Preseason Thread

INbengalfan

BTW...Collins, regardless of his shakiness at times last year, is still a much better option at RT than Carman.  Carman is absolutely junk and i'm still not sure why more people aren't behind that notion.  Regardless, if i'm the Bengals i would go ahead and pay Collins knowing that the last two seasons ended in heart breakers because of an injury to the RT with no real backup plan.  Collins is a real plan, even though he's expensive. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, theJ said:

BTW...Collins, regardless of his shakiness at times last year, is still a much better option at RT than Carman.  Carman is absolutely junk and i'm still not sure why more people aren't behind that notion.  Regardless, if i'm the Bengals i would go ahead and pay Collins knowing that the last two seasons ended in heart breakers because of an injury to the RT with no real backup plan.  Collins is a real plan, even though he's expensive. 

Yep.

20 hours ago, theJ said:

Carman is junk at RT.  And RG.  But he has definitely flashed at LT, except against speed rushers.  We love to credit the snow in the Buffalo game, but really, it was Von Miller being out.  He's had other good games too, and he narrowly got beat out by Volson last year, whatever that means.  So maybe he is just a backup LT/LG, which really makes Sharping irrelevant and allows them to keep both Trey Hill and Ben Brown as backup C/Gs.

As for Collins, yeah, it's a lot for a backup, but then again Orlando is only averaging $16 mill per, sko it all evens out.

18 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Carman is junk at RT.  And RG.  But he has definitely flashed at LT, except against speed rushers.  We love to credit the snow in the Buffalo game, but really, it was Von Miller being out.  He's had other good games too, and he narrowly got beat out by Volson last year, whatever that means.  So maybe he is just a backup LT/LG, which really makes Sharping irrelevant and allows them to keep both Trey Hill and Ben Brown as backup C/Gs.

As for Collins, yeah, it's a lot for a backup, but then again Orlando is only averaging $16 mill per, sko it all evens out.

He's pretty terrible at LG as well.  He had two + games at LT.  I'm not sure that's enough to keep him around given the other 2 years of tape they have on him.

A lot will come down to how bad the other options are at backup LG and LT.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

He's pretty terrible at LG as well.  He had two + games at LT.  I'm not sure that's enough to keep him around given the other 2 years of tape they have on him.

A lot will come down to how bad the other options are at backup LG and LT.

I always come back to "who's better"?  They need four guys that can play tackle.  Obviously Brown and Jonah.  Then who?  D'ante Smith looked way better that Carman, sure.  But the other possibilities are Adeniji and Ford.  Do you feel better with either of those two than Carman?  I don't.  They both have struggled in the past at OT and RG.  Carman at least is passible LT depth.

Either way, once Collins is healthy, it's all moot.  

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I always come back to "who's better"?  They need four guys that can play tackle.  Obviously Brown and Jonah.  Then who?  D'ante Smith looked way better that Carman, sure.  But the other possibilities are Adeniji and Ford.  Do you feel better with either of those two than Carman?  I don't.  They both have struggled in the past at OT and RG.  Carman at least is passible LT depth.

Smith winning that swing tackle job would make me happy. Adeneji can move along any time and I'd be happy. I think we're ok this year, but in all honesty, we probably need another young tackle early in the next draft as Jonah and possibly Collins will not be here next year.

23 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Smith winning that swing tackle job would make me happy. Adeneji can move along any time and I'd be happy. I think we're ok this year, but in all honesty, we probably need another young tackle early in the next draft as Jonah and possibly Collins will not be here next year.

Definitely.  First few rounds (at least right now), should focus on RT, TE, 3t and NT, and 2 NT if Reader isn't extended.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

it's all kind of garbage after the top 2.  I'm really curious how Carman has looked at LT in practice the last week since losing the RT competition.  Is he giving any flashes of what he was doing last year in the playoffs?  If not, i'm ready them for cut bait to D'ante.  Adeniji or Ford don't excite me, but no one has gotten more chances than Carman and consistently underperformed. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

it's all kind of garbage after the top 2.  I'm really curious how Carman has looked at LT in practice the last week since losing the RT competition.  Is he giving any flashes of what he was doing last year in the playoffs?  If not, i'm ready them for cut bait to D'ante.  Adeniji or Ford don't excite me, but no one has gotten more chances than Carman and consistently underperformed. 

Hopefully the Giants decide they need another OT, and offer another BJ Hill for Billy Price kind of trade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theJ said:

My issue with Carman more than anything is he looks lost mentally and can lack effort. There's no place for that on our team, or professional sports for that matter.

• Like 1