2024 Draft

Ftn49

2 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

A to Z just did his breakdown on all the OL in the draft.  I love this guy's videos.  Couple notes:

• Has Frazier in the 3rd due to athleticism
  • Says Puni can possibly play all 5 spots, pretty high on his potential
  • Has Kingsley late 2nd but has a lot of critiques, gets lost, bad fundamentals
  • Loves Haynes, has him early/mid 2nd, perfect for zone 
  • Guyton extremely raw, will have to sit a year, early/mid 2nd
  • High on Rosengarten as a mid 2nd.  Great movement skills, would be a first if not for arm length
  • Morgan mid 2nd, will likely play Guard but is susceptible to bull rushes so might not be a Guard either

I don't think there's a player whose ranking is as varied as Rosengarten.  I've seen him all the way in the early 4th in some areas, to early 2nd in some. 

This sounds right for a lot.

Guys are getting pushed up because the end of the first round is so desperate for line help. Baltimore, niners, chiefs are all in some pretty tough spots

But I think that's cooling a little. As I said a couple of days ago after doing my last mock, I'm starting to feel more like we move up to draft a tackle or go another direction. 

I'm a Morgan fan well enough. @JIllghas mentioned it before, but there's a big question on upside. He has the athleticism to play LT, but I've never heard of an lt with sub 33 arms. Only 2 RTs right now that I can think of. I think he'll play guard fine, but probably bigger impact in zone schemes. My question is whether or not he can play goofy and flip to the right side. Don't think he's ever taken a snap on that side. 

I didn't think of Puni as a tackle, I've considered him a center and of course I think he can play guard. He also hit the magic shuttle time for interior linemen which is nice if you keep him inside. That has been a pretty good predictor of success the last 15 years. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm a Morgan fan well enough. @JIllghas mentioned it before, but there's a big question on upside. He has the athleticism to play LT, but I've never heard of an lt with sub 33 arms. Only 2 RTs right now that I can think of. I think he'll play guard fine, but probably bigger impact in zone schemes. My question is whether or not he can play goofy and flip to the right side. Don't think he's ever taken a snap on that side. 

I look at Morgan like a last ditch scenario, and that's not that bad considering he probably won't bust and will be solid.  If they can't trade down and there's no one good left on the board at a need position, just take Morgan and be content that you have a pretty solid player.  It's not the worst thing that could happen, but it sucks because that spot seems to be RIGHT where the talent drops off....and we'll have to see teams like Philly, GB, and Detroit get studs like Barton, Kool Aid, and DeJean.  

And to complicate matters, I think Haynes and Beebe will be much better guards than Morgan, so they better do their due diligence on the matter.  

Edited by WhyAmIHere

34 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I look at Morgan like a last ditch scenario, and that's not that bad considering he probably won't bust and will be solid.  If they can't trade down and there's no one good left on the board at a need position, just take Morgan and be content that you have a pretty solid player.  It's not the worst thing that could happen, but it sucks because that spot seems to be RIGHT where the talent drops off....and we'll have to see teams like Philly, GB, and Detroit get studs like Barton, Kool Aid, and DeJean.  

And to complicate matters, I think Haynes and Beebe will be much better guards than Morgan, so they better do their due diligence on the matter.  

I personally think they’ll assess the board around the 20-23 range and if a legit tackle is there, they trade extra picks for that player, taking particular care to get ahead of Dallas. If not, then It’s probably either fallback options or trading back. It would be down to which tackles they actually have legit grades on and which actually fall. Don’t see them being passive on it, but I’ve been surprised before.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:40 PM, Forge said:

Chad Rueter 5 round mock:

#21- Taliese Fuaga - he also has us trading up with Miami. In his mock, we give up a third and fourth this year. 

#63 - Kamari Lassiter, CB

#124 - Calen Bullock, S

#135 - Audric Estime, RB

#176 - Tip Reiman, TE

I would not pick Lassiter and then go safety. Concerned Lassiter has to move there. He has Lassiter go before Tampa, and I'd rather go the latter there. 

If you that Lassiter, I probably go somewhere other than Bullock in round 4. 

Don't love Estime as we know. I didn't care for chasing that kind of outlier. But he'll be functional in his role

But, Fuaga!!!!!!! I love it JUST for that. That's my 2024 Draft Crush! 🤩

11 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I agree that Haynes and Beebe at least have higher upside than Morgan at guard. Haynes just hasn't had to pass protect very often in college. He's got a great athletic profile for it. Dense and long to handle power, super quick to handle cross face moves and was awesome at the Senior Bowl in pass pro reps. But Connecticut just didn't have the quarterback or the players to throw the ball at all. He's going to have to learn through the NFL fire a bit in pass pro. But I LOVED his run blocking tape. Was like a bowling ball knocking pins down and creating openings both on down blocks and on reach blocks. 

