3rd Quarter Mock 2018

Madmike90

Basic Concepts of this draft…

Offensively run Zone Concept with power backs…Spread the ball around to multiple WRs who bring different skill sets in terms of speed and size…use easy route concepts to develop Trubisky while using his athletic ability to its fullest.

Defensively dominate the LOS with a big physical DL and add speed at every level…rebuild the OLB position…hit the opposing QB as much as possible and be aggressive.

For Pace…being aggressive and understanding that the hire has to be right and he has to find playmakers to start winning now before his seat gets hot.

Retain GM Ryan Pace…

I have always believed Pace was forced into the Fox hire because ownership wanted someone with experience…I would also say he has had more wins than loses when it comes to free agency and the draft so he gets to hire his own guy.

Fire HC John Fox…OC Dowell LoggainsDC Vic Fangio…ST Jeff Rodgers…

This is about as self-explanatory as anything you will see in football…the team is underprepared, poorly coached and poorly motivated…we haven’t been able to design an offence that puts our guys in position to win and our D has been vanilla for far too long…time to make a change.

Hire LA Rams OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach…

The NFL is a copycat league and we do exactly what the Rams did and take a young offensive mind who can come in and develop Trubisky…the change from year one to two in Jared Goff is frankly amazing…Goff has went from looking like a massive bust to being 6th in the NFL in YPG while having no elite receiving weapons and playing with a number of rookies…the Rams offence in year one are currently 4th in the NFL in yards…7th in 3rd down pct and 2nd in the NFL in PPG averaging almost 30…I think LaFleur brings a readymade offence and despite his young age he has been working with QBs for the past seven years giving him more experience than some of the other young candidates…I’m changing it up from Nagy because of that added experience and some of the coaches he could be able to call upon to make up with staff.

Hire Cincinnati Bengals LB Coach Jim Haslett as Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Coach…

Much like the Rams did we should look to pair an innovative mind with an experienced head…Haslett was HC in New Orleans between 2000-2005…he served as DC for NO, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Washington…there isn’t much he won’t have seen in football and that experience would be excellent to pair with LaFleur with them both serving on the Redskins staff for a number of years.

Hire Dallas OL Coach Frank Pollack as Offensive Coordinator…

I expect LaFleur to be able to deal with implementing the offensive gameplan on a weekly basis and call plays which opens up the ability for us to find the best offensive line coach we can in order to build a wall in front of Trubisky and open up holes on the offensive line…Pollack has done an excellent job since 2015 turning the Cowboys into the best OL in football…we have some quality pieces in place for him to come here and do much the same especially if we can add to it this offseason…Pollock and LaFleur worked on the same staff in Houston.

Hire Tennessee LB Coach Lou Spanos as Defensive Coordinator…

I would have no problem if Fangio wanted to stay but it becomes complicated with a new HC who has never had any known connection to the guy so if we do need to look for someone new I think we should stick with a 3-4 D…Spanos has some experience of calling defence all be in college with UCLA but his real experience comes from working under **** LeBeau in Pittsburgh…add in that he worked under Haslett and on the same staff as LaFleur in Washington and you add a guy with experience around some quality coaches and in an outstanding Pittsburgh scheme for 14 years…according to some of the players he has been around he is a ball of energy and should really help with our pass rushing LBs as that is his speciality.

Hire Baltimore AST Coach Chris Horton as Special Teams Coach…

Our special teams have been a joke for a number of years…Dave Toub is the best ST coach in football so Nagy will understand the importance of it…Toub doesn’t have a long-term assistant but Baltimore have an excellent special team’s unit and Horton has worked under some excellent coaching staff including John Harbaugh which would give him a leg up when steeping up to a bigger role.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

WR…Dontrelle Inman

DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well and fits LaFleur’s scheme…Inman will make a solid #2/#3…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones has really started to come along…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller who again has really stepped up…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

RB…Taquan Mizzell

WR…Kendall Wright

WR…Josh Bellamy

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Connor Barth

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…Mizzell isn’t worth a roster spot…Wright hasn’t done enough to stick on the roster next year…time for Bellamy to go…Miller is getting older and has always been injury prone so no need to enter into a new deal with him…Sowell & Compton are both decent backups but hopefully lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…Acho hopefully loses our to younger guys…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Barth can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

TE…Dion Sims

OG…Josh Sitton

ILB…Jerrell Freeman

OLB…Pernell McPhee

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next season…Wheaton is being paid for not much…Sims just isn’t worth the money…Sitton is the most interesting one and I feel I should explain…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…that is a lot and if we can sign Andrew Nowell at 26 years old for the same kind of money we would be on to a winner…Freeman has one too many bans…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

QB…Drew Stanton…6-3” 233lbs…

Trubisky is off to a solid start as a starter but we need to bring in a backup who can guide him through the tough times…that is not Glennon or Sanchez…Stanton on the other hand is a QB who shares more of a skill set with Trubisky showing the ability to bootleg and move around in the pocket…he would be a solid fit in LaFleur’s scheme and hopefully a quality clipboard holder.

