Chiefs WR Corps

Chiefer

On 10/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, Chiefer said:

Was reading that the WR coach has literally no experience coaching, so a rookie coach trying to coach up this WR corp it’s no wonder they’re making tons of mistakes and not running routes properly.

I find this to be most disquieting. This is a Huge, Tragic mistake on the part of our front office and HC Reid. We planned on adding young and rookie WR's. Why didn't someone plan for a  competent, v.good WR coach? This should NEVER have happened.

Shame on B.Veach and Andy R. for not planning for this beforehand.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I disagree, while not a blow you away Number 1, I think Rice has pretty clearly proven he’s the best receiver on our team.  I also think at this point comparing anyone to Toney is an insult to that person.

I probably didn't word it correctly in my incoherent rambling but I agree with that. What I'm saying is we have a bunch guys basically canceling each other out by being  in over another. For example, Skyy was meant to take up those Juju targets but can't fill his shoes and we've seen Rice take it and run in the limited opportunity but "because they have the same role" Rice has to take a back seat for whatever reason (seniority maybe?). 

Toney was to be the "gadgety" wr and he did poorly so we brought back our old "gadgety" guy, so now we have 2 and yet Mecole hasnt taken one jet sweep yet (that I recall) so again Toney is again who theyre waiting for to steo up or something 🤷 

Part of me thinks it's stubbornness of the coaching staff as much as anything. If Watson is who Patty trusts, then put him tf in. Doesn't matter if MVS is the "high paid" guy but over and over again MVS just kinda runs those same slants that don't ever amount to much 

Just kinda ranting at this point but I hope I made myself more clear.

58 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I find this to be most disquieting. This is a Huge, Tragic mistake on the part of our front office and HC Reid. We planned on adding young and rookie WR's. Why didn't someone plan for a  competent, v.good WR coach? This should NEVER have happened.

Shame on B.Veach and Andy R. for not planning for this beforehand.

Kind of ironic we have an actual NFL receiver (Todd Pinkston) as our RB coach 🤦

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Kind of ironic we have an actual NFL receiver (Todd Pinkston) as our RB coach 🤦

Andy cross trains his coaches, Daly is now the Lb coach, etc. so that’s not a surprise, he wants upward mobility and to get guys promoted. 

But yeah probably not a great idea to promote a guy with no real experience with this group of receivers

How much of this is a Nagy thing? The playcalling has not been good overall this year, not just talking about the stupid trick plays(AFLs finest Matt Nagy baby!) but also the route concepts just leave a lot to be desired. We generally seem a lot more undisciplined, and things have not been efficient at all. This can’t just be the best QB in the leagues fault can it? 

The most telling thing is Coach Reid’s refusal to go for it on 4th down. 4th and 5 on the 42 and we punt? How much confidence has he lost in this squad? 

I know this may not mean much, or maybe it does. But there are many rookie/young WR's that are scoring in Fantasy Football.

Look at R. Shaheed, Josh Downs, Jordan Addison, Puka Nacua, Zay Flowers, Nico Collins, among others. 

The powerhouse Chiefs have a weak Rashee Rice as an entry. Just sayin that the struggles at WR are real and not imagined in KC.

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I know this may not mean much, or maybe it does. But there are many rookie/young WR's that are scoring in Fantasy Football.

Look at R. Shaheed, Josh Downs, Jordan Addison, Puka Nacua, Zay Flowers, Nico Collins, among others. 

The powerhouse Chiefs have a weak Rashee Rice as an entry. Just sayin that the struggles at WR are real and not imagined in KC.

Nico Collins was drafted in 2021 bud, do you mean Tank Dell? Again I’ll say Rice isn’t weak, but lacking support.  In my opinion we failed by not getting a vet in the WR room this year.  I also think play calling has been extremely suspect this year.  Horrible flash plays called at the most in opportune times.  Using people to run plays that aren’t their strengths.  Sometimes the right answer on 3rd and 1…is still the obvious one.  You don’t have to put clever everyone every time.

Rice continues to showcase his playmaking ability, he’s a rookie so Reid’s gonna monitor his snap count (frustratingly so at times). But he’s realistically the future of the corp, I just don’t seen any of these other guys as anything worthwhile. 

