2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are not in the same financial straits as the Dolphins.

Even if you view Landry as a luxury, we have more than enough money to spend on a luxury.

I don’t blame Landry for turning down a backloaded 13/season from the Dolphins and forcing their hand. 13/season is not unfair, but a backloaded deal puts all the control for the team and the risk for the player.

I don’t view Landry as a luxury. I view him as an above average possession receiver with a limited route tree and fumbling problems who’s about to get paid like a superstar, and I don’t want it to be us who does it. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Striking early and not over spending don’t really go together.

Landing the first wave requires you to open the check book and close down negotiations with other teams.

Yeah that's been his main problem. That's why we were in all the convos for the top CBs last offseason and didnt finish the deal. Even the Patriots opened up the checkbook last offseason. Time to get some deals done. 

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t view Landry as a luxury. I view him as an above average possession receiver with a limited route tree and fumbling problems who’s about to get paid like a superstar, and I don’t want it to be us who does it. 

He won’t be paid like a superstar. He will be paid like an above average WR.

If the Bears pay him 16-17 million I will Absolutley have an issue with it. That is elite money. 14 million is goodbye WR money with the likes of Alshon and DeVante Adams.

The fumbling issues was mostly on special teams as a rookie.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He won’t be paid like a superstar. He will be paid like an above average WR.

If the Bears pay him 16-17 million I will Absolutley have an issue with it. That is elite money. 14 million is goodbye WR money with the likes of Alshon and DeVante Adams.

The fumbling issues was mostly on special teams as a rookie.

Term it whatever you want to make you feel like that isn’t top tier money. $14M annually is in the top 15% amongst starting WR annual salary. 2 years from now even with inflation it’ll still be top 25%. 

Let me go on record if the Bears Trade a premium pick or pay Landry north of 14.5 million I am not going to be happy with the move.

He is a productive player, but he is limited and as AZ has said is not a superstar.

I offer the Dolphins the equivalent of the comp pick and I offer Landry a max value of 5/70/32 guaranteed. If either say no I move on to Albert Wilson and another tier 2 outside WR.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Term it whatever you want to make you feel like we aren’t giving him top tier money. $14M annually is in the top 15% amongst starting WR annual salary. 

Which is an outdated Considering Julio, Demaryius Thomas and AJ Green signed their deals 2 years ago and Beckham and Evans are getting extensions next year.

Based on deals executed this season it is above average starter money.

Elite WRs make 10-11% of the cap in the year they sign their contract 

Julio-10%

Green-10.5%

Dez-10%

Thomas-10%

Hopkins-10.5%

Brown-11%

By paying Landry 14/season he would be at 8%.

Top Slot Guys make 7-7.5% of the cap

Cobb-7%

Baldwin-7.6%

NBC Sports Chicago's John Mullin reports the Bears and Dolphins "have had conversations" about a trade involving Jordan Howard and Jarvis Landry.

According to Mullin, the discussed deal would send Howard and the No. 8 pick to Miami in exchange for Landry, the No. 11 pick, and a third-round selection. Howard has been the engine of the offense since the Bears selected him in the fifth round of the 2016 draft, gaining 2,858 yards from scrimmage in two seasons. Mullin reports new coach Matt Nagy has concerns about Howard's fit in his offense, however, specifically in the passing game. Pro Football Focus has charted Howard with 14 drops in just two seasons.

Can honest;y say I would lose it if this happened...Greg Olsen 2.0.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Vinny Curry being cut from the Eagles...could do far worse.

He would be a solid add on the strong side.

This pass rush market is garbage.

He would be a starter and would allow us to not force it in the draft,

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Elite WRs make 10-11% of the cap in the year they sign their contract 

Julio-10%

Green-10.5%

Dez-10%

Thomas-10%

Hopkins-10.5%

Brown-11%

By paying Landry 14/season he would be at 8%.

Top Slot Guys make 7-7.5% of the cap

Cobb-7%

Baldwin-7.6%

Landry isn’t on Baldwin’s level. Baldwin outproduces him on 75% of the target volume. 

I’m over this Windy. We’ve been talking in circles on Landry for weeks. Landry is a $9-10M player likely to get $14M a year and is going to cost a mid-round pick for the right to pay him. You’re comfortable with that and I’m not. It is what it is. If he ends up here I hope and pray that I’m completely wrong about him. 

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

His sack production is underwhelming (5+ sacks just once in 6 seasons, in 2014) and I don’t think he’s ever played standing up before (may be wrong on the latter). To me he’s a rotational guy. I’d rather look elsewhere if we are seeking a starter. I’d rather put Houston in that role tbh. 

Rap is reporting now the eagles are trying to get him to restructure.

His sack numbers are a underwhelming, but he was a productive member of a very good defense.

Does anyone have access to his pressure and disruption numbers?

He would be a very similar style of player to Pernell McPhee in this defense.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Unfortunately EVERY Bears' position of need is crap in the FA market.  Ironically-and hilariously-the FA QB class is about as good as it's ever been.  What position in FA _doesn't_ suck? WR is middling and going to be overpaid. EDGE is thin as a toothpick.  OG is probably best but still expensive and thin.  Actually CB might be the best, but frankly we should pay in house on that one.  Bears are aimed backwards for this FA offseason/

Archived