Week-To-Week Random Tidbits

D82

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

It looked like that and quacked like that the weekend it happened. Was hoping I was wrong, but…. JPJ is balling. Torrence is still… starting. Which is more than we can say for the 2nd round pick we took over him, and speaking of Schoonmaker… Darnell Washington the 6’7” 270 pound OL/TE who ran a 4.6, is a much better blocker, has more receiving yards, and was available at out pick in round 3. 

Absolutely abysmal draft then and even worse now. Tired of passing over BPA for sce fit to see the Steelers end up with Watt, JPJ, and Washington 

I'm willing to give them more time. Last years draft class hasn't been as hot as expected either, outside of really Tyler Smith and Bland. 

8 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'm willing to give them more time. Last years draft class hasn't been as hot as expected either, outside of really Tyler Smith and Bland. 

Because of the way we approach free agency… we almost HAVE to hit in the draft. Not doing so hurts bad. We need at LEAST one guy who can contribute right away, otherwise we don’t really improve and in fact probably regress. Last year was Smith/Bland/Sam Williams, year before was Parsons/Osa/Muk. Year before was Lamb/Diggs/Biadasz/Gallimore etc… even in the Trysten Hill draft we scored Tony Pollard… who’s our guy this year? Late? Early? Nobody is stepping up. If not for the Gilmore acquisition we’d be completely dry

Edited by DaBoys

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Because of the way we approach free agency… we almost HAVE to hit in the draft. Not doing so hurts bad. We need at LEAST one guy who can contribute right away, otherwise we don’t really improve and in fact probably regress. Last year was Smith/Bland/Sam Williams, year before was Parsons/Osa/Muk. Year before was Lamb/Diggs/Biadasz/Gallimore etc… even in the Trysten Hill draft we scored Tony Pollard… who’s our guy this year? Late? Early? Nobody is stepping up. If not for the Gilmore acquisition we’d be completely dry

Mazi has been solid. Just...run stuffing NT's aren't really as valuable as they were 20 years ago unless they provide some type of pass rush ability. Which, Mazi has...but he hasn't really shown it yet. 

8 minutes ago, D82 said:

Mazi has been solid. Just...run stuffing NT's aren't really as valuable as they were 20 years ago unless they provide some type of pass rush ability. Which, Mazi has...but he hasn't really shown it yet. 

He has 2 tackles and 1 assist with a 43.8 pff grade. Far from solid unless we are talking about his skull. To put his grade in perspective Vita Vea is 73.6, Payne 78.7, Dexter Lawrence 91.2…. Jonathan Hankins.. 46.6, Osa 79.7, Gallimore 55.8…

Solid is not the word to describe his performance. Bad may not even cut it. I’m actively searching for a DT with a worse grade. 

PFF grades are certainly flawed but in general a really good score means you’re doing okay, and a really bad score means you’re not. You can argue how okay you are or not but in general it gives you a good idea. 

Edited by DaBoys

Here’s some more pff scores for DTs rookie edition:

Rd 1

Jalen Carter 91.8

Calijah Kancey N/A

Mazi Smith 43.8

Bryan Bresee 47.7

Rd 2

Keeanu Benton 78.3

Gervin Dexter sr. 64.5

Rd 3

Zacch Pickens 48.5

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/di

It’s official. If I’m reading this correctly Mazi Smith is the worst and lowest graded DT out of 150 on the list. Again, does that mean that he has actually been the worst iDL in the league? Maybe not. But he certainly isn’t doing well

29 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Here’s some more pff scores for DTs rookie edition:

Rd 1

Jalen Carter 91.8

Calijah Kancey N/A

Mazi Smith 43.8

Bryan Bresee 47.7

Rd 2

Keeanu Benton 78.3

Gervin Dexter sr. 64.5

Rd 3

Zacch Pickens 48.5

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/di

It’s official. If I’m reading this correctly Mazi Smith is the worst and lowest graded DT out of 150 on the list. Again, does that mean that he has actually been the worst iDL in the league? Maybe not. But he certainly isn’t doing well

I really liked Benton...so not surprised to see him doing well. 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

It looked like that and quacked like that the weekend it happened. Was hoping I was wrong, but…. JPJ is balling. Torrence is still… starting. Which is more than we can say for the 2nd round pick we took over him, and speaking of Schoonmaker… Darnell Washington the 6’7” 270 pound OL/TE who ran a 4.6, is a much better blocker, has more receiving yards, and was available at our pick in round 3. 

