Chiefs WR Corps

Chiefer

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Rice I’m keeping neutral for now but I think he’s gonna keep trending up

I think Rice’s stock is limited by the coaching.  I feel like if we worked him more he’d continue to grow and impress. As it stands now he’s seeing more snaps than Skyy did, and with Pat that means you’re always an option.

6 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think Rice’s stock is limited by the coaching.  I feel like if we worked him more he’d continue to grow and impress. As it stands now he’s seeing more snaps than Skyy did, and with Pat that means you’re always an option.

The Chiefs' approach is for rookies to get the entire playbook. It's a lot to learn and thinking about it slows reaction time. We saw this with Skyy Moore last season. Repetition brings confidence and eventually, a player is at full speed. Some are slow studies and some a quicker. Rice seems to be fairly quick but he's still dealing with a steep learning curve.

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs' approach is for rookies to get the entire playbook. It's a lot to learn and thinking about it slows reaction time. We saw this with Skyy Moore last season. Repetition brings confidence and eventually, a player is at full speed. Some are slow studies and some a quicker. Rice seems to be fairly quick but he's still dealing with a steep learning curve.

This is what I’m talking about.  It “looks” Like he can take more on. Obviously we aren’t watching every rep he’s taking, but the kid seems like a coiled spring.  I’m very excited for when they let him out of the box.

3 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

This is what I’m talking about.  It “looks” Like he can take more on. Obviously we aren’t watching every rep he’s taking, but the kid seems like a coiled spring.  I’m very excited for when they let him out of the box.

The thing I liked about him predraft was the downfield mentality.

Rice is not content to catch the ball. He wants to turn and run. It's Kelce-esque. That said, he still needs to develop a feel for where he's supposed to be in the scheme. 

18 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The thing I liked about him predraft was the downfield mentality.

Rice is not content to catch the ball. He wants to turn and run. It's Kelce-esque. That said, he still needs to develop a feel for where he's supposed to be in the scheme. 

I think that, as well as when to sit down in a hole in the zone is something that comes with reps and time.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:29 AM, EMAW_KSU said:

I think that, as well as when to sit down in a hole in the zone is something that comes with reps and time.

If you listen to Kelce and Mahomes talk about each other some of the comments are parallel. Kelce does not run a route as much as find a soft spot in his designated portion of the field. Mahomes finds him by reading the defense's patterns and flows. That takes time and experience.

Here is a case in point. The author claims Mahomes is saying Kelce is making it up. That's not it. Kelce is reading the defense and finding the soft spots in the general area he's assigned. Mahomes finds Kelce by the same method. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/26/patrick-mahomes-claims-travis-kelce-just-makes-up-own-routes

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...

I still don’t see a number one option for Pat 4 weeks in. I’m pretty sure that Gray Td is the longest passing Td of the year so far.

Theres no real speed threat, Toney is unreliable, Skyy Moore is inconsistent at best, Watson is a solid 4, MVS is a ok 3. Rice has potential but is a rook and is still learning his way around the offense.

Also I hate to say it but Kelce looks old guys. He’s still reliable, but he’s not pushing the YAC nearly as much as he used too, and he’s getting gassed much easier. He looks a lot like 34, not 28 anymore.

Im Not saying the sky is falling or anything, but I think offense is gonna continue to be tough sledding. Especially with the amount of penalties the OL generates. We won’t be playing the Bears every week, although we do have Denver coming up soon

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Maybe make a run at Claypool? Is he even any good? Idk, seems like we gotta get somebody who can be reliable. Didn't think it would happen but I miss Juju

Claypool is a hard pass from me. I'd rather shake up the depth chart and let the young guys play.

Give me Rice, Ross, Watson, MVS, Toney, Moore, Washington as the new pecking order. Will it solve all our issues? Probably not. But at least we'll know what we have going forward while giving them valuable reps. There isn't a vet available at the moment that would make enough of an impact without giving up too much in trade value and cap space.

• Like 2

I am also sticking with what we brought to the dance. MVS has not stepped up and KT has been so/so. We need someone to grab the role like JuJu did last year.

That said, it seems like Justyn Ross is getting open and not getting the ball. That shows on video and we know that Pat studies the vids.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:28 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Maybe make a run at Claypool? Is he even any good? Idk, seems like we gotta get somebody who can be reliable. Didn't think it would happen but I miss Juju

I don’t think you can put Claypool and reliable in the same sentence.  He does seem like an Veach move though.  I just feel like we already have Ross we aren’t using at all, and I don’t know who’s spot he takes. This isn’t the years past where we’re bring up guys like Fountain etc to fill holes. I’m also leery that the bears who need all the help they can get don’t even want him with the team, that’s different than getting benched, that just sounds like locker room drama, and we don’t need that.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, onejayhawk said:

I am also sticking with what we brought to the dance. MVS has not stepped up and KT has been so/so. We need someone to grab the role like JuJu did last year.

That said, it seems like Justyn Ross is getting open and not getting the ball. That shows on video and we know that Pat studies the vids.

I feel like I’m missing Ross being on the field at all, granted I haven’t been able to watch all the games so that does limit what I see.  I’m still just astonished he hasn’t been worked into the red zone offense.

41 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I feel like I’m missing Ross being on the field at all, granted I haven’t been able to watch all the games so that does limit what I see.  I’m still just astonished he hasn’t been worked into the red zone offense.

He’s getting minimal snaps, mostly special teams. He’s basically Marcus Kemp rn