WR…Paul Richardson…6-0” 185lbs…

We have seen just how bad things have been without NFL calibre receivers and the last thing we can do is leave Trubisky out there for another season without help on the outside…Richardson has had some injury issues in the past but seems to be over then and he has become a true deep threat in Seattle…here he would add that speed and ability to spread the field which would open up our running game as well as the underneath routes for some of our bigger WRs like Cam on the outside.

WR…Ryan Grant…6-0” 205lbs…

Grant is a WR who doesn’t bring any unique skills or ability but he is very solid in his all round game and has played in LaFleur’s scheme in the past…he can play both inside and out and has done some great work on teams in Washington…he is basically a big upgraded version of Bellamy.

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

OG…Andrew Norwell…6-6” 325lbs…

As I explained above this move would allow us to move on from Josh Sitton but upgrading to a younger healthy model for about the same price…Norwell is an excellent OG in both the passing and rushing game giving up just two sacks last season and finishing as PFF’s 7th overall OG…he would combine with Whitehair and Long to form unquestionably the best interior OL in the NFL and keep Trubisky upright as well as blowing open holes in the running game.

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

ILB…Kevin Minter…6-0” 245lbs…

We have to replace the loss of Freeman and our best route to do that would be in FA so we can add experience and leadership to our LB core…especially since when Trevathan isn’t on the field our D looks lost…I mocked Minter to us last season because I think he is a really solid pro inside…his move to the Bengals from AZ didn’t really work out but he follows Haslett here and get’s back to being in a 3-4 D where he can make a bigger impact…his leadership will be his biggest selling point.

OLB…Aaron Lynch…6-6” 270lbs…

Time to start rebuilding the OLB position…you can never have enough pass rushers and right now we are sorely lacking…Floyd still has plenty of potential but under Fangio’s bend don’t break vanilla D he isn’t being used creatively enough…Young still get some sacks but is getting older…and I can’t see us holding on to McPhee at his price so we go for a younger option…Lynch started his NFL career with 12.5 sacks in his first two seasons but has fallen off since…he is a high upside low risk signing who with his size can play the strong side in the 3-4 as a base run defender who can also get after the QB and then on to the DL in the nickel.

Draft…

Bears Trade 5th Overall Pick to Arizona for 1st, 2nd & 4th round picks in 2018 Draft as well as 1st & 3rd round picks in 2019…

The going rate for a QB at the top of the draft…I reckon they will be picking from the 13-16 range…this could be a number of teams but I picked Arizona because Arians doesn’t have long left as an NFL HC and he will want a shot at a title…without a QB that isn’t going to happen.

Round 1 via AZ…

OLB…Clelin Ferrell…6-4” 265lbs…Clemson…

As I have said before we need to add playmakers on this D…Leonard Floyd has continued to look like he could really develop into a error off the edge but apart from him we have noting…McPhee is always injured…Young is slowing down and Acho isn’t much of a pass rusher…we need to rebuild the position…adding Lynch in FA is a decent start but we badly need to add a dominant outside rusher…Chubb and Key will more than likely be off the board by this point so we go with Ferrell who is a real all rounder off the edge…Ferrell doesn’t just win with speed but has great hand usage and solid power combined with the agility to turn the corner…he would be an excellent addition to both base and nickel D.

Round 2…

CB…Josh Jackson…6-0” 190lbs…Iowa…

Brining in Haslett and Spanos means we will bring a lot of **** LeBeau concepts which means heavy zone blitzing…for that you need guys who can take the ball away when given the opportunity…I love the idea of Fuller playing in the nickel…his aggressiveness and versatility would allow us to do a lot of different things with him much like the Steelers used to do with Troy to a lesser extent…that means you need a new starting CB on the outside and Jackson would be the perfect zone CB…he doesn’t have outstanding long speed but his size, length physicality and most importantly his ball skills would allow him to be a playmaker on the backend for us.

Round 2 via AZ…

WR…Dante Pettis…6-0” 185lbs…Washington…

IMO this is the best WR all round WR in college football right now…yes he is undersized in terms of weight but man this guy does it all…he is as smooth as silk in and out of his routes…he is not just fast in a straight line but he maintains that speed…he is savvy…great hands…will go up and get the ball…even tho his frame is very similar to Johnny Knox he is tough as hell and loves to block for his RBs…he can even throw…I love the idea of him lining up all over the formation which he has done at Washington with Richardson as a deep threat on one side and Meredith with his size on the other…makes things far tougher to cover and gives Trubisky some real weapons.

