Is Deshaun Watson.. load managing?

General Tso

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

You still have not given me one legitimate reason he would quit after having his best performance with the team being 2-1 after week 3. You know how ridiculous it sounds that he would want to quit after week 3? Is he trying to get traded? What could the reason be that he bails after his Titans performance? 

Did he have a legitimate reason to quit the Texans when he did? His trade demands were a full year after the DeAndre Hopkins trade and his demands were after Bill O'Brien was relieved of his duties, so he was in position to lead a new regime - but he chose to quit.

Why?

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

We've seen Watson play immediately after getting kicked in the eye by a defender, we've seen him take a bus from Houston to Jacksonville because his lungs were so bruised he couldn't fly on a plane because the pressure could lead to life threatening complications, we've seen him take an absolute beating with Houston, yet the only games he missed were his rookie season following a torn ACL - which he ironically played of for about three quarters. (This all happened on his rookie/non guaranteed contract, mind you).

So - this particular action is so far removed from what we know about this player. If you're NOT questioning it, you're not paying attention to this particular player.

You actually proved my point....This man has played through some ish and toughed it out. So if he can't go, what does that say to you? What is his agenda to not wanting to play now? What made him wake up after his best performance after his team went 2-1 and say it is now time to quit? Listen to what the hell you guys are even saying now.

It's cool, you hate the man and there is good reason for that. But fans questioning athletes toughness is always funny to me. Stop always going off of what team doctors and teams want you to believe.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Did he have a legitimate reason to quit the Texans when he did? His trade demands were a full year after the DeAndre Hopkins trade and his demands were after Bill O'Brien was relieved of his duties, so he was in position to lead a new regime - but he chose to quit.

Why?

I mean he demanded a trade for the same reason fans for calling for him to get the hell out of Houston. Don't act like the franchise was not a complete sh*t show. 

Are you saying he believes Cleveland is the same way and he's trying to get out? 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I have. You either ignored them or have a different opinion, which is fine.

To be fair organizations like the Ravens and 49ers have a long track record of destroying players' seasons or even careers because of horrible medical advise. Watson may be a different case but I tend to side with players on this sort of thing as well.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You actually proved my point....This man has played through some ish and toughed it out. So if he can't go, what does that say to you?

It tells me he got paid and he doesn't WANT to tough it out. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What is his agenda to not wanting to play now?

His fully guaranteed contract dictates he doesn't need to play.

What made him wake up after his best performance after his team went 2-1 and say it is now time to quit?

Because his "best performance" is still mediocre when compared to the rest of the QBs in the NFL, and people are calling that out. He's being paid as a top guy and his best days look like a best day for a mid range QB - you paid for waygu ribeye and you got a burger; I don't really care how good the burger is, I ordered a $600 steak. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Are you saying he believes Cleveland is the same way and he's trying to get out? 

That's part of it, sure.

Tell me what's going right with Cleveland right now. Tell me what a future looks like where Watson is counting close to 1/4th the cap, no FRPs until 2025, Nick Chubb coming off a devastating knee injury and everyone else playing under their pay grade. The only guy performing is Myles Garrett - and he's been performing since he got there and Cleveland was (and is) STILL a mess of a franchise.

He's either trying to quit or trying to get people fired. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, General Tso said:

I have no idea what's going. He might actually be injured, but it just seems like the whole thing is more mysterious than it needs to be.

Browns fans would make good spies with the amount of torture they endure.

When your contract is 100% guaranteed, what incentive is there to play? One would hope the love of the game would kick in, but....

Is he going to be the poster child for those of us who never want to see fully guaranteed contracts become the norm in the NFL? It's already hurt the NBA.

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

It tells me he got paid and he doesn't WANT to tough it out. 

His fully guaranteed contract dictates he doesn't need to play.

Because his "best performance" is still mediocre when compared to the rest of the QBs in the NFL, and people are calling that out. He's being paid as a top guy and his best days look like a best day for a mid range QB - you paid for waygu ribeye and you got a burger; I don't really care how good the burger is, I ordered a $600 steak. 

Oh, so that is what it tells you? And it doesn't tell you that he realized all the times he risked his health may not have been worth it in hindsight? Watson was going to get paid regardless of him playing or not playing with a collapsed lung. He also really could not feel right and knows if his rotator cuff/shoulder go, he is DONE. Don't be silly here.

So are you saying he does not want to play football any longer and he wants to just collect paychecks? 

This has to be most hilarious argument of all time 😂. I feel like I am mediocre and a shell of myself so I don't want to go out on the field any longer since I am so embarrassed!!!! I will never step foot on a field any more so my legacy stays in tact!!!!! 

That he quit because he was going up against a legitimate opponent? Is THAT the reason you are going with here? Just trying to be clear.....

No

I posted it page 1 with a running list of reasons. His teammates and coaching staff seem to agree that it’s a surprise he chose not to play. It was Watson’s choice and he also bailed on an interview, clearly ducking questions.

He also chose not to get a second opinion from an independent doctor over a bye week.

He is making choices, and that’s his prerogative, just like it’s mine and the reporters that he ducked yesterday to get clarification and question why. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

That's part of it, sure.

Tell me what's going right with Cleveland right now. Tell me what a future looks like where Watson is counting close to 1/4th the cap, no FRPs until 2025, Nick Chubb coming off a devastating knee injury and everyone else playing under their pay grade.

He's either trying to quit or trying to get people fired. 

Okay, so say you believe he is trying to demand a trade or get people fired. Don't come with silly arguments saying that his best performance is still mediocre and he feels embarrassed to be on the field. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

To be fair organizations like the Ravens and 49ers have a long track record of destroying players' seasons or even careers because of horrible medical advise. Watson may be a different case but I tend to side with players on this sort of thing as well.

He could get or have gotten a second opinion from an independent doctor and didn’t. I’m fine siding with players when they do their due diligence. He has not and ergo doesn’t warrant my benefit of the doubt.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

No

I posted it page 1 with a running list of reasons. His teammates and coaching staff seem to agree that it’s a surprise he chose not to play. It was Watson’s choice and he also bailed on an interview, clearly ducking questions.

He also chose not to get a second opinion from an independent doctor over a bye week.

He is making choices, and that’s his prerogative, just like it’s mine and the reporters that he ducked yesterday to get clarification and question why. 

Except I did not see a reason on the first page aside from you saying he has no incentive to play because of his guaranteed deal. I mean is he not going to play for the next four years or so until his deal is up? 

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Tell me what's going right with Cleveland right now. Tell me what a future looks like where Watson is counting close to 1/4th the cap, no FRPs until 2025, Nick Chubb coming off a devastating knee injury and everyone else playing under their pay grade. The only guy performing is Myles Garrett - and he's been performing since he got there and Cleveland was (and is) STILL a mess of a franchise.

I’d personally argue that Denzel Ward, Grant Delpit, and Martin Emerson are all playing at legitimate Pro Bowl levels this year, as has Joel Bitonio. Amari Cooper has also been solid.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He was medically cleared and chose not to play.

He bailed on an interview yesterday.

Those are facts and warrant reasonable skepticism, especially given his past antics elsewhere and here. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Watson didn’t practice Monday through Wednesday with an ouchie on his shoulder. Who ever could have predicted that a guy who quit on his former Houston team, has been enabled with zero accountability, only came here for the paycheck, and then quit moments before the game last weekend despite being medically cleared would probably bail again going against a legitimate opponent?

Not sure what’s being lost in translation here