New to Superflex - Need Help

SmittyBacall

I am in need of your assistance. Our long time fantasy league is transitioning from a standard layout to a newly added superflex. This is completely new to me, and apparently it shuffles the draft a ton, shooting a ton of QBs up boards and into the first. Help.

What will the draft look like / what can I expect?

What’s a winning strategy?

Is it fun / worth it?

Any tips?

Positions as follows:

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

TE

Supeflex

DEF

I find it fun simply because its different although more and more widely accepted. My home league has been exactly the same for so long I wish they'd mix it up. 

How is the rest of the scoring? Is it TE premium? Full point PPR?

QBs definitely will go early, id expect at least 4 QBs go R1, possibly more if its half-point or non-ppr

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I find it fun simply because its different although more and more widely accepted. My home league has been exactly the same for so long I wish they'd mix it up. 

How is the rest of the scoring? Is it TE premium? Full point PPR?

QBs definitely will go early, id expect at least 4 QBs go R1, possibly more if its half-point or non-ppr

Half point PPR, no TE premium.

What worries me is we have a 12 team league (presumably with each team starting 2 QBs), and each team wanting a back up, and yet there’s only 32 starting QBs available, if that. How important is it to have 3 starters, or is 2 enough?

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What worries me is we have a 12 team league (presumably with each team starting 2 QBs), and each team wanting a back up, and yet there’s only 32 starting QBs available, if that. How important is it to have 3 starters, or is 2 enough?

It would be nice to have 3 but i wouldnt say its a major priority when there are other starting positions that need to be filled. The very bottom tier of QBs might not actually produce THAT much better than a RB/WR in a .5PPR league
For instance in a 6pt per passing TD league Mac Jones(a non Top-24 QB) averaged 14 ppg). Its not unfathomable to have a RB/WR get close to that with a decent matchup

i am far from the expert on SF but i have some experience

15 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Is it a 4 or 6 points for throwing TD league?  And other than that, are there other changes to QB settings? One of my leagues with a super flex nerfed the QB scoring (4 point TDs and 33 yards for a point instead of 25) so the top 3 players were in fact WR/RB and only 12 QBs finished in the top 50 players overall.  In a 6 point passing TD league with 25 yards per point and full PPR, QBs were the top 4 scorers and 20 QBs (including Mariota) were in the top 50.  So seeing how QB scoring stacks up in your league is super important. 

In general, you will see leagues where QBs are scoring more so in that instance, fill your starters and draft a third later if you don't like the value of remaining WR/RBs.  It all depends on where you pick but I would say Mahomes and Allen will go early, maybe 1 and 2.  Hurts, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Fields, and Lawrence could all go first round and likely will all be gone by the end of the second round.  I would hope to get at least one of them if I were you and if possible maybe 2 of them depending on who else is available.  Don't pass up elite WRs and RBs for guys like Goff and Cousins but those guys will probably go by round four or five so you will have to reach over mid level skill positions.  Kelce is still a cheat code if everyone is required to play a TE because he scores 120 more points than the second highest TE so is worth a look early. 

Most importantly, know your draft spot.  If you are close to one of the ends, you can't react to a run on QBs.  If you pick 6/7 in the round, you have fewer picks between you and can risk it a little more than if at the ends.  Don't have a predetermined gameplan and take what falls to you in the draft like if three QBs go in the top 3, JJ or CMC are great options over QB4 since they score a lot more than the #5 WR etc.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Is it a 4 or 6 points for throwing TD league? 

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And other than that, are there other changes to QB settings?

Nope, 25 yards per point. Which is crazy, because Kirk Cousins, Geno Smith, and Daniel Jones easily outscored guys like AJ Brown and Ceedee Lamb last year.

39 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

In general, you will see leagues where QBs are scoring more so in that instance, fill your starters and draft a third later if you don't like the value of remaining WR/RBs.  It all depends on where you pick but I would say Mahomes and Allen will go early, maybe 1 and 2.  Hurts, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Herbert, Fields, and Lawrence could all go first round and likely will all be gone by the end of the second round.  I would hope to get at least one of them if I were you and if possible maybe 2 of them depending on who else is available.  Don't pass up elite WRs and RBs for guys like Goff and Cousins but those guys will probably go by round four or five so you will have to reach over mid level skill positions.  Kelce is still a cheat code if everyone is required to play a TE because he scores 120 more points than the second highest TE so is worth a look early. 

Most importantly, know your draft spot.  If you are close to one of the ends, you can't react to a run on QBs.  If you pick 6/7 in the round, you have fewer picks between you and can risk it a little more than if at the ends.  Don't have a predetermined gameplan and take what falls to you in the draft like if three QBs go in the top 3, JJ or CMC are great options over QB4 since they score a lot more than the #5 WR etc.   

Well noted. I'm hoping to get out of the first with two high-end starters. Ideally picking in the bottom third and going Hurts/Burrow -> Justin Fields/Trevor Lawrence.

The elite QBs will still be highly valued. Slight bump for running QBs relative to passing QBs with the 4 points per passing TD. The 0.5 PPR reduces the value of skilled position players relative to QBs. If you can get two top 10 QBs, you do it. Those guys will likely outlive the high profile RBs, and WRs are devalued a bit in 0.5PPR. It's nearly impossible to trade for strong QB1's. It is a little more difficulty to predict what to do with QB3+. If there is a QB with value at that spot, you should grab them. But I wouldn't force the issues to get Mayfield/Tannehill over legit RBs/TEs/WRs. Unless it's Kelce, I'd wait at the TE position. Don't draft a rookie TE unless it's really late and you already have a good veteran TE. The hit rate is abysmal, and every year there are TEs that come out of nowhere and post top 10 TE numbers while those rookie TEs do nothing for the next 4 seasons.

Edited by sammymvpknight

SF makes fantasy so much more fun and adds a lot of strategy you don't get in 1qb.  Every draft is a little different, in this format I would totally fade TE and obv DEF, take for the best QB possible in the 1st round and then probably nab a Cousins type in the ~5th. You need 3QBs, possibly even 4 depending on who your top 2 are

Edited by adamq

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's the thing though. How is every team in a 12 team league expected to have 3 QBs (2 starters + bench)? That's 36 QBs.

3 QBs would be ideal but if you get 2 good ones I don't think the 3rd is absolutely necessary. 

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's the thing though. How is every team in a 12 team league expected to have 3 QBs (2 starters + bench)? That's 36 QBs.

Just part of the strategy and how much you want to invest into the position... instead of that 4th WR or whatever in round 10 you might want to grab a QB3 before they are all gone.

If I've got Herbert and Dak, I might be fine with just having one or two Sam Darnold/Stetson Bennett types as a potential spot starter or trade chip. The 2 bye weeks can be filled by a WR in the SF if necessary of course.. I have a couple teams this way but normally want at least 3

But if my QBs are Danny Dimes and Derek Carr, I'm going to want at least 1 Jimmy G or Sam Howell level player to fill in when there are matchups I don't like.

Depending on the scoring settings and amount of starters, you can also leverage the position against the rest of your league with a good ol' QB hoard. The value has to be right, but you can take 5+ QBs to begin the draft and strong arm QB needy teams later on

• Like 1