Bears trade AZ 2019 1st round pick for 2nd round pick in 2018…

Round 2 via trade…

DE…Taven Bryan…6-4” 295lbs…Florida…

More front seven help…ever since we moved to a 3-4 D we have been missing the key component of that D in a 5 tech…Hicks is an excellent LE who plays with outstanding power and leverage…Goldman on the nose is excellent as well and ties up blockers but we haven’t had that 3rd man to take advantage of those two being doubled…Bryan gives us that…he isn’t the finished article but he is extremely athletic for his size with terrific get off…with more reps and coaching he should be able to turn that athletic ability in to being an excellent interior pass rusher…also offers scheme versatility like Ferrell as he could play as a base elephant end if we were to move back to a 4-3 D.

Round 4…

TE…Dallas Goedert…6-3” 255lbs…South Dekota State…

More turnover at the TE spot…Shaheen takes over as the every down TE…I have no idea why that hasn’t already happened since in limited action he has already looked better than Sims…Niklas comes in to be the blocking TE and clear #3 but we need a #2 flex type of TE for LaFleur’s scheme…Goedert is the perfect complement for that…he has been highly productive from multiple spots even with teams focusing on him…he has the athletic ability and natural receiving skills required for that flex spot.

Round 4 via AZ…

OT…Desmond Harrison…6-6” 300lbs…West Georgia…

The offensive tackle position is in need of some renovation itself…Leno has played pretty well out with some stupid penalties so will do for another year or two…Massie on the other hand is just so inconsistent that you struggle to see him being able to stick around much longer…we could address the OT position before this but the reason I am sticking with him for another year has two main parts…1. Trubisky will get rid of the ball quicker in year two…2. I think in a full-blown zone scheme he will be far better than he has been so far for us…that said picking up another OT to compete is essential…Harrison was formally a top recruit at Texas before having some academic issues and ending up at Georgia…he does tho have a great combination of size, strength and athletic ability which means he could at best develop into a LT and if not has more than enough to hold his own on the right-hand side.

Round 4…

OLB…Jaylon Ferguson…6-4” 270lbs…LA Tech…

More rebuilding for the OLB position…adding Ferrell to Floyd gives you two quality starters and getting Lynch in FA gives you a 3rd guy who can play in base to let these two rest but as we have seen injuries happen and you can never have enough excellent pass rushers…Ferguson is a handful off the edge and has been very productive at LA Tech…his ability to line up both on and off the ball is interesting as well for a 4th OLB…on my depth chart I have us keeping 5 OLBs but if Ferguson does well enough he could knock Young off the roster saving us some money and allowing us to keep another DB.

Round 5…

RB…Jarvion Franklin…6-0” 225lbs…Western Michigan…

The running game will continue to be just as important under LaFleur as it was under Fox but for very different reasons…we may not see as many runs but we will see a more effective running attack used to set up the playaction and deep passes…Howard’s numbers have been down a little this year but only because teams have not had to worry about our passing game enough not to simply load the box and bottle up the run…I expect that to change and I also expect us to take some of the load off of Howard and make him a more effective runner rather than a volume one…Franklin is a very similar back and would give us another power runner in the backfield allowing us to use both he and Howard to pound teams then sprinkle in a little Cohen at both RB, WR and in any other spot we think we can get him in space.

Round 6…

K…Daniel Carlson…6-4” 218lbs…Auburn…

Santos hasn’t looked healthy since he got here so finding a long term solution would be a good idea…Carlson is the best kicker in the nation IMO.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Drew Stanton                        

RB…Jordan Howard…Jarvion Franklin…Benny Cummingham

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Cameron Meredith…Dontrelle Inman…Tarik Cohen

WR…Paul Richardson…Kevin White                        

WR…Dante Pettis…Ryan Grant                  

TE…Adam Shaheen… Dallas Goedert…Troy Niklas

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Andrew Norwell…Jordan Morgan                    

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu/Erich Kush                    

RG…Kyle Long                                                   

RT…Bobby Massie…Desmond Harrison                 

LE…Akiem Hicks …Mitch Unrein                 

NT…Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis                

RE…Taven Bryan…Jonathan Bullard                         

LOLB…Clelin Ferrell…Aaron Lynch                            

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                 

ILB…Kevin Minter…Christian Jones                          

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Willie Young…Jaylon Ferguson

NB…Kyle Fuller…Bryce Callahan                

CB…Prince Amukamara…Marcus Cooper                             

CB…Josh Jackson…Cre'Von LeBlanc                         

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson     

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Daniel Carlson

LS…Andrew DePaola      

Obviously I would make that deal in a heart beat. I just don't think the draft pick fairy will visit us like that. 

The problem with that deal is that the Colts at 4 would probably jump at it.

