2023 GDT 0-1 Steelers vs. 1-0 Da Browns

Steeler Hitman

Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?

• Yeah, they bounce back!
    • You're a homer and you're dreaming!
    • They tie. Like kissing your great aunt and she slips you the tongue. Yuck!!!

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Wtf is Dan Moore doing here

IMO, there's a miscommunication somewhere here. Kenny looks to be communicating and changing something (can't really tell without being in the headset). Moore looks like he is blocking for the jet (a canada favorite near the endzone), but that wasn't the play. 

If I had to guess, Kenny killed the jet and not everyone got the message. 

30 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

IMO, there's a miscommunication somewhere here. Kenny looks to be communicating and changing something (can't really tell without being in the headset). Moore looks like he is blocking for the jet (a canada favorite near the endzone), but that wasn't the play. 

If I had to guess, Kenny killed the jet and not everyone got the message. 

The entire OL did it. Moore just whiffed a block. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Moore just whiffed a block. 

It looks like he is right where he thought he should be and he could 100% just be wrong. Look at how he turns his back to the sideline to cut off the interior. That's not whiffing on MG, that's letting the DE go. That's a basic concept for blocking a quick/jet to the outside and coincides with Muths first motion being laterally towards the sideline. 

IMO, this is one of two things:

- Dan screwed up and was meant to just go get the backer and doesn't. Expectation on Garrett is he needs to pay attention to the jet and the QB/boot so he won't make the play and you let him go. Really good chance Najee gets in just by taking 5 out of the picture. 

- Left side was expecting a different play call. Whether that's a kill or a check, we have no way of knowing. But someone didn't get the message. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

The entire OL’s first step was back with the right foot and literally to the sideline.  Brian Baldinger broke down the play and said it was baffling to have the entire OL move that way.  Dan Moore just missed a block pure and simple.

As always War, you are 100% right and should never be questioned into expanding the thought. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Ok then.  Sure it’s Kenny’s fault then. 🙄

100% right again. My blaming of Dan Moore was all a ruse. I had Kenny in my sights on that one all along. 

IMO Baldinger is trying to say we are getting too cute and instead should be knocking heads (he isn't wrong). But if you want to know why the design of this didn't work...you will need to ask more questions instead of assuming the right answer regardless. 

I have been doing my best to avoid you at all cost, but since we are here...

This is a generic high school level PA blocking concept - you pull the C/G to sell the run action and shift the pocket. The flaw is execution, not flawed designed for free rushers like you said. A DT that destroys the opportunity to pick up the stunt doesn't make this a non-normal thing you will see on Friday, Saturday, or Sundays. Sometimes the defense wins. They won the battle upfront in not allow us to switch the stunt, but we won the war with Kenny standing tall and throwing a dart. 

Terrible play call for the biggest spot in the game, but not terribly designed. Look at the lane created off the backside of Washington. I hate, hate, loath the length of time that this play takes in a must have short yardage situation...but the execution is the negative, not the design. So why is Chuks blocking down, Washington kicking out, and we are avoiding blocking players on the outside? Is it because we just suck and things don't make sense or because the play, likely, wasn't meant to go there?

Questioning the reasoning behind the call, the situation of the call, and the design of the play are all separate things. 

- Should we get cute on the goaline? Nope. Is the design terrible? Also no. But should we run that type of play on the goaline? It's not for me, no...

- Should we get cute on 3rd and 1 and try something from an offense we do not run? No. Would this play work if Kenny stays patient and follows the play design? Potentially. 

This has long been the issue. The stuff Canada has? Basic and boring, but fine. The who, what, why, when, and where and the levers that come along with it? An absolute nightmare of a mess. 

It’s just looks like our guys don’t know what the hell they are supposed to be doing on half of our plays. The whole offense is a complete train wreck and there’s blame to go around everywhere. The O Line, the receivers, Kenny, Canada, and Pat Meyer probably deserves a fair share of criticism as well.

The bad? It’s freaking embarrassing and absolutely painful to watch.

The good? There’s a lot of room for improvement and this type of stuff should improve over the course of the season with more game reps.

It seems this season could be a duplicate of last year where the offense looks JV level against some of the best defenses in the league early on but improves and becomes more cohesive as the players get more time to gel and the schedule lightens up. The good news is the schedule lightens up a lot faster this year than it did last year. 

• Like 1

Here is my current mock draft if KP doesnt improve:

Roudn 1 Quinn Ewers QB Texas
Round 2: Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia
Round 3: Antwane Wells Jr. WR South Carolina
Round 4a: Cedric Gray ILB North Carolina
Round 4b: Jack Nelson OT Wisconsin
Round 6: Ricky Barber DE UCF
Round 7: Noah Whittington RB Oregon

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It’s just looks like our guys don’t know what the hell they are supposed to be doing on half of our plays. The whole offense is a complete train wreck and there’s blame to go around everywhere. The O Line, the receivers, Kenny, Canada, and Pat Meyer probably deserves a fair share of criticism as well.

The bad? It’s freaking embarrassing and absolutely painful to watch.

The good? There’s a lot of room for improvement and this type of stuff should improve over the course of the season with more game reps.

It seems this season could be a duplicate of last year where the offense looks JV level against some of the best defenses in the league early on but improves and becomes more cohesive as the players get more time to gel and the schedule lightens up. The good news is the schedule lightens up a lot faster this year than it did last year. 

It’s so baffling that often times we hear how it it’s about execution, but I just don’t get how you can say that with a straight face, especially as the OC, when 3 guys are all going to the same spot on multiple plays and the OL just looks clueless as to why they were beat so bad.  I think that’s why I’ve given players a “pass” on some of their performance to some level, especially when it’s so mind bafflingly bad of a mistake, because organization of the play down lacks.

I mentioned this between games but it really seems like Canada calls plays based on “I want to see this” rather than what the defense requires. Then the play starts and nothing is near where it’s supposed to be and guys look lost and split between adjusting to what’s developing and what they are supposed to do.