• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Which really only ups my comparison of him to Anquan Boldin. Just a tough target who can shine on early downs with tough grabs. Break a game open, probably not. But stress out a defensive coordinator with 8 catches over the middle against the blitz? Yeah.

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Which really only ups my comparison of him to Anquan Boldin. Just a tough target who can shine on early downs with tough grabs. Break a game open, probably not. But stress out a defensive coordinator with 8 catches over the middle against the blitz? Yeah.

Would we rather another underneath guy like Lamb, or a guy who can blow the top off a D and open up underneath for Lamb?

Just now, MaddHatter said:

Would we rather another underneath guy like Lamb, or a guy who can blow the top off a D and open up underneath for Lamb?

I kind of view Lamb as quite able to do both himself. He has harassed teams vertically. But has also killed teams with short catches that he turns into big gains. I don't think Lamb needs a "fast" receiver opposite him to open anything up for him. What he really needs is a guy who can box out a safety or find a gap against the blitz, so he can continue to break games open with big plays.

Also, speed hasn't made a player a vertical threat in over a decade or longer. The faster receivers for the last 10+ years have made their money working short, not deep. The better deep receivers are large, physical, and know how to separate at the top of a route. That concept of a receiver outrunning a defense down the field for a long bomb is dead. Better athletes now on D. And more physical as well. They get stalled at the line, and then struggle to catch up to the play fast enough to even get deep enough for it to work anymore.

Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Megatron, Keenan Allen, etc are the prototypes now for the vertical threats. And none of those guys were really straight line burners. Just knew how to get open deep and make a physical play for the ball.

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is by far the fastest and deepest WR draft we’ve seen in many years, if not ever. Many of the WRs in this group have elite track speed.

Looking forward to seeing what weapons we load up on

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I kind of view Lamb as quite able to do both himself. He has harassed teams vertically. But has also killed teams with short catches that he turns into big gains. I don't think Lamb needs a "fast" receiver opposite him to open anything up for him. What he really needs is a guy who can box out a safety or find a gap against the blitz, so he can continue to break games open with big plays.

Also, speed hasn't made a player a vertical threat in over a decade or longer. The faster receivers for the last 10+ years have made their money working short, not deep. The better deep receivers are large, physical, and know how to separate at the top of a route. That concept of a receiver outrunning a defense down the field for a long bomb is dead. Better athletes now on D. And more physical as well. They get stalled at the line, and then struggle to catch up to the play fast enough to even get deep enough for it to work anymore.

Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Megatron, Keenan Allen, etc are the prototypes now for the vertical threats. And none of those guys were really straight line burners. Just knew how to get open deep and make a physical play for the ball.

Desean Jackson, Tyreek Hill, DK Metcalf, Waddle?