Where does Eberflus rank on all time bad hires?

Slingin' Sammy

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This kind of becomes a chicken and the egg kind of argument though, doesn't it? Part of the coaching staff's responsibility is to develop talent and put it in the best possible situation to succeed. While the Bears don't look very talented, how much of that is the coaching? Darnell Mooney was a 1000 yard receiver under Matt Nagy with rookie Justin Fields. Khalil Herbert and Cole Kmet look so much worse than they did last year. Justin Fields as well. Actually basically every offensive skill position guy has looked worse year over year, because it isn't like D.J. Moore or D'Onta Foreman are doing anything. Cody Whitehair and Darnell Wright are talented linemen. Nate Davis was pretty good for Tennessee. The defense has fewer pieces, IMO, but is supposed to be his specialty, and only looks worse than it did last year, after it was worse last year than it was in 2021.

It's not a great roster, but when you have players playing worse once they join Chicago, players and units playing worse after Eberflus's arrival, and players taking visible steps backwards year over year, that's bad coaching. It's the opposite of how we see a guy like J.C. Jackson just tank when he leaves the Pats. And we've seen good coaches at least make something competitive out of bad rosters. It's one thing if they were going 5-12 and are competitive more often than not. But right now they're getting handled consistently and it's hard to find more than a win or two on the schedule for them right now.

Totally fair. Like I said, I'm speaking out of ignorance as I haven't watched much of the Bears (why would I?). I just feel like as an outsider looking in, it's hard to truly judge him.

I'm sure he'll be gone after this year anyway so it won't matter. They need to get rid of Poles too, though.

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This kind of becomes a chicken and the egg kind of argument though, doesn't it? Part of the coaching staff's responsibility is to develop talent and put it in the best possible situation to succeed. While the Bears don't look very talented, how much of that is the coaching? Darnell Mooney was a 1000 yard receiver under Matt Nagy with rookie Justin Fields. Khalil Herbert and Cole Kmet look so much worse than they did last year. Justin Fields as well. Actually basically every offensive skill position guy has looked worse year over year, because it isn't like D.J. Moore or D'Onta Foreman are doing anything. Cody Whitehair and Darnell Wright are talented linemen. Nate Davis was pretty good for Tennessee. The defense has fewer pieces, IMO, but is supposed to be his specialty, and only looks worse than it did last year, after it was worse last year than it was in 2021.

It's not a great roster, but when you have players playing worse once they join Chicago, players and units playing worse after Eberflus's arrival, and players taking visible steps backwards year over year, that's bad coaching. It's the opposite of how we see a guy like J.C. Jackson just tank when he leaves the Pats. And we've seen good coaches at least make something competitive out of bad rosters. It's one thing if they were going 5-12 and are competitive more often than not. But right now they're getting handled consistently and it's hard to find more than a win or two on the schedule for them right now.

Jak is right. Eberflus isn't developing what he has, and he had a chance to spend a ton of money this past offseason. What did he do with it?

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

Nagy had one. Reid definitely would.

Nagy had one because of Vic Fangio coaching prime Khalil Mack + Roquan Smith. I don't think there is anyone near that quality on the current Bears. The Bears have some pieces at DB, but that's not a talented team and probably benefits from bottoming out. They need to draft well for a couple years, or have Fields take a massive leap.

20 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Oh, agreed. That's who Carolina shoulda drafted.

I thought very highly of Stroud, but the Panthers made the right choice imo. It's going to take a 5'10" QB who isn't an elite athlete some time to adjust. But I fully believe Young will prove he was the right pick in time.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Nagy had one. Reid definitely would.

People can call me delusional, but Justin Fields would look like a totally different QB if he was playing for Andy Reid, Sean McVay, or Kyle Shanahan. The guy has his flaws, but there are coaches who could get much more out of him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Nagy had one because of Vic Fangio coaching prime Khalil Mack + Roquan Smith. I don't think there is anyone near that quality on the current Bears. The Bears have some pieces at DB, but that's not a talented team and probably benefits from bottoming out. They need to draft well for a couple years, or have Fields take a massive leap.

All I know is we were a trash franchise when Reid showed up. Coaching is consistently underrated in how people view NFL teams. Every player on roster is going to magically seem more competent with genuinely good coaching.

• Like 1