Chiefs WR Corps

Chiefer

They gambled on 7 guys getting it done and after week one they didn’t. Will they continue the ineptitude, does Veach sign or trade for anybody, can they rebound?

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/9/12/23869023/chiefs-news-offense-lions-patrick-mahomes

the All-22 is out and it ain’t pretty. Lazy routes, hesitation, WRs bumbling into each other. Does Reid scale things back for them? Will Kelce be enough to open things up if he gets healthy? I know he was last year but he’s also injured for almost the first time of his career.

First step is getting then to catch the ball, this complicated system gonna have to start with the basics and it’s already week 2. I have full confidence they can right the ship, still a long season ahead

Edited by Chiefer

I think we immediately need to see the guys that showed something get more opportunities.  While Skyy and Toney went downward after a first missed chance, Rice came back strong.  Shockingly MVS played well but his issue is unless it’s straight line he can’t get separation. I want more Ross.

Not real concerned.   We basically went into this matchup with 1 receiving target that Mahomes is accustomed to.   

Improvement is needed,  but these guys need game reps.   OT play needs to be much better also,   not a good thing to feel uncomfortable in the pocket as well as not really having any targets you have seen during live action.

5 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think we immediately need to see the guys that showed something get more opportunities.  While Skyy and Toney went downward after a first missed chance, Rice came back strong.  Shockingly MVS played well but his issue is unless it’s straight line he can’t get separation. I want more Ross.

They mostly use MVS to run routes that occupy the coverage. They don't really expect him to get separation, just draw guys away from who they do want to get open. Watson ran a lot of the same on Thursday. If they do then get open because teams stop being paranoid about us going deep, then that's great, but most of their routes are to open things up for Toney, Kelce, and the hope was, Moore. Toney did get open a ton. I think he's fine, he isn't going to drop everything forever. Might agree with you on Moore, though. He is the actual concern, for me. Unless he figures out quickly how to get open like JuJu did last year, Rice, who can separate, or Ross, who can at least catch and get physical, might need more snaps instead.

53 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Toney did get open a ton. I think he's fine, he isn't going to drop everything forever

I actually thought Toney looked pretty sluggish.  I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt having very few practices etc.  The team can’t handle another abomination of a performance, so I hope he hits the juggs machine heavy this week.

6 hours ago, RedGold said:

OT play needs to be much better also,   not a good thing to feel uncomfortable in the pocket as well as not really having any targets you have seen during live action.

I don’t want to hijack the Receiver thread, but I’m really concerned this is going to be an issue.  Taylor tipped 50 percent of the plays off, and could have been penalized for conservatively 25% off the pass plays.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I actually thought Toney looked pretty sluggish.  I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt having very few practices etc.  The team can’t handle another abomination of a performance, so I hope he hits the juggs machine heavy this week.

All I know is he was the one who kept getting targeted, because he was the one who kept getting open.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

All I know is he was the one who kept getting targeted, because he was the one who kept getting open.

Problem is a couple those drops he could feel the hit coming and it looked like alligator arms like the Pick-6. I know the joke online is that when he’s asked to be a natural WR instead of a gadget weapon he flubs it but there may be some truth to it. He’s always injured and has sparingly been able to be a normal WR in NFL or college. hyping him into the number one role all offseason have been a bad idea in hindsight

Skyy Moore stocks are up ⬆️⬆️

Kadarius Toney stocks are up ⬆️

Richie James stocks are down⬇️

MVS had a Demarcus Robinson type game strangely enough 

Will Justyn Ross climb the totem pole and get more snaps??

Still don’t have that much faith, playing a lot of sloppy football, 2 turnovers. Those were perfect Peanut punches I will say. It’ll get better. 

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I thought Watson was the DeMarcus Robinson type.

I would put Rice's stock as up. He's getting a lot of play for a rookie. 

The pecking order still seems to be in flux. I wonder how much Kelce's injury plays into that.

Rice I’m keeping neutral for now but I think he’s gonna keep trending up

I’m just referencing MVS running backwards everytime he caught the ball lol