2023 Stat Watch

Pastor Dillon

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Will Anderson Jr. plays with a lot of motor normally but he's not been the same guy the last couple weeks. I don't know if he's battling an injury or if the pro game is just catching up to him. I hate to say this because its so early, but he reminds me of Jadaveon Clowney. That guy would show up 4-5 games a year and be an all pro player, and then be completely invisible the other 12 games.

What I think you're missing on this is that rookies struggle to finish and find sacks their rookie years. JJ Watt had 5.5 sacks his rookie year before exploding for 20.5 sacks. TJ Watt? 7 sacks. Myles Garrett? 7 sacks. Nick Bosa? 9 sacks. The fact that Will is getting there is great and this will turn into actual sacks sooner rather than later. Also, comparing WAJ to Clowney is a joke. There are zero questions about WAJ's work ethic versus this was the main concern with Clowney. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 6:48 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

Pass rush win rate is not a good stat. It only looks at did you beat the guy trying to block you and it doesn’t take into account whether or not you actually put pressure on the QB, got a sack, QB hit or anything like that. 

And what about the other three stats listed in the tweet? I'm starting to think you just don't like WAJ regardless of what he does. 

• Like 2

Updated Stat check:

CJ Stroud 1,660 yards 9 TD 1 Int (4th in the league in passing yards)

Nico Collins 29 Catches 547 yards 3 TDs (8th in receiving yards)

Peirce 281 yards 1 TD (23rd in rushing yards)

Greenard 3.5 sacks (29th in the league)

Stephen Nelson 3 INTs (1st in the league) 

Team Stats

OFFENSE
9th Total Yards
7th in Passing Yards
24th in Rushing Yards
14th in Points Per Game

DEFENSE
23rd Total Yards
24th in Passing Yards
16th in Rushing Yards
9th in Points Per Game

5th in Turnover Differential 

So all these things add up to a team that could be 4-2 or better. 

Our defense cant stop a high school team outside the redzone, but we are pretty good at stopping them inside of it. We don't commit very many turnovers on offense, in fact we are 2nd in the league in giveaways. 

Some of these things are worrisome because they are not sustainable. Teams that are consistently giving up over 400 yards, like we have done several times
430 yards against the Saints and just 13 points
447 yards against the Falcons and just 21 points
404 yards against the Jags and just 17 points

Those things are not sustainable over the long haul, and as we saw with the falcons, bend but dont break will not stop a team from kicking a game winning FG. 

I am not complaining, just stating facts, that we dont have enough on our defense this year. Perhaps when Christian Harris and Stingley are back and we are at 100% over there, then we will be fine, but I think we need to add more talent on the defensive side of the ball in the 2024 draft. I would try and add a vet WR like a Mike Evans and then use our draft in the secondary and along the Defensive line. I like our young linebackers, unless bama as a 3rd guy we can add.  

9 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

And what about the other three stats listed in the tweet? I'm starting to think you just don't like WAJ regardless of what he does. 

double team rate has nothing to do with Anderson and everything to do with the offensive scheme. He has been solid against the Run. 

I do not dislike WAJ. What I want to know is why he has fallen into the 60%s of snaps played. We gave up the house for him, cost us potentially a nice draft pick, and it can be 4th quarter, game on the line and hes standing on the sidelines 1/2 the drive. Why are we not putting him in there? there has to be a reason and its concerning

is he tired?
Are these guys we have on the roster a better option?
What are the coaches seeing in practice that we dont know?
Is he dealing with an Injury we dont know about?

These are the questions I have, I want WAJ to become a stud, but I am still burned by the memory of Clowney. 

14 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

double team rate has nothing to do with Anderson and everything to do with the offensive scheme. He has been solid against the Run. 

I do not dislike WAJ. What I want to know is why he has fallen into the 60%s of snaps played. We gave up the house for him, cost us potentially a nice draft pick, and it can be 4th quarter, game on the line and hes standing on the sidelines 1/2 the drive. Why are we not putting him in there? there has to be a reason and its concerning

is he tired?
Are these guys we have on the roster a better option?
What are the coaches seeing in practice that we dont know?
Is he dealing with an Injury we dont know about?

These are the questions I have, I want WAJ to become a stud, but I am still burned by the memory of Clowney. 

Greenard has played 68% of the snaps through 5 games,

WAJ is at 66%

Edge guys get rotated. Fresher legs from Hughes and Horton are better than tired legs of Greenard and WAJ.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Greenard has played 68% of the snaps through 5 games,

WAJ is at 66%

Edge guys get rotated. Fresher legs from Hughes and Horton are better than tired legs of Greenard and WAJ.

I get all of that, but i want to know why during the last drive of the 4th quarter, WAJ was not out there for the majority of the plays. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

yep-yup.gif

1. Why wouldnt any of us be skeptical of him?

2. What has he ever done to prove himself to where we can't question things?

3. This could be a coaching issue that has nothing to do with him.

4. There were legit concerns that he might not be DE in a 4-3 defense, that he might be an OLB in a 3-4

5. He could be playing through an injury. 

34 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

1. Why wouldnt any of us be skeptical of him?

2. What has he ever done to prove himself to where we can't question things?

3. This could be a coaching issue that has nothing to do with him.

4. There were legit concerns that he might not be DE in a 4-3 defense, that he might be an OLB in a 3-4

5. He could be playing through an injury. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Y’all keep throwing out these stats, great, but answer the question. Why is Greenard playing more?

WAJ has played more snaps than Greenard this season and played 6 more snaps than Greenard this past week. In fact, he's played the most snaps of anyone on the defensive line and the 4th most of anyone on defense. His grade on PFF is 2nd best on the defense (Cashman is currently the #1 LB in the entire NFL). WAJ is also ranked 19th out of all edge rushers in the NFL. Even though the sack numbers aren't there yet, WAJ has been a productive player on defense and is only a rookie. Again, the amount of hate you're giving him is odd and unjustified. 

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 3