Absolutely abysmal draft then and even worse now. Tired of passing over BPA for scheme fit to see the Steelers end up with Watt, JPJ, and Washington 

Meh, JPJ not a starter ( Bland better than him ), he’s be the 4th CB here 

Darnell Washington has 1 catch for 10 yds for the season ( sucks we don’t get to see Overshown this season ) 

Torrence beat out a journeyman G but he looks to be decent 🤷‍♂️ ( I would have prefer Drew Sanders myself) 

So, not a great start for this years draft, can’t knock out of the park every time , but they have been one of the better organizations when it’s comes to drafting . I’m more concerned with the offense putting up points and the Defense getting back to playing like they were before 

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

It's unfortunate that our most promising looking rookie, Overshown, tore up his knee.  He looked solid.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

Meh, JPJ not a starter ( Bland better than him ), he’s be the 4th CB here 

Darnell Washington has 1 catch for 10 yds for the season ( sucks we don’t get to see Overshown this season ) 

Torrence beat out a journeyman G but he looks to be decent 🤷‍♂️ ( I would have prefer Drew Sanders myself) 

So, not a great start for this years draft, can’t knock out of the park every time , but they have been one of the better organizations when it’s comes to drafting . I’m more concerned with the offense putting up points and the Defense getting back to playing like they were before 

I also don't think Porter would have been the pick. All signs seemed to point to Bergeron being the guy if they didn't take Mazi. 

55 minutes ago, D82 said:

I also don't think Porter would have been the pick. All signs seemed to point to Bergeron being the guy if they didn't take Mazi. 

Well yeah we’ve all seen the video. I’m saying JPJ SHOULD have been the pick imo because he was BPA…. Again imo. 

He was the highest graded CB in the league week 5. Again that doesn’t mean he’s the best but obviously had a good week. Still waiting for Mazi to do one

Porter’s been targeted seven times through five games and 76 coverage snaps. Only one reception (12 yards) was allowed on those targets, two passes were broken up, and, of course, there was the interception of Lamar Jackson on the throw to Beckham. Porter’s 0.0 passer rating allowed is the best in the NFL.

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-joey-porter-jr-earns-144005822.html

Edited by DaBoys

"Jerry is covering his mouth so no one can tell, but he's yelling at the coaches, 'Throw the ball to Terrell! Throw the ball to Terrell!' He must have done it like five straight plays. T.O. ends up with a big day and we win," Johnson said. "I've never seen anything like that in all my days. We're trying to win a game and the owner is over here playing Madden."

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/jerry-jones-stories-dallas-cowboys/

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

"Jerry is covering his mouth so no one can tell, but he's yelling at the coaches, 'Throw the ball to Terrell! Throw the ball to Terrell!' He must have done it like five straight plays. T.O. ends up with a big day and we win," Johnson said. "I've never seen anything like that in all my days. We're trying to win a game and the owner is over here playing Madden."

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/jerry-jones-stories-dallas-cowboys/

Where there is smoke...there is usually fire. And these are things we've all kind of stated over the years. 

Jerry can't stay out of the goddamn way. And until he does, this franchise will never amount to a damn thing truly worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Where there is smoke...there is usually fire. And these are things we've all kind of stated over the years. 

Jerry can't stay out of the goddamn way. And until he does, this franchise will never amount to a damn thing truly worthwhile. 

Jerry doesn't like to see his multi-million dollar toys sitting in the closet. Considering who was calling plays at that time Jerry could hardly do worse.