Week 2 Texans vs Colts GDT

lumberjackchris

Week 1 the team showed some flashes! Lets hope we get a couple of guys who got banged up vs Balt back for our home opener.

NRG should be rocking with it being Meco and Stroud's home debut, definitely a better environment for the offense to work in. 

Offensively I want to see how Slowik and co adjust from game 1.

Defensively how Meco's gameplan a lot with WAJ and Greenard get to a rookie QB in Anthony Richardson, who looked good in his NFL debut. 

LJC's Prediction: Texans - 24 Colts 17

Edited by lumberjackchris
  • Like 2

Although I think some of this was by design of their OC to make it simpler for Richardson. I think we will see a similar game plan for the Colts this coming Sunday.  Now that Meco and co have some tape on Richardson, it'll be interesting to see how they game plan him. 

Edited by lumberjackchris

On 9/11/2023 at 6:00 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

I think we finish somewhere between 3 and 5 wins, and this game should be one of those wins. 

Look at our schedule. It’s really not difficult. Going 6-7 wins shouldn’t be hard if offense begins to click, oline improves when starters arrive and one WR takes that step. I think Nico gets 1000 yards this year, Stroud is decent and we go second in the AFC South with .500

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Drained said:

Look at our schedule. It’s really not difficult. Going 6-7 wins shouldn’t be hard if offense begins to click, oline improves when starters arrive and one WR takes that step. I think Nico gets 1000 yards this year, Stroud is decent and we go second in the AFC South with .500

Yes, drawing the NFCS and a 4th place schedule helps - and I'm pretty certain that we won't see Ryan Tannehill this season, and it has nothing to do with his health. He's fallen off the same cliff that other 30+ year old QBs have fallen off, he's probably worse than what we saw from Matt Ryan and the Colts last year. We're going to see either Malik Willis or Will Levis this upcoming season (which is to say we're probably going to have the advantage on offense those two games). 

I do wonder about the Colts, and I do think Anthony Richardson presents a challenge going forward. After last week, however? I see a guy still figuring out the nuances of playing at this level. A strong pass rush should get him moving around a lot, not setting his feet and throwing - we just saw this defense do the same thing to a former NFL MVP with a better OL and WRs, so as long as that edge play from Will Anderson and Jon Greenard continues, we should keep this Colts O frustrated. 

Other side of the ball should be predicated on how the OL does - and hopefully we'll get the right guys in the right spots this time (looking at you, Michael Dieter). Josh Jones should be able to play RT well enough to not completely get overwhelmed, and hopefully Dieter can do just enough to get IOL play done. If Dieter is really that bad or if Jones really needs to stay on the left side, perhaps you bring up Austin Deculus and slot him at RT and keep Jones at LG.

OL is a disaster and I think it's apparent to everyone - so these drawn out play fakes and bootlegs need to be put in the back of the playbook for a few more weeks. Simplify the offense for everyone, hat on hat across the line and take what the defense gives you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yes, drawing the NFCS and a 4th place schedule helps - and I'm pretty certain that we won't see Ryan Tannehill this season, and it has nothing to do with his health. He's fallen off the same cliff that other 30+ year old QBs have fallen off, he's probably worse than what we saw from Matt Ryan and the Colts last year. We're going to see either Malik Willis or Will Levis this upcoming season (which is to say we're probably going to have the advantage on offense those two games). 

I do wonder about the Colts, and I do think Anthony Richardson presents a challenge going forward. After last week, however? I see a guy still figuring out the nuances of playing at this level. A strong pass rush should get him moving around a lot, not setting his feet and throwing - we just saw this defense do the same thing to a former NFL MVP with a better OL and WRs, so as long as that edge play from Will Anderson and Jon Greenard continues, we should keep this Colts O frustrated. 

Other side of the ball should be predicated on how the OL does - and hopefully we'll get the right guys in the right spots this time (looking at you, Michael Dieter). Josh Jones should be able to play RT well enough to not completely get overwhelmed, and hopefully Dieter can do just enough to get IOL play done. If Dieter is really that bad or if Jones really needs to stay on the left side, perhaps you bring up Austin Deculus and slot him at RT and keep Jones at LG.

