Willis shows promise by the end of the season, the Titans would be in full blown rebuild.  They invested essentially a first round pick in Levis already, so just blowing it up with another first rounder for a QB you also have to pay a ton of money to, and who's shown nothing, in a team that's rebuilding with no weapons just makes absolutely no sense.

Titans just replaced their OC with one of Vrabel's guys.  If they're in a position to replace him (and it's not because he's been hired as a head coach elsewhere), then there's a very good chance the entire staff has been turned over.

Not saying it's not technically possible, but it makes no sense on any side for it to happen.

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

You can’t conveniently left out “if healthy and in a better offense than Kliff Kingsbury ran one” he’s a mvp candidate which is a top 10 QB. He absolutely could be and  Vegas odds had him high up in 2021

I can if I don't believe in Murray on his own as a guy that could ever do that. And have multiple years since said odds to weigh into account.

But sure he could get votes, it's not impossible under the right circumstances. He's a QB, so there is always a chance at a vote.
Certain guys get hurt, he goes to a weak division, etc..sure. Derek Carr in his infinite mehness has received MVP votes.
And actual votes is even a step further than just candidacy, which is a much longer list.

I should clarify,

MVP caliber player? No.
Guy who could get a preseason nod for being an MVP Candidate? Sure i guess.

17 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I can if I don't believe in Murray on his own as a guy that could ever do that. And have multiple years since said odds to weigh into account.

But sure he could get votes, it's not impossible under the right circumstances. He's a QB, so there is always a chance at a vote.
Certain guys get hurt, he goes to a weak division, etc..sure. Derek Carr in his infinite mehness has received MVP votes.
And actual votes is even a step further than just candidacy, which is a much longer list.

I should clarify,

MVP caliber player? No.
Guy who could get a preseason nod for being an MVP Candidate? Sure i guess.

So yea, if in a better situation and healthy he’s a mvp candidate. He will have a market, the contract is another story but other teams will come calling. 

On 6/9/2023 at 4:12 AM, Daniel said:

Ain’t no one giving the Cards a first for Kyler without him somehow looking better than he has his whole career.

Just a reminder that someone gave up a first for a broken Carson Wentz.

It's got to be in the sweet spot, but wouldn't at all be shocked if someone gave up a first for Murray

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Forge said:

It's got to be in the sweet spot, but wouldn't at all be shocked if someone gave up a first for Murray

Id be more shocked if he didn’t fetch a 1st. There have been worse players that were traded for much more than a simple 1st rounder. Murray isn’t some amazing player and probably never will be, but he’s not a worthless turd. I think he’s an NFL starter with great upside still left in the tank. 

16 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Id be more shocked if he didn’t fetch a 1st. There have been worse players that were traded for much more than a simple 1st rounder. Murray isn’t some amazing player and probably never will be, but he’s not a worthless turd. I think he’s an NFL starter with great upside still left in the tank. 

Effectively, I don't think he's tradable.

1. With hindsight, he's either worth absolutely nothing because he doesn't like football and won't try, or he's worth multiple 1st round picks because he grew up.
  2. Both teams involved know that the Cardinals are going to have way more information about his work habits than the buying team.

So, if you're the buying team and the Cardinals are willing to deal him, that's an indication that he's lazy and truly worth nothing. It's only when the Cardinals don't want to deal him, indicating that he may have screwed his head on, that another team would want to deal him, but if he grew up the Cardinals should just keep him.

Similar issue to Jordan Love, except for Love it was all about the fact that the buying teams have no idea whether he's good at football or not, only the Packers do.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but has Kyler Murray had a season that was as good as Wentz's 2017 season?  I don't think so.  And Wentz had a pretty good 2019 too.  Injuries got him the other two years before the trade IIRC, so the Colts at least gave a first for a potentially high upside QB.  Everyone was picking them to win the division after all.

And I think you're more informed on this part, but will the team trading for Murray have to take on his enormous contract?  Because that also seems like a significant difference that makes him worth less.

Overall, I may just be lower on Murray than the consensus.  I don't think he's ever shown that he's actually a good QB.  But I also haven't watched him play that much, so I could be wrong.  I just don't know why any team would give away a first rounder for a diva QB that comes with an enormous contract that's never had a great season.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, Daniel said:

just blowing it up with another first rounder for a QB you also have to pay a ton of money to, and who's shown nothing, in a team that's rebuilding with no weapons just makes absolutely no sense.

IIRC Murray has shown plenty to the Titans specifically

• Like 1