Gameday!

Beck Bristow

Got to watch most of the second half.  Our play calling seems very disjointed.  I had been chalking it up to protecting Burrow coming off the calf injury, but Burrow is looking more and more spry week by week so maybe it's more than that.  Of course, Burrow did try to push the ball downfield more this week with mixed results, so perhaps they are still protecting him with cause.

Defense balled out though.  CTB with a pick for the 2nd straight game, and he was the one we'd match up with 1 on 1 with DK on the outside.   DJ Turner looks better and better every week as well.  Biggest issue we have is DL depth, none of them outside of the starters seem to be doing much with the possible exception of Cam Sample.  Carter and Ossai in particular have been disappointments through the first 6 weeks.  Too soon to write off Murphy, but he hasn't exactly come out of the gates swinging.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference was between the first two drives and the rest of the game, but Burrow was missing quite a bit, then Tee and Mixon has a few key drops. Pass rush was getting home on us a lot more as well, don't know if that is all Orlando Brown coming out or if there's more. Glad the defense made the plays when it mattered and we held on.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:49 AM, THE DUKE said:

Got to watch most of the second half.  Our play calling seems very disjointed.  I had been chalking it up to protecting Burrow coming off the calf injury, but Burrow is looking more and more spry week by week so maybe it's more than that.  Of course, Burrow did try to push the ball downfield more this week with mixed results, so perhaps they are still protecting him with cause.

each drive after the first two featured at least one critical mistake that ended the drive, and each mistake was different.  i rewatched the game, and much of the offensive structure was very similar to those first two drives.  the key difference was execution.  

missed throws
missed blocks
penalties
dropped balls
joe feeling phantom pressure and bailing on the play

i didn't feel like joe played a very good game if i'm being honest.  on rewatch, he had some good looks on good play design that he just bailed out of almost instantly.  he needs to recognize that he has the right look for the play, and make something happen.  even it means a messy pocket.