You can blame Mahomes, and we can talk about Nagys incompetence, but this WR corp as a group is bad by almost every measure. 

19 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Rice continues to showcase his playmaking ability, he’s a rookie so Reid’s gonna monitor his snap count (frustratingly so at times). But he’s realistically the future of the corp, I just don’t seen any of these other guys as anything worthwhile. 

You can blame Mahomes, and we can talk about Nagys incompetence, but this WR corp as a group is bad by almost every measure. 

It is not bad. Some of us have been in the forum long enough to remember bad.

When a rookie TE (Travis Kelce) leads the team in receptions, it's bad. 30-year-old Dwayne Bowe led the WR with just 754 yards on 60 receptions. No other WR had even 300 yards or 20 receptions. RBs and TEs were 5 or the top 6 in both receptions and yards. 

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It is not bad. Some of us have been in the forum long enough to remember bad.

When a rookie TE (Travis Kelce) leads the team in receptions, it's bad. 30-year-old Dwayne Bowe led the WR with just 754 yards on 60 receptions. No other WR had even 300 yards or 20 receptions. RBs and TEs were 5 or the top 6 in both receptions and yards. 

See how you had to compare them to the worst WR Corp of all time to make them look better? Yeah, that’s not a good thing lol. 

Theyre bad, but it can always get worse, no doubt, thanks for reminding me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

See how you had to compare them to the worst WR Corp of all time to make them look better? Yeah, that’s not a good thing lol. 

Theyre bad, but it can always get worse, no doubt, thanks for reminding me.

Hardly. While it's an example of how bad it can get, eg no WR caught a TD pass all season, it's the just worst WR group of the last decade.

This was before Maclin and years before Hill and Sammy came along. The season before, when Bowe was noticeably better, and the year after, when they signed Jeremy Maclin are both worse than the current crop. There was one decent WR and no depth. This year 5 different WRs have TD receptions and Rice leads all AFC rookies with 4 TDs.

I get that you are upset and more than a little spoiled by previous success, but don't confuse growing pains with a serious problem. 

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Hardly. While it's an example of how bad it can get, eg no WR caught a TD pass all season, it's the just worst WR group of the last decade.

This was before Maclin and years before Hill and Sammy came along. The season before, when Bowe was noticeably better, and the year after, when they signed Jeremy Maclin are both worse than the current crop. There was one decent WR and no depth. This year 5 different WRs have TD receptions and Rice leads all AFC rookies with 4 TDs.

I get that you are upset and more than a little spoiled by previous success, but don't confuse growing pains with a serious problem. 

Things can get worse. Just because they’re marginally better now doesn’t mean they aren’t bad now.

Guess you haven’t been on this forum long enough to remember who the QB was back then. Alex Smith could not push the ball downfield, and his WRs always suffered the consequences for that. Those stats arent a good reflection of the actual talent at WR, see 2017 in comparison to 2018. 

Andy has had issues drafting and developing WR Talent for 23 years now. If you had been on this forum as long as I have, you’d know that. Don’t need to be spoiled by recent success to own a pair of working eyeballs

20 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Things can get worse. Just because they’re marginally better now doesn’t mean they aren’t bad now.

Guess you haven’t been on this forum long enough to remember who the QB was back then. Alex Smith could not push the ball downfield, and his WRs always suffered the consequences for that. Those stats arent a good reflection of the actual talent at WR, see 2017 in comparison to 2018. 

Andy has had issues drafting and developing WR Talent for 23 years now. If you had been on this forum as long as I have, you’d know that. Don’t need to be spoiled by recent success to own a pair of working eyeballs

Things can get a lot worse. We are not looking at Albert Wilson as our WR2 like we did for four years before Reid arrived.

I take it as a sign that we did not pursue a WR at the trade deadline. Someone in the staff thinks we're OK. 

From the snap counts, it appears Rice is becoming the go-to guy. He was on 68% of the snaps. MVS and Watson were 63% and 55%. For a guy with only 17% of the snaps, Toney had an impact.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_week_9_snap_counts_a_new_wr1_emerges_in_kansas_city/s1_17313_39496836

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...