The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's a wonderful trade for the Vikings lol. Its awful for us. 

Whenever these trades get floated around on these articles, I think the writers treat certain teams as "same old (insert name here)"

If Minnesota wants to move up and we're confident we can get our guy/a guy somehow, then I'm okay with it, but, it wouldn't be for anything less than these 2 first rounders they have, next years 1st, and a couple of other picks. I would leverage the hell out of it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

If Minnesota wants to move up and we're confident we can get our guy/a guy somehow, then I'm okay with it, but, it wouldn't be for anything less than these 2 first rounders they have, next years 1st, and a couple of other picks. I would leverage the hell out of it.

The only team I could see us trading down with is New England. That is only if the team truly does not have a preference between Maye and Daniels (I think they do have a preference). 

I don't think we drop out of the top 3 under any circumstance. They are going to take a QB early. I don't particularly like it as I am not sold on any of the QBs in this class, but they clearly are. 

In a perfect world, we trade down with New England getting more draft capital and still get the "preferred" QB. I expect us to not get cute and take the QB we want at #2. 

• Like 1

Is it weird to me that the most terrifying thing to me in this draft is taking the wrong one? Like I think Daniels in this first year is going to have moments/games especially where if we don't take him we'll be like "Oh man, we should have" Whereas with Maye, I think we get more out of him in year 3+

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The only team I could see us trading down with is New England. That is only if the team truly does not have a preference between Maye and Daniels (I think they do have a preference). 

I don't think we drop out of the top 3 under any circumstance. They are going to take a QB early. I don't particularly like it as I am not sold on any of the QBs in this class, but they clearly are. 

In a perfect world, we trade down with New England getting more draft capital and still get the "preferred" QB. I expect us to not get cute and take the QB we want at #2. 

Ironically enough, if you like a QB better than the other, just stay at #2 and take them. If you're correct, I think the value of how much "better" that QB is probably supersedes anything you get in trade compensation from dropping down one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Ironically enough, if you like a QB better than the other, just stay at #2 and take them. If you're correct, I think the value of how much "better" that QB is probably supersedes anything you get in trade compensation from dropping down one. 

Yea. They probably have a preference. As to which one they prefer, I have no clue. I think we see Chicago make pick #1 and the commissioner makes a quick turn around and announces who we pick at #2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yea. They probably have a preference. As to which one they prefer, I have no clue. I think we see Chicago make pick #1 and the commissioner makes a quick turn around and announces who we pick at #2. 

I'd at least sweat it for a couple minutes, see if anyone (Vikings) start to panic now that it's live, and truly do make you a ridiculous offer you can't refuse. But otherwise, yeah, you know what you're doing at that point anyway. 

Just now, TOUCAN said:

Is the gap from Williams to the next 2 insurmountable?

I like both Maye and Daniels, and yes think Caleb is better than both enough that it would be hard to convince the Bears to swap. 

I am back and forth between Maye and Daniels, each have certain traits I like more than the other. I think CW is better than both and would love to get him but unfortunately doesn't look promising. I personally don't think either us or new england move back. Both are rebuilding and best place to start is QB. It would have to be a record haul in order for me to even take the call to move back, and even then still probably wouldn't. This fanbase needs something to be excited for and I know how I will respond if we decide to move back. 

• Like 1

In case anyone is wondering, I'm on Daniels today after watching Chase Daniels film breakdown. Still bothers me that he's not really a guy who is gonna get you things in between the hashes but I think that can be developed. Those long sideline shots though... those are special.

8 minutes ago, TOUCAN said:

Is the gap from Williams to the next 2 insurmountable?

I actually think the gap is monstrous. Caleb Williams appears to be better at every phase of the game. The only knock on Williams, for me, is personality/off-the-field. I think he processes information well and is a very intelligent football player. He has the ability to look off defenders and looks comfortable in almost any situation. 

I feel there are significant deficiencies for all of the other QB prospects. 

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd at least sweat it for a couple minutes, see if anyone (Vikings) start to panic now that it's live, and truly do make you a ridiculous offer you can't refuse. But otherwise, yeah, you know what you're doing at that point anyway. 

The issue for me is, that I think we have to come away with either Daniels or Maye. A result that lands us 4 1st round picks looks great on paper, but who starts at QB?

I have sat here and beat the table for months that we should trade down and maximize draft capital for the next year(s), but with Howell leaving, that feeling is gone. That is how much Howell's presence meant to me. They had to feel confident in whoever they are drafting to get rid of the only young QB with any potential on the roster.

IMO, they have to take a QB at 2, or at 3 if they can negotiate a trade with NE. But a trade down with the Vikings or anyone else, is out of the question to me.

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

The issue for me is, that I think we have to come away with either Daniels or Maye. A result that lands us 4 1st round picks looks great on paper, but who starts at QB?

I have sat here and beat the table for months that we should trade down and maximize draft capital for the next year(s), but with Howell leaving, that feeling is gone. That is how much Howell's presence meant to me. They had to feel confident in whoever they are drafting to get rid of the only young QB with any potential on the roster.

IMO, they have to take a QB at 2, or at 3 if they can negotiate a trade with NE.

The thing is you can trade back but if you trade back to like 11, you're going to miss on all 4 top QB prospects. JJ won't get past New York. I'm a big JJ truther, I don't think he was used properly much of his time at Michigan. Also aside from TEs, while Wilson is working out well and going up draft boards, Wilson wasn't that great. Now, working over the middle? JJ can do that. Thats what I do like about him.

• Like 1