The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Outside of him shutting down that special office stuff and benching him... I dunno.

Should I give Russell a pass that he's a changed man? 

Well Russell never did anything to you or I so you do what you will.

I don't doubt that he will say cringe things, but he wants to keep playing and he played well within Sean's system, especially in the middle of the season. 

I also agree that Russell isn't the best option long term, but I see it as a viable option short term and build up all other positions.

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Well, yes. We always want to win and make the playoffs. But, a rookie QB is an entirely different situation than bringing in 35 year old Russell Wilson to bridge something - we did this with Alex Smith, Carson Wentz recently. It went fantastic right? All those 7 wins! You're telling me it's the same situation? 

A QB on the decline, or the potential of young QB on the rise.

I would be elated if a rookie QB came in and won 7 games next year with our roster. I would expect a veteran like Russell to win 7 games with our roster. So no its not the same, my expectations would be higher for a vet QB. But ultimately if we won 7 games with any QB in Dan Quinns first year after a year where we shouldn't have won 4 games, I would be pretty happy.

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

As long as you can resign for that, then great!

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you saying the 25-30 price tag is great? Are you saying you would be ok with Russ at that price? Are you being sarcastic? 

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Always love seeing input from folks with expertise, but it’s a huge red flag for me seeing a guy say something like “I’m only going to be looking at his highlights because I want to focus on his good plays and not judge him on his bad plays.” Yikes. 

Applying that methodology, I can definitely see how you’d have Jayden as QB1. Find the great runs and the great deep balls, ignore everything else. He’s got two A+ traits (those two I just named) and that accounts for every one of those highlights. There’s a little more to playing QB in the NFL than running QB draws and throwing slot fades to the best WRs in the country. Which Benkert knows, which is why this approach feels extra weird. He’s just intentionally ignoring the whole picture. Like he doesn’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings.

The best example is probably the part where he says “and he’s smart about not taking big hits.” Which is arguably the single biggest criticism of Daniels. Even on these highlights he’s watching, he’s getting slammed to the ground by college safeties and LBs. But he sees him successfully duck out of bounds on one play and deems the kid “smart about not taking hits.”

I also just have to point out…hilarious that he offhandedly makes the observation that he thinks maybe Daniels might have played other sports growing up. Word? You think the 6’4, 210 pound guy with the 4.4-4.5 speed might have played other sports? Holmes, you’ve done it again! 😂

Anyway, thanks for sharing @ARTMONK HOF…another opinion to add to the bank of opinions, and the sentiment is definitely growing that Jayden is the most exciting guy. Just a little frustrating to see a guy who obviously knows this stuff taking such a superficial approach.

I mean, its Kurt Benkert. He breaks down film with Madden. What do you expect from a Wahoo?

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you saying the 25-30 price tag is great? Are you saying you would be ok with Russ at that price? Are you being sarcastic? 

If Sam Howell plays well and we continue with him and we get him for a 2 year $50m deal, then that's great. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If Sam Howell plays well and we continue with him and we get him for a 2 year $50m deal, then that's great. 

Got it. I was actually talking about Russ at that pricetag, but it doesn't matter. 

I think a lot of things would have to fall the wrong way for Sam to get another chance at playing, but who knows. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

If the ultimate result of this off-season is hiring Dan Quinn, passing on Drake Maye and signing Russell Wilson I will be pretty bummed out lol

Don't leave out that we traded down, secured an extra 1st next year, landed Brock Bowers and secured our offensive line through the draft in that hypothetical ultimate result scenario. 

I'm sorry to everyone, that the QBs aren't the shiny thing I believe the team needs the most. I feel like a contrarian a lot here because I don't share the same views on the QB class or what I would/wouldn't like to do in the draft. I would much rather go Bowers/MHJr/Alt after a trade down over any QB (minus Williams if he falls to 2). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Don't leave out that we traded down, secured an extra 1st next year, landed Brock Bowers and secured our offensive line through the draft in that hypothetical ultimate result scenario. 

I'm sorry to everyone, that the QBs aren't the shiny thing I believe the team needs the most. I feel like a contrarian a lot here because I don't share the same views on the QB class or what I would/wouldn't like to do in the draft. I would much rather go Bowers/MHJr/Alt after a trade down over any QB (minus Williams if he falls to 2). 

But that's the thing, I don't care about an extra first in a bad QB draft. I don't want a 36-year old QB who hasn't been good for the last 3 years. I want hope at the position. I want someone we can win with for the next 15. And I love Brock Bowers but trading back to take a TE in a draft that has Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels seems like a giant kick in the nuts. Also, there is almost no scenario where you trade down and end up with MHJ. You might not even end up with Bowers after a trade down. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But that's the thing, I don't care about an extra first in a bad QB draft. I don't want a 36-year old QB who hasn't been good for the last 3 years. I want hope at the position. I want someone we can win with for the next 15. And I love Brock Bowers but trading back to take a TE in a draft that has Caleb Williams, Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels seems like a giant kick in the nuts. Also, there is almost no scenario where you trade down and end up with MHJ. You might not even end up with Bowers after a trade down. 

Yeah, I gotta feel MHJ's absolute floor is #4, right? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We see things differently. I don't think this team benefits from drafting a QB until, at the very least, the line situation is fixed. We have forced rookie QB after rookie QB to play behind patchwork offensive lines and ruined all of them. If you want whatever prized rookie QB to survive, there has to be more talent around him. 

Here's the thing, the 49ers are proving you can win with a guy that no one wanted if you put him in a position to succeed. Any QB can succeed in the right situation. Our situation ain't that right now. We are a long way away from being the 49ers. 

I won't clutter this thread with anymore non-QB talk though. It's clear what everyone else wants. 

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, I gotta feel MHJ's absolute floor is #4, right? 

Absolutely. I'd have to guess the Cards are letting Hollywood walk so MHJ has to be almost a guarantee for them

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We see things differently. I don't think this team benefits from drafting a QB until, at the very least, the line situation is fixed. We have forced rookie QB after rookie QB to play behind patchwork offensive lines and ruined all of them. If you want whatever prized rookie QB to survive, there has to be more talent around him. 

Here's the thing, the 49ers are proving you can win with a guy that no one wanted if you put him in a position to succeed. Any QB can succeed in the right situation. Our situation ain't that right now. We are a long way away from being the 49ers. 

I won't clutter this thread with anymore non-QB talk though. It's clear what everyone else wants. 

I don't know man? We had an OL with Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses and Ereck Flowers and we still sucked. 3 of those guys were top 10 picks. I just think if you don't have a QB you don't have much of anything. And I'm not sure I agree that the 49ers proved anything other than they completely lucked out on Brock Purdy. 

And I wouldn't say you're cluttering at all. Me disagreeing doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading your side of it. I enjoy the discourse my dude. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 2