• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

50 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I bet McClay regrets those words. And Jerry regrets that pick.

To be fair. I never thought Mazi was a bad pick. Just the WRONG pick.

You’re moving the goal posts on the conversation. The argument is about whether they forced a pick. They didn’t. Clearly they misevaluated. That’s another story.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I bet McClay regrets those words. And Jerry regrets that pick.

To be fair. I never thought Mazi was a bad pick. Just the WRONG pick. Bergeron was better. Porter was better. Levis had star written right across his forehead. And if this team was going to trade up for a certain Memphis QB in 2016, you gonna tell me they couldn't even consider Will Levis in the late 1st with Dak making as much as he was making and two seasons out from being out of contract? 

There were just better options. Nose tackle no longer controls the defensive run game like it used to. It plays a part. Or can. In the right system. But backs are too agile for that now. And there's far too much wide angle, zone running going on to make the nose so much of a factor. Too few teams isolation run often enough to make a nose tackle a top pick unless that nose tackle is also going to heavily impact the passing game. Which was not what Mazi showed on tape at all, they can project him to do so all they want. But reality was, he never once showed a knack for it. True noses are Too big, too slow, too easily taken out of play with a playcall. You want to shore up the run D, you bring in some real downhill linebackers with a fast first step who can react quickly and get to the edge just as quickly. Relying on your nose to stuff the inside gap to stop the run is so 1998. Back when isolation runs right at the gut of the front 7 was the primary mode of ball transportation 

As to the initial point. I haven't watched the doc on Roku since last year. But I remember the debate over yes I believe 13th and 14th, and it being settled by a "run defense is a must" response. And oddly. Who wasn't involved in that discussion? The god damned defensive coordinator....

Regardless, the team had Mazi rated pretty high and felt they were getting value.  In their mind value and need met with Mazi. Some teams saw something in Mazi as well. Other clubs I think KC were looking to move up to take him.  Teams can make mistakes regardless of what their board says.  I'm hoping Zimmer can utilize the kid and bring something out of him.  Too early to write him off.

Edited by Northland

11 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Center is very possible even with JPJ possibly gone. Graham Barton is definitely a solid prospect at center who can start on day 1. Moving out to guard and Tyler to tackle is also an option depending on what happens in camp at LT, and id suspect they likely add a guy later in the draft to at least compete there.

I'd be against moving Tyler, as it would remind me too much of what they did to Lael Collins - he went from top 5ish guard to top 15-20ish RT. It wasn't a good enough trade off for me regardless of RT being more "valuable" ... I would hate to see a potentially perennial all pro guard become a possible pro bowl selection every few years at tackle. His traits, what makes him so good, are just better inside.

That said, Barton could do either position inside which gives them a lot of flexibility on how things play out in the rest of the draft and in camp. The pick would make way too much sense if Barton is available. And I'd be on board with the pick since he's immensely talented with good footwork, a real nasty streak in the run game, and as I said, a day 1 starter especially at center.

Also @DaBoys where's your draft contest this year man? Was looking forward to it

Sorry buddy, I’ve been so tuned out this off season idek who the cowboys are looking at. And frankly, I’ve stopped caring. 

But I threw one up. So feel free to have at it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Clearly they misevaluated. That’s another story.

I don’t even know if we can say that. Why draft a 330 lb guy to turn around and have him drop weight and play under 300. Weird situation regardless.

30 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don’t even know if we can say that. Why draft a 330 lb guy to turn around and have him drop weight and play under 300. Weird situation regardless.

They’ve publicly admitted they expected more from him. They admitted he didn’t fit what their defensive coach needed. And we know he was 12th or 13th best on the board.

He may ultimately become a beast. TBD. But he’s not what they expected when they drafted him. The eval was clearly off, and if they had it to do over again, they would take the trade from KC and draft Bergeron.

On 4/24/2024 at 7:06 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You’re moving the goal posts on the conversation. The argument is about whether they forced a pick. They didn’t. Clearly they misevaluated. That’s another story.

I revisted that at the end of that post. Sorry I tend to be long winded and you missed that part 

19 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Been re-watching/researching the guys that we seem most likely to land at our pick.

Am I the only one who didn’t realize Graham Barton as a center has a RAS of 10?

I won't be surprised if Barton is the pick at 24.  I think JPJ will be gone.  Barton can start right away.  If he is gone I think they'll look at OT.  Not sure if you'll get an OT who immediately contributes at 24.  If OT is not an option they'll try and trade back.  Tyler can move to LT.

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Seems like the opposite will be true.

Depending on the medicals I agree. Hearing some teams won't clear him. Barton absolutely would make sense though. As would JPJ, Fuaga, Guyton. And pretty much any offensive lineman that slides for any reason. It is quite possible Dallas has 3 of 4 targets of theirs available and moves back to take what's left.