Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

Eh, Getsy sucks and the D knows what's coming?

yeah it's obviously not good numbers, but interesting to see Burrow actually below Fields there....

I think Burrow has proven himself to be a pretty good QB already..... but he's also coming off a smaller sample size. That said, those numbers could also help explain why the Bengals have struggled so much this year. Had them pegged to be AFC champion contenders and they're VERY bipolar this year.

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I guess the Claypool INT there wasn’t the 3rd one he referenced because it was a 10-point game at that point, but the point stands. Those are 3 of his 8 INTs this year. Another was the first Hail Mary INT against CLE this past week that was an obvious incompletion and would’ve been overturned in any other situation than being the last play of the half.

He’s only thrown 8 INT all year, and that’s half of them. But sure, write an article that paints him as a turnover machine.

There are plenty of things about which to be critical with Fields without just making stuff up. 

I mean we can complain about the two INTs off hail mary passes.... but the Fields also threw 2 balls that game that hit browns players directly in the hands that where both dropped.  That knife cuts both ways =/

There's plenty of criticism to go around on that too, since the team keeps letting itself even get put into situations where Fields needs to try and put the entire team on his back and play hero ball to win it....... And even more when you consider that Mooney has personally dropped two game winning TD passes that hit him right in the chest in as many years, and as you mentioned Claypool has one of those INTs too.

At the end of the day though, the trend is noticable, and it's not nearly as small of a sample size as Burrow's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

I mean we can complain about the two INTs off hail mary passes.... but the Fields also threw 2 balls that game that hit browns players directly in the hands that where both dropped.  That knife cuts both ways =/

There's plenty of criticism to go around on that too, since the team keeps letting itself even get put into situations where Fields needs to try and put the entire team on his back and play hero ball to win it....... And even more when you consider that Mooney has personally dropped two game winning TD passes that hit him right in the chest in as many years, and as you mentioned Claypool has one of those INTs too.

At the end of the day though, the trend is noticable, and it's not nearly as small of a sample size as Burrow's

I certainly wasn’t looking to exonerate Fields from any blame for the offensive shortcomings. He’s got a part in that for sure. I’m just not ok with blaming him for things beyond his control, and stats like that one without context paint a picture that slants away from the reality of those situations they describe. 

Fields’ numbers get tagged solely to him but his passing efficiency numbers and situational stats are very reliant on the person at the other end of the pass doing their job as well. He had 100 yards lost and a lost TD pass against CLE from drops by Tonyan and Scott, and when he got put in the situation needing points with 30 seconds left at his own 25 with no timeouts he put on the cape in a way that should’ve won the game for us if not for Mooney’s failure. Other 4th quarter failures in the clutch generally tagged to Fields include Mooney dropping the TD last year against WSH, EQ dropping a 4th down pass right in his hands that would’ve put us in FG range to take the lead in the last minute last year against MIA, a final drive against GB last year (2nd game) where EQ just flat out didn’t come back on a comeback route, resulting in Jaire intercepting it, etc. He hasn’t been nearly perfect in those situations (nor should he be expected to be) but how different is perception of his clutchness if those guys around him just finish those routine plays in those situations? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

That's because players know other talented players more than anyone else does.

Yep. And when a QB says BEFORE WEEK 4 (!!!) the OC is overwhelming him to the point where he can't play freely you would think they'd adjust, but nope.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Yep. And when a QB says BEFORE WEEK 4 (!!!) the OC is overwhelming him to the point where he can't play freely you would think they'd adjust, but nope.

If after 3 years in the league there is still too much on your plate, there's a very real argument the problem is with size of the plate, not the food being put on it.

44 minutes ago, Epyon said:

If after 3 years in the league there is still too much on your plate, there's a very real argument the problem is with size of the plate, not the food being put on it.

This scheme helped Russell Wilson produce the worst statistical season of his Hall of Fame career.

Trust me, intelligence is the least of Justin Fields' concerns.

• Like 1

This is kind of Fields, kind of the OL, maybe kind of the scheme/WR?  

And a follow up tweet that includes TIME until pressured:

So we're giving up a ton of pressures to 4 man rushes, but they're by far the latest pressures in the league time wise (2.85seconds)

Edited by Epyon

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

This is kind of Fields, kind of the OL, maybe kind of the scheme/WR?  

And a follow up tweet that includes TIME until pressured:

So we're giving up a ton of pressures to 4 man rushes, but they're by far the latest pressures in the league time wise (2.85seconds)

Which again only goes to speak of the chicken & egg situation we are in right now…teams rush 4 & cover with 7…who is getting separation other than DJ & not every play can go his way…Fields holds the ball too long that is without question…but a lot of the time he holds the ball too long because he has no one to throw it too & would rather take a hit than throw a pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

This scheme helped Russell Wilson produce the worst statistical season of his Hall of Fame career.

Trust me, intelligence is the least of Justin Fields' concerns.

It’s something that has really went under the radar…outside of with Rodgers where has this scheme truly worked? I guess you could maybe say Dallas but that is more a true WCO under McCarthy…we haven’t got the full Shanahan/McVay scheme here…it’s a mash up of both and it’s not what Fields does well and like I said hasn’t really worked for anyone but Rodgers…

And what makes it worse is even some of the elements of the scheme that do work Getsy is such a poor play caller that they are negated way too often.

Edited by Madmike90

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It’s something that has really went under the radar…outside of with Rodgers where has this scheme truly worked? I guess you could maybe say Dallas but that is more a true WCO under McCarthy…we haven’t got the full Shanahan/McVay scheme here…it’s a mash up of both and it’s not what Fields does well and like I said hasn’t really worked for anyone but Rodgers.

There's also incredibly likely scenario that Rodgers kind of ran his own scheme by that point anyway and Getsy was just along for the ride.  I didn't much like the hire myself at the time it was made for that reason.

Looking up his most recent stint as an OC at Mississippi State, before getting on the Packers as OC..... his offense averaged 166 passing yards a game. His other college OC days had a 211 yards/game mark and a 163 yard/game mark

Edited by Epyon

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

There's also incredibly likely scenario that Rodgers kind of ran his own scheme by that point anyway and Getsy was just along for the ride.  I didn't much like the hire myself at the time it was made for that reason.

Looking up his most recent stint as an OC at Mississippi State, before getting on the Packers as OC..... his offense averaged 166 passing yards a game. His other college OC days had a 211 yards/game mark and a 163 yard/game mark

Your scenario is 100% correct, remember the in-fighting Rodgers had with LaFleur? It was Rogers' offense, look how different it is now with Jordan Love under center.

Justin Fields is not without his deficiencies.

He is a tick slow processing (this could just be who he is as a player or it could be that this offense is overwhelming him and making him think too much rather than react [Justin said as much after the week 3 loss to the Buccaneers])

He also has a slower release than I like out of a QB, he needs to clean that up further and find ways to get the ball out of his hand quicker rather than the deliberate pause and windup that he does on out-routes and some hitches / comebacks.

I don't know who Quincy Avery is and why Justin Fields is dedicated to working with him. Jordan Palmer worked WONDERS with Josh Allen and overhauled his mechanics, I wish Fields would consider switching QB coaches / "gurus" but I don't see that happening.

• Like 1