• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

8 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Well, Goff and Wentz would be gone so cross them off the list. Honestly, at the time , I wouldn’t have a clue… picking now after the fact, it’s easily Dak, the best QB out of the 2016 draft class even though Goff did take his team to the Superbowl 

18 hours ago, PincheJimmy said:

Jared Goff is one I believe and he was a top 5 pick ? Who the other ? 

Goff and Wentz have rings. Yes Nick Foles played the SB, but Wentz was having an MVP caliber season before he bent his leg in what I believe was a career altering injury in week 11 or 12 that season. 

For the record, I thought and still think Dak was a good pick in the 4th round of 2016.

If we had gone Jalen Ramsey, Derick Henry, Justin Simmons, Dak it would have been a home run. Though I think Jacoby Brissett could have had a similar career as Dak if he had the same talent. 

My issue with Dak isn’t with him being of value as a 4th round pick 8 years ago.

My issue is him being the highest paid player in the NFL and touted as a top 3 QB and regularly compared to Tom Brady by his cult like followers. 

39 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Goff and Wentz have rings. Yes Nick Foles played the SB, but Wentz was having an MVP caliber season before he bent his leg in what I believe was a career altering injury in week 11 or 12 that season. 

For the record, I thought and still think Dak was a good pick in the 4th round of 2016.

If we had gone Jalen Ramsey, Derick Henry, Justin Simmons, Dak it would have been a home run. Though I think Jacoby Brissett could have had a similar career as Dak if he had the same talent. 

My issue with Dak isn’t with him being of value as a 4th round pick 8 years ago.

My issue is him being the highest paid player in the NFL and touted as a top 3 QB and regularly compared to Tom Brady by his cult like followers. 

Goff went to the SB, but he did not win it 

Jared Goff needed his coach to tell him what to do through his earpiece, and then got traded away because his coach thought he was the thing holding him back.

It takes some Olympic caliber mental gymnastics to discredit Dak’s success, but give Jared Goff unqualified credit for his. If they both hit the open market tomorrow, Dak would be the far more expensive player, with far more suitors. 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:16 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Lol, if we draft a 24 year old QB with major knee and shoulder injury history in the first round, I will livestream myself eating my underwear and then stop watching football forever.

In 2016, we brought in Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Dak Prescott, and Jacoby Brissett in on official 30 visits.

But we’re supposed to believe they would consider someone with Penix’s profile at #24, without even having their doctors look at him?

No chance.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

In 2016, we brought in Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Dak Prescott, and Jacoby Brissett in on official 30 visits.

But we’re supposed to believe they would consider someone with Penix’s profile at #24, without even having their doctors look at him?

No chance.

I agree. I find it highly unlikely that we'd do that. The organization has shown that it generally drafts the players who were brought in for visits. When we deviate from it, the player typically doesn't work out. 

Been busier than usual, so I’m not going to be able to get to as many players as typical. But I have been working my way through the most relevant 30 visits. Here are my thoughts so far (sorted by position & consensus board ranking):

Offensive Line
Barring something crazy, your 1st round draft pick is going to come from this list. Get your prop bets in.

14: Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State - Haven’t watched him yet, seems like a pipe dream and no brainer if he makes it to #24
20: Troy Fautanu, OL, Washington - Love the way this guy plays. Tough, strong, instinctive, yet light on his feet. No concern about his ability to play LT, and he measured in above typical minimum thresholds for the position. He was my early favorite for #24, but it seems to be increasingly unlikely that he’ll last that long. Would be a home run.
24: Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC, Oregon - Stud. You want a Travis Frederick replacement, this guy does so much of what made him great. What a fun player. Huge and powerful, can get out on the move. A lot will come down to his medicals. I think a great scenario would be that we land him in a trade back, and a fever dream is his medicals spook enough teams that he falls to us in round 2. The tea leaves are there for him to be on the board longer than expected. But he played all of 2023-24, so this may be a Ron Leary scenario.
27: Graham Barton, OL, Duke - I might lean Barton over JPJ, but it’s close. His experience, tenacity, and versatility likely has Will McClay drooling. I think he’s a walk-in upgrade over Biadasz. Either of these centers would be huge for the top of our pocket. I think I still lean OT, but would still be thrilled.
40: Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU - I’ve posted about him before. A little raw, but a true LT. Amazing athlete. Young with big time experience. Captain. Reminds me a lot of how we felt felt about Tyler Smith. This is the guy I have my eye on most closely right now.
127: Matt Goncalves, OT, Pitt - TBD
N/R: Giovanni Manu, T, British Columbia - TBD  

Linebacker   
Cowboys are hunting linebackers. I will be shocked if we leave day 2 without drafting someone, and I think there’s a pretty good chance we double dip. The top three on this list are all walk-in starters.

