2024 Draft

Ftn49

5 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Reiman is more athlete than a good player at this point, he is one hell of an athlete though

A lot of people on twitter/in the draft space seem to be big fans of Mo Kamara. Feels like this years Yaya Diaby who also got quite a bit of hype as mid round prospect and turned out pretty well so far.

I don't know about Mims. Huge and can't run block, doesn't exactly scream 49ers OL to me.

I love the idea of bringing in Tip Reiman personally. He's obviously a traits guy, but at that point in the draft he's definitely worth taking a shot based on upside alone; plus he's from South Dakota which is where I'm originally from. 

As far as Mims and what he specializes in; I wonder if Kyle starts to put more emphasis on O-Linemen that can pass block. Obviously in years past we've gone after guys that excelled in the run game like Banks and McGlinchey, but I feel like that was more because Shanny felt like we needed the very best run game to protect our QB. 

I haven't seen Shanahan trust a QB in his tenure here as much as I've seen with Brock. I wouldn't be shocked to see him put more an more on his plate, and in doing so, put an emphasis on protecting him.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I love the idea of bringing in Tip Reiman personally. He's obviously a traits guy, but at that point in the draft he's definitely worth taking a shot based on upside alone; plus he's from South Dakota which is where I'm originally from. 

As far as Mims and what he specializes in; I wonder if Kyle starts to put more emphasis on O-Linemen that can pass block. Obviously in years past we've gone after guys that excelled in the run game like Banks and McGlinchey, but I feel like that was more because Shanny felt like we needed the very best run game to protect our QB. 

I haven't seen Shanahan trust a QB in his tenure here as much as I've seen with Brock. I wouldn't be shocked to see him put more an more on his plate, and in doing so, put an emphasis on protecting him.  

Plus Reiman is a hell of a blocker. Seems like a guy that our staff would love imo. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Plus Reiman is a hell of a blocker. Seems like a guy that our staff would love imo. 

Reiman is super strong and huge. I didn't see any horizontal wiggle on tape whatsoever, but then again Illinois wasn't a great place to showcase any skills. Reminds me of Tucker Kraft from last year (without Kraft's forced missed tackles on tape). Both are bigger, stronger, stiffer, more Gronky than Kittle sort of guys. I've been more into the shiftier sorts, but I definitely get the appeal. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Size is definitely an issue for me.  Especially because he doesn't protect himself all that well imo and in order to protect him from himself, I don't think you want to utilize him in the middle of the field all that much. Think you'd rather go digs and outs as opposed to in-breakers which is a heavy part of the offense. I give him credit for trying to fight through defenders, great mentality to have...his body just isn't going to let him do it. 

But he's going to have to have space. He's never going to be a guy that consistently wins in tight coverage. And frankly, that can be problematic downfield. I think he tracks the ball pretty well overall (I think the downfield struggles this year were probably more of a product of Quinn Ewers) though I don't think he's elite at it (For example, I think Jermaine Burton, who I like a little more, is a much better tracker of the football downfield, even if he's worse on the sideline). But if your QB is underthrowing those passes or not putting it where it needs to be, I really don't think he can help you out. 

I just worry that you're not going to get 100% of the positives that he's got coming out, and I don't know how much his game can grow at the next level. 

Obviously he can be deadly in the short game. A third of his catches were behind the line this year. You just want the ball in his hands. Not sure it works as well as often at the NFL level but he's definitely going to have a utility and a role. For sure. Like, you're going to feed him stuff behind the line and see if the speed just rips apart a defense Tyreek Hill style. He's going to be an absolute cheat code on certain plays.

He's not my cup of tea though I don't want to make it seem l think he's undraftable or something. If he's there at 63 and we take him, that's fine to me. I mean, I don't like him relative to a lot of others who have him in the top 30 or something, but I think he's a top 60ish player in this draft. There are receivers who will go after that I like more though. 

By no means am I banging the table for Worthy at this point, but I wouldn't be upset with it as I see the appeal. 

I get the thoughts about the size, but we've see slender guys in this league come in and do just fine. I don't think he'd be doing a lot of going across the middle at least in year one while we've still got JJ here. That'd give him some time to put on some muscle before year two. 

I like that he's had success in the return game as well, as that is a spot we haven't addressed after losing Ray Ray. 

My mindset has been from the start that we need to make this a fairly boring draft though. We just need to load up on O-Linemen and we can get exciting players next year lol. A guy like Chop Robinson would be exciting for me though. 