The bears need to be at 3 if they really want to be able to leverage some value out of the pick.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Obviously I would make that deal in a heart beat. I just don't think the draft pick fairy will visit us like that. 

The problem with that deal is that the Colts at 4 would probably jump at it.

The bears need to be at 3 if they really want to be able to leverage some value out of the pick.

I don't know why you would think we couldn't get that for the pick...it's basically the same deal STL gave up for Goff...

Obviously there are multiple things that could happen in terms of trades but this certainly isn't out of the ordinary given what we have seen given up for QB's in the past.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't know why you would think we couldn't get that for the pick...it's basically the same deal STL gave up for Goff...

Obviously there are multiple things that could happen in terms of trades but this certainly isn't out of the ordinary given what we have seen given up for QB's in the past.

I am saying being at 5 complicates it. The Rams went to 1, huge difference.

We would need at least 3 QBs to be worthy of a top 5 pick.

We would need the team ahead of us to not take the deal.

With Clev, NYG and Den ahead of us I can't see a QB bidding war happening at 5 they will be gone.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With Clev, NYG and Den ahead of us I can't see a QB bidding war happening at 5 they will be gone.

I have Cousins ending up in Denver...I think the Giants are locked in on a QB but I reckon the Browns won't be...just a feeling but I think Kizer will have done enough for them to try and get him help and see what he will be like long term.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Status quo? Sure. Who’s to say that Eli doesn’t land in Denver though? Or Cousins? Or one of the Minnesota QBs in NY? That Giants team won 11 games last year and in spite of this year’s implosion is largely built to win now. Give them Cousins or Bradford and Saquon Barkley, plus their health back and they’re arguably a contender day one. Cleveland could opt to go with Garrett and Chubb off the edge, knowing they can still get Mayfield or Allen at the bottom of the top 10 or by trading up from there with one of their many extra picks? The equation has a lot more moving parts than you’re letting on.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Status quo? Sure. Who’s to say that Eli doesn’t land in Denver though? Or Cousins? Or one of the Minnesota QBs in NY? That Giants team won 11 games last year and in spite of this year’s implosion is largely built to win now. Give them Cousins or Bradford and Saquon Barkley, plus their health back and they’re arguably a contender day one. Cleveland could opt to go with Garrett and Chubb off the edge, knowing they can still get Mayfield or Allen at the bottom of the top 10 or by trading up from there with one of their many extra picks? The equation has a lot more moving parts than you’re letting on.

Millions of moving parts. But pick 5 is not traditionally a move point for QB.

If we want to be in the heart of the QB trade discussion we need to get ahead of the Colts and any other team that is not picking QB so we have the position.

It is a nice idea. But we are probably going to have to try and build this thing without a ton of extra picks.

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Millions of moving parts. But pick 5 is not traditionally a move point for QB.

If we want to be in the heart of the QB trade discussion we need to get ahead of the Colts and any other team that is not picking QB so we have the position.

It is a nice idea. But we are probably going to have to try and build this thing without a ton of extra picks.

I don't know Windy, I mean look at what the KC gave up to draft Mahomes at #10 and what Texans gave up to draft Watson at #12 last year.    Just because the Bears may not finish in the top 2 or 3 picks does not mean teams won't be eager to trade up to their pick, wherever it lands.  We just have to wait and see how the chips fall on draft day.

If Bears can't land Bradley Chubb wherever they end up drafting then I'm doing all I can to trade down and accumulate mass picks.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know Windy, I mean look at what the KC gave up to draft Mahomes at #10 and what Texans gave up to draft Watson at #12 last year.    Just because the Bears may not finish in the top 2 or 3 picks does not mean teams won't be eager to trade up to their pick, wherever it lands.  We just have to wait and see how the chips fall on draft day.

If Bears can't land Bradley Chubb wherever they end up drafting then I'm doing all I can to trade down and accumulate mass picks.

I would trade down no matter what.

I like the Free agents.  I like the beef up in the middle of the D.  Josh Allen would have to vault himself into top 5 consideration to make your draft scenario work.  you have the browns giants and broncos who are all going to take QBs and if you really want to get "your guy" you trade up to the 49ers pick to secure the better prospect.       

That would be a haul, I just have the feeling the Bears are going to win 2 more games and screw it up, and even so it would take some serious luck to have some team give up that much capital. Would love this draft although I think I'd rather spend at OL than TE, but aside from that it would be great.  

So,  just to provide some optimism around here,  considering all of the mock drafts around here, each one ends with the Bears not having a lot of holes, which is the first year in a long time I think you could say that. If the rookies-Trubisky most important obviously-play well, the next HC will have a pretty decent roster.  I feel like they're a lot more talented than 3-13, especially if they can somehow avoid the huge injury list.  Bring on 2018!

Archived