OL is a disaster and I think it's apparent to everyone - so these drawn out play fakes and bootlegs need to be put in the back of the playbook for a few more weeks. Simplify the offense for everyone, hat on hat across the line and take what the defense gives you.

Is there a chance for Tannehill to get benched? Will it happen? Depends on how long Vrabel‘s leash is. Last season was a wash for the Titans and I’m sure they don’t want this one being a wash too. 

The fact we basically shut down Lamar Jackson in the run makes me hopeful for AR, add in the fact Meco isn’t stupid when it comes to defensive scheming and will actually scheme to force Richardson to throw outside the numbers. It’s a winnable game. I’d argue a must win game. If you win this, then you’re 1-1 against the Jags and I don’t care how good the Jags are, historically we’re pretty good against them, even the last few years when we have been trash, so I think that’s a possible win. If you win that game you’re 2-1, and the whole season is open but it requires you beating your equals in Indianapolis.

OLine might get better as weeks go on too. We need to do some more dink and dunk plays. I remember we couldn’t with Mills cause his accuracy was so poor but I think with CJ we can move the chains bit by bit, keep the Indianapolis D on the field and tire them out and win safely.

Texans should win this one but I suspect the defense [and home field advantage] may have more to do with it than the offense (which might not gel until October).  Richardson's designed runs will fare well in Fantasy but Jonathan Taylor's absence from the field will be conspicuous.  Matt Gay could have a decent day but Indianapolis rates to have difficulty finding the end zone.

The Houston ground game should have one of its best outings of 2023 this week.

15 hours ago, Drained said:

Is there a chance for Tannehill to get benched? Will it happen?

If the Titans want any chance of winning, it needs to happen. Tannehill looked Jake Delhomme bad, he couldn’t hit the side of a building - only thing he could complete were little 6 yard hitch routes to Nuk. 

With that sort of showing, I’d have a hard time believing Malik Willis was worse.

A few notes:

- Unofficial DC released by the team has Henry To’o To’o as starting SAM. Between the glowing preseason, high PFF score last week and this promotion, To’o To’o is looking like an incredible pickup in the 5th.

- Laremy Tunsil (knee) Jalen Pitre (chest/lungs) and Jimmie Ward (hip) lead the list of DNPs today. Tunsil is enough of a vet to skip all practice sessions and suit up. Ward was a late scratch, so he might be able to get in a limited session and make his team debut. Pitre would need to get in a session as well. 

- George Fant was limited but got in practice, I sort of expect him at RT Sunday.

- John Metchie III got in a limited session. Would be really nice and inspiring if he made his Texans debut on Sunday, team could use him in some capacity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tab said:

I'm so glad we have Will Anderson, and no disrespect to Tunsil, but its cool to have a legitimately good player/playmaker to root for again (one that's not causing penalties every other snap)

It’s different when it’s a player that doesn’t visually impact the point of attack during the game. OL is only good when you don’t hear about it or see it, so it’s hard for them to get recognition outside of well versed fans/coaches.

I’m jacked about WAJ. We’ve never had an edge guy like him. (JJ was an semi edge guy I guess) WAJ just needs to realize that this isn’t college, and he’s not the strongest guy on the field every play. Bull rushing taxes the lower body, and you’re more gassed come the 2nd half.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I’m jacked about WAJ. We’ve never had an edge guy like him. (JJ was an semi edge guy I guess) WAJ just needs to realize that this isn’t college, and he’s not the strongest guy on the field every play. Bull rushing taxes the lower body, and you’re more gassed come the 2nd half.

You can see his hand usage has really improved - which is nuts when you think the gap between his last game at Alabama and last Sunday vs Baltimore was like, eight months ago. He took the criticism personally and worked on some hand boxing/jab and stab moves to get OTs on their heels. 

Once he gets a good slap and swim and an arm under move, he’s going to get considerably better. He might even be able to develop a Reggie White “hump” move where he hip tosses an OT WWE-style (he’s got THAT sort of strength).

• Like 1