Player Development throughout the 2024 Season

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's actually Zach Wilson now... but...

I've never seen a guy lose his starting job and be *reluctant* to return.

This... this is unheard of, wow.

Actually... our very own Brock Lobster:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/week-17-altercation-was-last-straw-for-texans-and-osweiler?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=6874620&utm_source=TW %40SNFonNBC&utm_tags=srm[football]

Remember this?

I wonder what the scope is on Brandon Hill. I know he was a 7th round draft pick, but he was drafted and has been on the practice squad all season yet hasn't gotten the call up to play at all this year. Is he that bad? its not like we haven't been scraping the bottom of the barrel in the secondary all season. I guess the guys we have turned to have been multi years vets, so perhaps that has something to do with it. Just seems odd that he's the only draft pick that we haven't given a chance to play this year. The rest of the class has all done really well except for Hutchinson, but he's played some and has 2 catches and 4 rushes as our 6th WR. 

I mean its no big loss if the guy cant play in the league, you try and get practice squad/Special Teamers in round 7 anyway. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

one priority this off season is going to be to get Shaq Mason on a diet. 

I feel like the whole OL might need reworking.. which sucks because most of them are locked in under contract.

I wonder if we could, or would consider trading Tunsil. I feel like it's really not that much better than like, plugging in Josh Jones over there would be, at least right now. Maybe it's just the injury..

Also, Howard doesn't seem like he's worth the money with George Fant basically taking his job over. I feel like the performance from the mostly backups OL against the Steelers was one of, if not the best OL performances we've seen all year. 

Maybe we can trade some of those pieces and ditch those contracts. 

The #1 need right now though, in my opinion, is running back. A good running back would make that line look a lot better at run blocking, and probably pass protecting too just by virtue of forcing them to stay disciplined and respect the PA fakes. I don't think things would be happening this way if we had like Bijan Robinson or someone like that. I don't think Stroud would be leading the league in passing yards either, I think that stat is inflated just because we suck at running, and I hope it's not that high of a number next year. I'm hoping we're a lot more balanced, and I think RB is a quick way to get that done. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Davis Mills could potentially make some money Sunday and net us a draft pick if he performs well. Should be interesting to see. 

I'm actually kind of excited to see him play in this system. I was always a "Davis Mills Truther." I feel like he's got all the tools to be a quality starting QB, good pocket presence, above average mobility, spurts of incredible accuracy and touch (would like to see that be a little more consistent, but even Stroud hasn't been entirely consistent in this area and he's one of the best in the biz). If he plays well without our top 3 weapons (Dell, Collins, Schultz), I think that speaks volumes, and I think we'd be wise to keep him around barring some kind of over the top offer, like a 2nd and a 4th or something.

I will say this: Derek Stingley is the real deal and worthy of that number 3 pick, when he plays. If he can stay healthy, then we have a lock down CB for the foreseeable future. 

Pitre has played worse this season than he did his rookie year. I have been very underwhelmed by him. 

Juice is playing out of position and its been pretty bad. We have to get the guard situation figured out moving forward. 

Xavier Hutchinson playing more snaps than Metchie is very telling. I am not sure if Metchie can ever get back to the level he was drafted to play at, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I am not sure if Metchie can ever get back to the level he was drafted to play at, 

After seeing Collins break out the way he has, I still have faith that Metchie will eventually get himself back into shape and be a great player for us. He was so damned good in college, just a really good complete football player with no real weaknesses in his game. I still think that was a great pick

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

After seeing Collins break out the way he has, I still have faith that Metchie will eventually get himself back into shape and be a great player for us. He was so damned good in college, just a really good complete football player with no real weaknesses in his game. I still think that was a great pick

I'm with you on this one. This year was all about conditioning for him and getting used to game speed again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Passer rating is heavily impacted by INTs so Stingley have 5 to 0 advantage would create the difference in passer rating allowed. I am going to say that Sauce doesnt get the ints because teams are so scared of him. Also Stingley has missed 14 games in 2 seasons to Sauces 1 missed game. So I am still giving the huge lead to Sauce. PFF has Stingley at an 81.1 Sauce is at an 85....as for which was the correct pick, its hard to say considering that no one knew Sauce would be this good a CB this early on. A lot of it could be from coaching. Stingley wasnt nearly this good under the previous staff. Who knows how good sauce would be under the last staff. 

SO I think we need to stop trying to compare stingley to Sauce who is possibly the best CB in the league, and just look at Stingley alone. 

Stingley has been extremely good this year. 81.1 is a fantasic PFF rating. 5 ints in 9 games is a game changer.  He was a really good pick up, probably a little high at 3, but if he mans the CB position for 10 years at the level he has played at this season, it really doesnt matter where he was drafted. Health and Durability are going to be the key to whether or not Stingley becomes a bust. If he plays 9-11 games per season, thats not good enough. We need to have him for 15 or more every year. 

on another note, I saw this interesting article the other day about our trade with the browns. We have been very active trading the picks that we got from the browns in that deal. 

Here are the players the Texans landed in the Watson deal after their draft trades so far: 

Kenyon Green

John Metchie III

Christian Harris

Dameon Pierce

Thomas Booker

Will Anderson

Tank Dell

Brandon Hill

Xavier Hutchinson

2024 first-round pick

2024 third-round pick

obviously some of those have been paired with our own picks, but it made it possible to get all those guys on the roster. We might not have CJ Stroud right now if not for the browns pick, because I am convinced that Ryans and Caserio wanted Anderson jr and Mcnair said we had to take a QB.