Where does Eberflus rank on all time bad hires?

Slingin' Sammy

Instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to propose a topic to NFL Gen folks:

You have just inherited $10B and whoever owns the Bears just sold the team to you. Congrats! You're now the owner of the Chicago Bears. Let's say hypothetically the Bears finish with 2 of the first 3 picks in next year's draft, and before you took over, they fired Eberflus and their GM.

What do you do to put the Bears on the right track, starting with:

1. Who do you hire as the GM?
  2. Who do you hire as the HC?
  3. What do you do with their draft capital?

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You have just inherited $10B and whoever owns the Bears just sold the team to you. Congrats! You're now the owner of the Chicago Bears. Let's say hypothetically the Bears finish with 2 of the first 3 picks in next year's draft, and before you took over, they fired Eberflus and their GM.

1. Adam Peters, assistant GM of the San Francisco 49ers
2. Bobby Slowik, OC of the Houston Texans, or Frank Smith, OC of the Miami Dolphins if Slowik declines
3. Caleb Williams/Drake Maye(depending on whether you get 1 or 2) and Marvin Harrison Jr.(or the best LT available if he's gone, not familiar with the OL prospects)

Edited by jonnguy2015

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1.  I dont have any specific names in mind since i don’t follow teams front offices, but I’d be looking to poach someone from a team that consistently drafts/develops good players (a real off-the-wall approach, i know).  Ideally someone who’s worked in several different organizations.  I’m looking at the 49ers, rams, ravens, and dare i say….lions.  That being said, the bears hired from the chiefs and eagles front offices in Ryan Poles and Ian Cunningham last time around.  Someone that has seen success through different means at different organizations could be the key.

2.  As for HC, I’m going offensive minded - Ben Johnson (OC Lions).  Johnson has built a legitimate offense there in Detroit led by Jarred Goff, so assuming they finish strong, i expect him to be one of, if not the, hottest HC candidates.  Johnson is also only 37 years old, but has a rather diversified offensive coaching background that includes QB coach and passing game coordinator.  

3.  Assuming one of the picks is 1.1 then it’s Caleb Williams without hesitation. Then idk if the next pick is 1.2 or 1.3, but it’s going to be one of Fashanu or MHJ.  I almost prefer they get 1.3 so that we (presumably) don’t have to decide between the two.  Either way you’re coming away with a cornerstone franchise LT or a #1 wr for Caleb to grow with ala burrow and chase.

The biggest thing here is to get everyone (GM, HC, and QB) on the same page and same timeline.  Pace and Nagy shouldn’t have been able to draft Fields in a make or break year.  If the bears have a chance to take Caleb, don’t overthink it.  Clean slate and start fresh. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:26 PM, DawgX said:

I have no idea. I haven't watched much of the Bears, so maybe he is truly horrible, but what the hell does he have to work with personnel wise?

Most of the free agent money was spent on the defense and one of my brothers is a Colts fan and from what he told me Eberflus supposedly didn't have the best of talent while coaching there (especially at pass rush) but managed to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers.  But even then his defenses were mediocre.  Keep in mind I don't follow Indy and I'm going by what he told me. 

But as a head coach he has made questionable decisions with the biggest hiring a first time OC and playcaller, which by itself isn't the worst idea but when combined with him being a first time HC his failure in Chicago, in retrospect, shouldn't be a surprise to me, now.

39 minutes ago, BeaReylo said:

Most of the free agent money was spent on the defense and one of my brothers is a Colts fan and from what he told me Eberflus supposedly didn't have the best of talent while coaching there (especially at pass rush) but managed to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers.  But even then his defenses were mediocre.  Keep in mind I don't follow Indy and I'm going by what he told me. 

But as a head coach he has made questionable decisions with the biggest hiring a first time OC and playcaller, which by itself isn't the worst idea but when combined with him being a first time HC his failure in Chicago, in retrospect, shouldn't be a surprise to me, now.

The Bears hiring a defensive minded HC in a pivotal year for their franchise QB was already a red flag. Let alone a first time HC. Hindsight is 20/20 but the ideal play would have either been to hire a young offensive minded HC OR a experienced veteran HC who has been there before and knows how to bring in the right coordinators. The Bears did neither lol

The talent on the team has obviously been working against him since he was drafted (outside of Moore now) but watching the Bears play it feels like they just dont have the right combination between the HC/OC/QB. Square peg, round hole situation. You have seen Fields flash for games/stretches of great QB play, they desperately need a offensive mind in there who can maximize the talent and mold the offense around him.

Removing designed QB runs from the playbook this year should be a fireable offense as is and at this point, they need to actually work on trading him at the deadline while they can still get an asset for him and clear the deck for Williams.

• Like 1