Beebe I feel more and more should be a very high pick. He was just a dominant player in college with a ton of experience. He did have the pass pro reps and killed stunts and blitzes. His anchor is iron. He tested like a terrific athlete, alleviating concerns that his pass protection excellence was merely not facing enough NFL athleticism. He might be a pro bowl player right away. 

And all of this might be moot? I kind of don't think that the team is especially interested in getting a guard. Feliciano produced well enough on the cheap last year (minus the Detroit playoff game). I've been trying to slot in interior offensive lineman for years in our mock drafts (*cough Dylan Parham cough Creed Humphrey cough Zach Tom cough*). And they did take Aaron Banks early (as an out of left field choice at the time). But they haven't touched the position at all otherwise. I think that it is going to be a trade up for a starting tackle or a trade back for a developmental tackle type, personally. But aside from like Ji'Ayir Brown and Deebo, I've been pretty constantly wrong on players that the team likes, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

And all of this might be moot? I kind of don't think that the team is especially interested in getting a guard

"Kyle, you've lost two super bowls in no small part due to your Right Guard not being good enough. Do you think that is something you will change in the future?"

YARN | No, I don't think I will. | Avengers: Endgame | Video gifs by quotes  | 8136dc13 | 紗

• Like 2

Definitely not a typical board. 

I don't know if he's adding in off field stuff (which is going to kill him), but not having Burton in the top 100 is pretty wild to me. I really think from an on field perspective, he's going to be a better pro than college player. 

He is way down on Melton (#88) but way high on Mustapha 

• Like 2

side note....didn't know anything anything on Reiman before Barrows put him in the mock. Dude makes a ton of sense for the niners. Could totally see it. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Forge said:

So I traded back up to 106 lol. Basically, traded 103 for 123 & 127. Then traded 123 and 176 to get back up to 106. 

Going to take Bishop now. 

Just a thought exercise for your draft...which of these do you prefer:

KoolAid/Haynes/Washington or

McConkey/Haynes/Renardo Green?

I think I would slightly prefer the first, because CB is a tough position to draft and Kool Aid probably isn't going to bust.  Green is a baller though...

Edited by WhyAmIHere

Kept the next pick pretty basic in the 4th round. 

Took Javon Foster. Rosengarten went at pick 105 or whatever, Christian Jones went 108 so Foster was kind of the last man for this group. With no fifth round pick, there was no chance to wait on someone else. 

Gave thought to Wallace since we actually brought him in, but personally I think Foster was just a better player than Wallace was in college. Even though Wallace tested much better, I'm not sure he actually plays at a level that clearly indicates he's that much more athletic than Foster. Foster is 100% going to have some issues with speed and recovery on the outside, but I think he can probably be a stopgap right tackle 

5 hours ago, JIllg said:

I agree that Haynes and Beebe at least have higher upside than Morgan at guard. Haynes just hasn't had to pass protect very often in college. He's got a great athletic profile for it. Dense and long to handle power, super quick to handle cross face moves and was awesome at the Senior Bowl in pass pro reps. But Connecticut just didn't have the quarterback or the players to throw the ball at all. He's going to have to learn through the NFL fire a bit in pass pro. But I LOVED his run blocking tape. Was like a bowling ball knocking pins down and creating openings both on down blocks and on reach blocks. 

Beebe I feel more and more should be a very high pick. He was just a dominant player in college with a ton of experience. He did have the pass pro reps and killed stunts and blitzes. His anchor is iron. He tested like a terrific athlete, alleviating concerns that his pass protection excellence was merely not facing enough NFL athleticism. He might be a pro bowl player right away. 

And all of this might be moot? I kind of don't think that the team is especially interested in getting a guard. Feliciano produced well enough on the cheap last year (minus the Detroit playoff game). I've been trying to slot in interior offensive lineman for years in our mock drafts (*cough Dylan Parham cough Creed Humphrey cough Zach Tom cough*). And they did take Aaron Banks early (as an out of left field choice at the time). But they haven't touched the position at all otherwise. I think that it is going to be a trade up for a starting tackle or a trade back for a developmental tackle type, personally. But aside from like Ji'Ayir Brown and Deebo, I've been pretty constantly wrong on players that the team likes, lol.

I feel like Cooper will be similar to Aaron Banks draft ranking. The year we got Aaron i remember saying wow just because if you do mocks you could get him in the same range as Cooper this year. Granted mocks don’t hold weight, but it’s still funny similar to when NE drafted Cole Strange early. 

I have to imagine we will draft 1 or 2 guards just because the guards this off season were getting Tackle money and ironically Banks is up for contract after this year.