Week 1 thoughts

Mid Iowa

Our Defense looked Great.

Big shoutout to Granderson for dominating the Titans OL all game.

Our WRs are all legit threats.  Also was great to see MT out there healthy and making plays early.

Our players need to learn to hang onto the football more.  The Titans are a good defense and look for chances to force fumbles, but it was still a little concerning how many times they actually knocked the ball out.

Our OL needs to get a better push in the run block and Penning was absolutely abysmal in pass blocking.  Key is a good player but he looked a lot better than he should've.  Hopefully the coaches help Penning on developing the drop in pass blocking to help set the edge going forward.  Too many times he was meeting Key without moving from his spot in pass protection giving Key the advantage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raves said:

Our Defense looked Great.

Big shoutout to Granderson for dominating the Titans OL all game.

Our WRs are all legit threats.  Also was great to see MT out there healthy and making plays early.

Our players need to learn to hang onto the football more.  The Titans are a good defense and look for chances to force fumbles, but it was still a little concerning how many times they actually knocked the ball out.

Our OL needs to get a better push in the run block and Penning was absolutely abysmal in pass blocking.  Key is a good player but he looked a lot better than he should've.  Hopefully the coaches help Penning on developing the drop in pass blocking to help set the edge going forward.  Too many times he was meeting Key without moving from his spot in pass protection giving Key the advantage.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I thought Carr looked solid outside of a couple of poor throws. He looked mobile and made mostly good, quick decisions. The offensive line and playcalling didn't help him out much. They improved as the game went on, but the first 2 ½ quarters were rough.

4 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I thought Carr looked solid outside of a couple of poor throws. He looked mobile and made mostly good, quick decisions. The offensive line and playcalling didn't help him out much. They improved as the game went on, but the first 2 ½ quarters were rough.

Yup, plus we walked out with a win.  Is it next week yet so we can see how they improve?

I had some high hopes after seeing that 1 preseason drive fire on all cylinders. Not sure how I feel now. I still think Pete Carmichael is a complete fraud. 37th time running up the middle has to be the one time it works! Ok, 38th......39th?....

Defense looked great. I love Demario Davis. Looks like Turner is lost for most of the season with a turf toe injury that needs surgery. He's missed 21 games already. Tack on another 10 more minimum. Time to cut bait?

Olave is so good. Some of those routes he ran were just beautiful. All the Saints receivers really had a good showing. If the Oline can just provide the protection, it's going to be hard to cover all them.

Carr looked, ok. He missed some really easy throws, and his butt cheeks looked pretty clenched in the red zone. When given time he did great, even made a couple really nice offscript plays. He still gets happy feet when that pocket starts to collapse though. Hope their Oline can figure it out sooner rather than later.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Carr has historically been an awful RZ QB fwiw. That along with not being able/willing to extend plays and his inability to deal when pressured are on display atm.

I don't think he was bad in the red zone at all. No run game, so unfortunately it was a lot of goal to go from the 8-10 yard line. He had a TD pass to Shaheed that was ruled OOB that IMO was a catch and TD. Re-watching the game I didn't see any throws that Carr missed that would make me think "Oh yeah he just struggles in the RZ". 

Overall, Carr is a good QB and had a good day. I'm kind of in shock still that the Raiders cut him and moved on to...Jimmy G.

18 hours ago, SWATcha said:

I had some high hopes after seeing that 1 preseason drive fire on all cylinders. Not sure how I feel now. I still think Pete Carmichael is a complete fraud. 37th time running up the middle has to be the one time it works! Ok, 38th......39th?....

Defense looked great. I love Demario Davis. Looks like Turner is lost for most of the season with a turf toe injury that needs surgery. He's missed 21 games already. Tack on another 10 more minimum. Time to cut bait?

Olave is so good. Some of those routes he ran were just beautiful. All the Saints receivers really had a good showing. If the Oline can just provide the protection, it's going to be hard to cover all them.

Carr looked, ok. He missed some really easy throws, and his butt cheeks looked pretty clenched in the red zone. When given time he did great, even made a couple really nice offscript plays. He still gets happy feet when that pocket starts to collapse though. Hope their Oline can figure it out sooner rather than later.

I mean the Titans had the best run defense in the NFL and are always a pretty good defense in general.  I think the offense will look better this week against a weaker defense compared to the Titans.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I mean the Titans had the best run defense in the NFL and are always a pretty good defense in general.  I think the offense will look better this week against a weaker defense compared to the Titans.

The offensive line needs to show, at least, some minor improvement. 

7 hours ago, JMG5 said:

The offensive line needs to show, at least, some minor improvement. 

Agreed 100%! They're okay, but no push.

I also have been wondering... What if the Titans are really good? Perhaps we outperformed, but we're all so used to the Brees era and expect 28+ points per game.

Of course, time will tell.

Things could be worse, we could have Josh Allen or Aaron Rogers 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Raves said:

This was something I was wondering, the Titans defense. I mean, what if we actually did really well?

And we only have 16 more weeks to find out.