14 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Reiman is super strong and huge. I didn't see any horizontal wiggle on tape whatsoever, but then again Illinois wasn't a great place to showcase any skills. Reminds me of Tucker Kraft from last year (without Kraft's forced missed tackles on tape). Both are bigger, stronger, stiffer, more Gronky than Kittle sort of guys. I've been more into the shiftier sorts, but I definitely get the appeal. 

I was really hoping Kraft would fall to us in round three last year (not just because he's also from SD lol). I really felt like he was going to be a good one, and so far he has been. Sucks that he's with the Packers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Caeden Wallace top 30 with the niners according to Wallace. 

I had not scouted Wallace much previously. A lot of tackles in this class just have no athletic upside and given pre-draft info and player grading and various statistics just seemed like piles of meh. I sorted him into that pile pre-combine. He had a tremendous combine (minus not doing the change of direction stuff). Was a reasonable well-taught and experienced college player, but I just wasn't excited. Will have to revisit given interest and combine testing. But the body type and athletic capability do scream 9ers. Shorter than the median, broader, more explosive guys, especially those with longer arms seem to be their thing lately (very limited sample size being a given).

33 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I had not scouted Wallace much previously. A lot of tackles in this class just have no athletic upside and given pre-draft info and player grading and various statistics just seemed like piles of meh. I sorted him into that pile pre-combine. He had a tremendous combine (minus not doing the change of direction stuff). Was a reasonable well-taught and experienced college player, but I just wasn't excited. Will have to revisit given interest and combine testing. But the body type and athletic capability do scream 9ers. Shorter than the median, broader, more explosive guys, especially those with longer arms seem to be their thing lately (very limited sample size being a given).

It's weird how much we just do not care about athleticism anywhere but center. It's funny how draft people always talk about how athletic guys would fit the blocking scheme for the 49ers so well and then the niners are just like, "nah, give us the plugs" 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's weird how much we just do not care about athleticism anywhere but center. It's funny how draft people always talk about how athletic guys would fit the blocking scheme for the 49ers so well and then the niners are just like, "nah, give us the plugs" 

I mean, I remember the McGlinchey draft and I spent so much time and energy on Brian O'Neill and Kolton Miller (at the time Kolton was a bottom first/top second consensus and O'Neill was like late second/third). And I loved O'Neill and thought he'd be a perfect fit for a team that valued athleticism above everything. And he has been for a Shanahan variant team lol. But we went for McGlinchey who was more of a meat and potatoes guy (if very tall for the current guys we like - I actually very much think that McGlinchey specifically is the reason that we are in for shorter guys; his anchor was always bad).

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, Forge said:

We have a new forum mock going on. Wanted to go a different direction this time. 

Nobody I really, really loved at 31. No Newton available this time :(

Did the same thing as last time and made a very small trade down (this time even smaller as I swapped with NE and we swapped 4th round picks). Passed up Suamataia (Chiefs took him at 32) and then I passed on Jordan Morgan at 34. 

Instead I took the Kool Aid man...wanted to see how it turns out. 

Took Christian Haynes in the second. 

This was a tough one. Some interesting defensive linemen available (Kneeland, Michael Hall) and I once again passed on receiver in the first two rounds. Left Kiran Amegedjie on the board as well. 

So no tackle so far, no defensive line so far, no receiver. 

• #34 - Kool Aid
  • #63 - Christian Haynes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Took Christian Haynes in the second. 

This was a tough one. Some interesting defensive linemen available (Kneeland, Michael Hall) and I once again passed on receiver in the first two rounds. Left Kiran Amegedjie on the board as well. 

So no tackle so far, no defensive line so far, no receiver. 

• #34 - Kool Aid
  • #63 - Christian Haynes

I really love Haynes as a prospect. And these days top linemen of all stripes are getting money at the very top of the corner market. So it's becoming premier moneywise

• Like 2

The more I think about it....the less I think we take an offensive lineman at 31 if they stick there. 

I'm beginning to think the team trades up for a lineman or it stays at 31 and takes a completely different position. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

The more I think about it....the less I think we take an offensive lineman at 31 if they stick there. 

I'm beginning to think the team trades up for a lineman or it stays at 31 and takes a completely different position. 

I agree. I think the starting right away tackles probably wont make it there. I can see them going best defensive player available especially if 5-6 qbs go ahead of them and some quality defenders fall.

If one of the 1st rounder DTs fall or a DeJean, Kool-Aid, Wiggins, I could see that being the pick. Someone who can make an impact this year while the gang is still together instead of a project for the future.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree….pick number 31 is in play whether we trade up or trade back we are not staying at 31 regardless.

• Like 2