44: Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M - What a dream fit for Zimmer’s defense. A terror in the A-gap, with tons of sideline to sideline range. Would be a huge boost to our run defense immediately. I think he’s a long shot to fall to our pick in round 2. 
47: Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State - My guy. Many shades of Sean Lee, except he enters the NFL after a healthy season. Also shows promise as a blitzer, would be a really good fit for Zimmer. He has an injury history and is older than most prospects. Absent that, he’d be long gone by our second round pick. Easily worth the risk, given team needs.
56: Junior Colson, LB, Michigan - My third favorite LB, but still easily worth a second rounder. Versatile and aggressive. Love, love, love the closing speed.
159: Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky - TBD
188: Jordan Magee, LB, Temple - TBD
215: Nathaniel Watson, LB, Mississippi State - TBD

Runningback   
I’m leaning LB over RB in round 2, but there are several guys worthy. I expect you’ll see one drafted before day 2 is over.

60: Trey Benson, RB, Florida State - Juice! Is he a full-time guy immediately? I’m not so sure, needs some more consistency. Does he compliment Dowdle and immediately replace Pollard’s big play ability? Absolutely. Plus big long-term potential. 
61: Jonathon Brooks, RB, University of Texas - If healthy, this guy is going to be the best runningback in the class, and is very much the full-service guy we tend to like. Wiped out at linebacker in round 2, and I’m in.
102: Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin - This guy might be a likely third round pick. I can’t be the first person to make this comparison, but he reminds me so much of the good and bad of Le’Veon Bell coming out. A big guy who doesn’t always use his heft. Silky feet, for any RB, not just for his size. Very patient. If he sveltes up like Bell did, you might have a really big time RB. But the floor is low here.
114: Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon - TBD
167: Tyrone Tracy, RB, Purdue - TBD
189: Rasheen Ali, RB, Marshall - TBD
190: Jase McClellan, RB, Alabama - TBD
341: Emani Bailey, RB, TCU - TBD

Defensive Line
I can’t see this happening. Covering our bases in case the board goes wonky like in 2021. But we aren’t going to take these guys.

19: Byron Murphy, DT, Texas - TBD
33: Darius Robinson, EDGE, Missouri - TBD

Pass catcher
A need, but not enough draft picks. I think the possibility of a pass catcher opens up if we trade back in round 1 and add an additional 2nd or 3rd.

55: Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, University of Texas - TBD. But regardless. No. God no. No, God, please! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOO!
64: Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky - My dude. I would LOVE to add Corley. If we trade back, I will immediately be holding my breath until he is selected. So much fun. You can scheme him into the offense immediately. Actually has some natural receiver-ness to his game. Just an all-out baller. A little bit like a raw Deebo.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I agree. I find it highly unlikely that we'd do that. The organization has shown that it generally drafts the players who were brought in for visits. When we deviate from it, the player typically doesn't work out. 

We deviate sometimes, but the tea leaves are almost always there on the position. We didn’t bring in CeeDee or Tolbert their years, but both times we knew we were hunting WRs. For a potential big investment into a QB, we’d know. 

13 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Jared Goff needed his coach to tell him what to do through his earpiece, and then got traded away because his coach thought he was the thing holding him back.

It takes some Olympic caliber mental gymnastics to discredit Dak’s success, but give Jared Goff unqualified credit for his. If they both hit the open market tomorrow, Dak would be the far more expensive player, with far more suitors. 

Was McVay in his ear in Detroit too? I guess he’s just lucky to have the offensive genius of McVay and Dan Campbell back to back. I don’t think Dak leads Detroit to a championship game. 

I’m not so sure Dak is more valuable on the open market either. I think your cowboys fan is showing. Goff is more accomplished and a bit younger.

Goff has 17 picks the last two years combined.  Dak threw 15 in one truncated season. Goff threw 2 interceptions in his three playoff games this season. Dak threw 2 interceptions in his annual WC loss. Goff had as many playoff wins this year as Dak does his whole career. They lost to the 49ers 34-31 in the NFCC game. We can only dream. 

49 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We deviate sometimes, but the tea leaves are almost always there on the position. We didn’t bring in CeeDee or Tolbert their years, but both times we knew we were hunting WRs. For a potential big investment into a QB, we’d know. 

CeeDee wasn't brought in because he was widely considered to be a Top 6 pick. I was one of the few people who thought he'd fall to us.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, DaBoys said:

but Wentz was having an MVP caliber season before he bent his leg in what I believe was a career altering injury in week 11 or 12 that season. 

So if Dak was having another (2) MVP Caliber season, went down in week 12, and Cooper Rush went on to win the Super Bowl, would you still be giving Dak credit for having a ring?  lmfao