2023 College Football Thread

Norm

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol no they can't, you think they can change the rules now where a committee decides the playoff teams? They set a precedent back when the league wasn't about money and now they're stuck with it.

I'm sure when a team loses a QB right before the playoffs they'd love to put a different team in instead.

Not sure the NFL set a precedent of "let the athletes play the actual games" to determine a winner. That's been established for human history. 

CFB is more overtly money hungry and set the precedent for literally the absolute dumbest possible "postseason" of any major (or minor) human sport.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Was a little easier last year cause everyone had 2 losses other than those 4, and TCU-Michigan turned out to be the best game, but also made for the worst NC I can remember.

Exactly. We're on the same page I think. I think they try to blend between both sides is where I'm at. Or they'd just put ND in every year no matter what lol

Just now, incognito_man said:

Yes? Obviously...

Along with at least 11 other teams based on objective criteria understood, and theoretically achievable, by every team in the sport at the beginning of the season.

Based on your feelings or what would happen on the field?

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nobody believes there's any integrity.

It's a stupid system and the product sucks because of it

You admitted you don't watch, but yet you know the quality of product....OK. Sounds like a really valid opinion.

CFP is a great product when looking at individual games, wrapped up in a corrupt system that will get slightly more difficult to screw people over with the expanded playoff.

• Like 2

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You admitted you don't watch, but yet you know the quality of product....OK. Sounds like a really valid opinion.

CFP is a great product when looking at individual games, wrapped up in a corrupt system that will get slightly more difficult to screw people over with the expanded playoff.

I don't watch... because it's a stupid system and dumb product. So yes, it's a valid opinion shared by anyone who realizes it's impossibly stupid to even start to watch because a room of people decide who makes the playoffs. 

It's laughably stupid of you can take a baby half step back and think about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure the NFL set a precedent of "let the athletes play the actual games" to determine a winner. That's been established for human history. 

CFB is more overtly money hungry and set the precedent for literally the absolute dumbest possible "postseason" of any major (or minor) human sport.

Yeah the 4 team playoff is stupid, that's why it's expanded to 12.

FSU wasn't going anywhere with a backup QB, they could barely beat non bowl-eligible teams. Committee took them out to make a better product for the masses. Is what it is. As someone who isn't a fan of FSU, I'm glad I get to watch a better game. As someone who won't watch the game, you shouldn't care.

Just now, Norm said:

It just seems like you want them in for moral reasons not because they are that good without their QB. I'm not very articulate today on this lol

I want the league to operate like literally EVERY other sport where each team has an objective path to win the championship.

Otherwise what is the point? It's just flat out stupid that ANY undefeated team has NO chance to win the championship. 

It's totally indefensible.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The NFL playoff is imperfect as well. Nobody wants to say it because it's impossible to have series, but one game playoffs aren't a great indicator of who's the actual best. 

But yeah expansion will help. They'll still ***** but it'll matter less. Until a 12 seed wins I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Norm said:

The NFL playoff is imperfect as well. Nobody wants to say it because it's impossible to have series, but one game playoffs aren't a great indicator of who's the actual best. 

But yeah expansion will help. They'll still ***** but it'll matter less. Until a 12 seed wins I guess.

Every NFL team knows the explicit and objective criteria necessary to make the playoffs and can do so.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

I want the league to operate like literally EVERY other sport where each team has an objective path to win the championship.

Otherwise what is the point? It's just flat out stupid that ANY undefeated team has NO chance to win the championship. 

It's totally indefensible.

CFB is too unique in that the difference between like an undeafed Sun Belt team and a 4 win sec is probably nothing and the SEC team might even be favored. They don't all play on very equal footing. 

It's totally defensible. Your record isn't near as important as in the NFL? James Madison lost one game and is barely ranked and (I don't think is even bowl eligible lol. )

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Every NFL team knows the explicit and objective criteria necessary to make the playoffs and can do so.

Every NFL team has a salary cap, a salary floor, an "equal" path towards acquiring players in the draft, and they play 17 other teams with the same qualifications. 

It's not the same man. IDK why this is hard for you?

Edited by Norm