What happens to Kyler Murray if the Cardinals draft #1 overall?

notthatbluestuff

If I understand the contract correctly, the Cards would be able to move Murray without absolutely destroying their cap by 2025, so they'd only need to carry him in 2024.  If they take a QB first overall, they'd not be crazy to just keep Murray if no one offers anything, and start him while the rookie sits.

If you're picking first overall, you have plenty of other issues other than QB, so they may not want to give the first overall pick Carr syndrome.  Plus, it'd be a way to showcase Murray in a positive way so someone would want to trade for him.

I don't think the Cards would release him just to release him, but I'm not sure anyone offers much for him if he plays so badly that they get the first overall pick.  Still, I think it'd be best to keep him on and use him as a buffer for the first year of rebuild as opposed to releasing him just because.  Plus, playing a bad QB in a rebuilding team just means more losses, so they get high picks again.

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If I understand the contract correctly, the Cards would be able to move Murray without absolutely destroying their cap by 2025, so they'd only need to carry him in 2024.  If they take a QB first overall, they'd not be crazy to just keep Murray if no one offers anything, and start him while the rookie sits.

They can trade him next year without destroying their cap. They'd actually save 5 million. 

I'd probably do that and take that all on in the first year of a rookie contract QB and get it out of the way. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

It depends on his contract situation...How would dead money be if he was traded or cut in the 2024 offseason?

And would they have a team that would be interested in him with this contract?

They'd save 5 million if they traded him after the 2024 season. Cutting him is not an option. He'd be like 81 Million in dead cap. But I don't suspect them to have issues trading him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

They can trade him next year without destroying their cap. They'd actually save 5 million. 

I'd probably do that and take that all on in the first year of a rookie contract QB and get it out of the way. 

Oh.  Well if that's the case, yeah, trading him for anything at all would be the thing to do.  The only caveat is what Murray would agree to accept from another team, because if he stinks it up that badly, I don't think anyone's paying him equivalently to the Cards contract.  Unless another team was trying to offload their own big hit contract and the Cards could take it on.

Just now, Daniel said:

Oh.  Well if that's the case, yeah, trading him for anything at all would be the thing to do.  The only caveat is what Murray would agree to accept from another team, because if he stinks it up that badly, I don't think anyone's paying him equivalently to the Cards contract.  Unless another team was trying to offload their own big hit contract and the Cards could take it on.

I think he'll get a pretty solid return. His contract isn't a bargain given how early they are moving him, but for the team acquiring him, it's only 2 million more per year (about 39.5, I think) than what Carr just got throughout the term of the deal and would be less than Daniel Jones' AAV. It's also ostensibly just a 3 year, 114M contact based on guarantees (he has money locking in a year in advance through 2026) which is only 38 million a season. There's a good chance that when Tua, Burrow, Herbert sign their deals that Kyler's AAV for a team acquiring him is closer to middle of the pack. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think he'll get a pretty solid return. His contract isn't a bargain given how early they are moving him, but for the team acquiring him, it's only 2 million more per year (about 39.5, I think) than what Carr just got throughout the term of the deal and would be less than Daniel Jones' AAV. It's also ostensibly just a 3 year, 114M contact based on guarantees (he has money locking in a year in advance through 2026) which is only 38 million a season. There's a good chance that when Tua, Burrow, Herbert sign their deals that Kyler's AAV for a team acquiring him is closer to middle of the pack. 

But aren't we assuming that, if they're picking first overall, Kyler's play wouldn't even warrant middle of the pack?  I'm pretty clueless on the state of the Cardinals right now, but I didn't think they were that big of a mess to be in first overall contention without terrible QB play.

Just now, Daniel said:

But aren't we assuming that, if they're picking first overall, Kyler's play wouldn't even warrant middle of the pack?  I'm pretty clueless on the state of the Cardinals right now, but I didn't think they were that big of a mess to be in first overall contention without terrible QB play.

I mean, that roster is pretty horrible, potentially the worst in the league and I'm not even sure how much he plays coming off the ACL. I'm also not sure what the expectation is in terms of his time to return. There's 0 reason for them to rush him back so I can't imagine that he's starting the season 

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They could have the first overall pick with the first round pick they have from the texans

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, that roster is pretty horrible, potentially the worst in the league and I'm not even sure how much he plays coming off the ACL. I'm also not sure what the expectation is in terms of his time to return. There's 0 reason for them to rush him back so I can't imagine that he's starting the season 

Well, that makes it look even more like an extremely easy answer then.

51 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

They could have the first overall pick with the first round pick they have from the texans

I have a tough time thinking the Texans get the first overall pick.  Yeah, they're a bad team, but both the Titans and Colts are rebuilding as well, and they play each twice.  They also play the entire NFC South, where we also have a bunch of rebuilds, the Cardinals, and the Broncos.  That's eight winnable games.

Now I don't think they sniff winning all eight of them, but if they just win half of those, that's enough to play out of the first overall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Kyler will likely miss the season.