Where does Eberflus rank on all time bad hires?

Slingin' Sammy

So my big issue is being adaptable. Eberflus can't do that. The DL is set up as an attacking one-gap in a 3-4 (is that on Poles or did Flubby misscout them?) . Most of them aren't stout enough to two-gap but aren't quick enough to be real 3T caliber passrushers, you have one real EDGE and he is a total liability vs the run, and the back up EDGE is a converted college WR. But what does he try to do? Rush 4. Problem is they get almost no pressure. QBs are as clean after the game as they were prior to it. But he refuses to adjust or blitz because he is scared of big plays. But um... you're giving up 35PPG. If you give up a few plays each game then nothing has changed, but with some blitzing the QB might get put on his butt some. 

The LBs need to be allowed to be aggressive. That is the one group of talented guys in the defense - Edmunds, Edwards, and Sanborn. 

Bears need to just move to a 3-4-lite scheme. Put Yannick as one EDGE (can call him an OLB, doesn't matter since his hand will still be in the dirt) in a 9-wide like SEA use to do with Irvin (and Robinson would best be used there too) and then bring your 3 LBs up. One needs to blitz from somewhere every play. You'll have 3 DL and Yannick on an EDGE, and I like the idea of Edmunds being on the outside where he could potentially read and blitz from the edge, but would be just find with Sanborn doing it. 

This defense doesn't have the DL to rush 4 with success and Eberflus needs to recognize that. You're not going to beat OLs with this talent, you have to scheme pressure. He can't or won't. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

I don’t know that he is entirely to blame considering that they traded Khalil Mack right after hiring him then traded Roquan Smith after the start of that season. 

Yep the Bears roster is abhorrent… They have zero DLine. Impossible to win in this league with no pass rush and they’ve totally ignored it and had a generational interior pass rusher in Jalen Carter. Poles has done a terrible job. He’s pushed zero of the right buttons and has neglected the DLine which is the most important position group debatably 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

So my big issue is being adaptable. Eberflus can't do that. The DL is set up as an attacking one-gap in a 3-4 (is that on Poles or did Flubby misscout them?) . Most of them aren't stout enough to two-gap but aren't quick enough to be real 3T caliber passrushers, you have one real EDGE and he is a total liability vs the run, and the back up EDGE is a converted college WR. But what does he try to do? Rush 4. Problem is they get almost no pressure. QBs are as clean after the game as they were prior to it. But he refuses to adjust or blitz because he is scared of big plays. But um... you're giving up 35PPG. If you give up a few plays each game then nothing has changed, but with some blitzing the QB might get put on his butt some. 

The LBs need to be allowed to be aggressive. That is the one group of talented guys in the defense - Edmunds, Edwards, and Sanborn. 

Bears need to just move to a 3-4-lite scheme. Put Yannick as one EDGE (can call him an OLB, doesn't matter since his hand will still be in the dirt) in a 9-wide like SEA use to do with Irvin (and Robinson would best be used there too) and then bring your 3 LBs up. One needs to blitz from somewhere every play. You'll have 3 DL and Yannick on an EDGE, and I like the idea of Edmunds being on the outside where he could potentially read and blitz from the edge, but would be just find with Sanborn doing it. 

This defense doesn't have the DL to rush 4 with success and Eberflus needs to recognize that. You're not going to beat OLs with this talent, you have to scheme pressure. He can't or won't. 

Ehhhhh “scheming pressure” begins with showing fronts that get your best pass rusher a chance to win a one-on-one. Reality is, the Bears do not have a single DLinemen who can win. If by “scheming pressure” you mean sending more then the OL can block, well then, good luck. That’s a terrible defensive philosophy to have and there’s next to no defensive system in the NFL that works like that. You can pull out those calls a few times a game but if you want that to be a frequently called play, you are going to be an awful defense unless you have ABSURD corner play which the Bears absolutely do not have. Eberflus is not good but Poles is the Bears main problem. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Yep the Bears roster is abhorrent… They have zero DLine. Impossible to win in this league with no pass rush and they’ve totally ignored it and had a generational interior pass rusher in Jalen Carter. Poles has done a terrible job. He’s pushed zero of the right buttons and has neglected the DLine which is the most important position group debatably 

Fwiw, had poles taken Carter instead of wright, and the season plays out they way it currently is, people would be crucifying Poles saying that he ignored the OL to take a DL.   He made a move to build around his QB.  It’s hard to blame him for that without the benefit of hindsight.  

And Carter wasn’t the cleanest prospect ever either.  Would he be looking as good with his supporting cast on this current bears team?

Dont get me wrong, i would have been stoked if he took Carter at 9. Every time i see Carter do something awesome i cringe a little bit.  But i understand poles’s decision to take weight over Carter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Fwiw, had poles taken Carter instead of wright, and the season plays out they way it currently is, people would be crucifying Poles saying that he ignored the OL to take a DL.   He made a move to build around his QB.  It’s hard to blame him for that without the benefit of hindsight.  

And Carter wasn’t the cleanest prospect ever either.  Would he be looking as good with his supporting cast on this current bears team?

Dont get me wrong, i would have been stoked if he took Carter at 9. Every time i see Carter do something awesome i cringe a little bit.  But i understand poles’s decision to take weight over Carter.

That’s fair… how has Wright played so far? I just don’t know how the bears didn’t improve their DLine like at all. Its just so hard to play defense when guys can’t win up front 

1 minute ago, Wentz you dog you said:

That’s fair… how has Wright played so far? I just don’t know how the bears didn’t improve their DLine like at all. Its just so hard to play defense when guys can’t win up front 

He’s been fine as far as i can tell.  I haven’t heard his name much, which for an OL is usually pretty good.  I didn’t watch any of the chiefs game though, and I’m no scout by any means, so don’t take my word for it,

And the bears had so many holes poles would never be able to fill them all.  However, he did sign Demarcus walker and spent 2nd and 3rd round draft picks on DTs.  Projects, but DL no less.

I understand the criticism of Poles though.  To be quite honest, i don’t know where i stand on him.  When i hear him talk i feel like he’s got a long term plan, he’s intelligent, etc.  But then i see who he hired as his HC, i see the claypool trade, etc.  

I don’t miss Nagy but I recognize that Nagy was less worthless. Trestman too. I didn’t think the bears could do it but to me Eberflus is the worst coach I’ve ever seen. I hope he’s only allowed to coach JV football after he gets fired 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I don’t miss Nagy but I recognize that Nagy was less worthless. Trestman too. I didn’t think the bears could do it but to me Eberflus is the worst coach I’ve ever seen. I hope he’s only allowed to coach JV football after he gets fired 

Nagy got the luxury of Fangio and a ton of talent to prop him up. But true, he might be less worthless than Flubby.