Reports are saying Steelers to claim Darius Rush and release Desmond King.... ??

JustPlainNasty

Man, this one is a bit strange. I wonder what the deal is with King?
I was sure he was a great signing for the slot. I will say, I really liked
D.Rush coming out of South Carolina, but he's been a disappointment. 
Seems like it's poor prep and biting on double moves?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I just went back and watched the Colts All-22 from the preseason for all 3 games.

He played the 2nd half against Buffalo. He got held on a WR hitch/screen. The WR tipped the ball and he snagged it and returned for a pick 6. 

He played some special teams , nothing really note worthy. 

He was later beat in the Red Zone on a post to corner fade route. He got caught peaking back and lost his guy Dezmon Patton..and never recovered TD.

Against the Bears he got beat a stop and go outside and trailed by 5 yards. He made up ground but just in time to get his hands on the WR Daurice Fountain as he caught his 35 yd TD in the EZ. 

I didnt see him on the field in game 3 vs the Eagles. Not a good sign at all. 

My quick observations

He looked heavy / flat footed. Played on his heels rather than his toes. He just kind of looked sluggish most of the time. He never really looked lost so much, just kind of sluggish, lax / lethargic or maybe a little timid not aggressive. Everything looked reactive instead of anticipatory. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

This article may shed light on the reason for how he looked during the preseason.  Hamstring early and a hip injury in Bears game I guess kept him out of the 3rd game vs the Eagles.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/8/29/23851595/colts-rookie-5th-round-cornerback-darius-rush-surprise-cut-for-final-53-man-roster

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

I posted elsewhere but this is Desmond King the last few years:

2022 - 62% catch rate allowed, 102.1 passer rating allowed on 50 targets

2021 - 67.6% catch rate allowed, 100.5 passer rating allowed on 71 targets

2020 - 65.2% catch rate allowed, 96.1 passer rating allowed on 69 targets

2019 - 71.9% catch rate allowed, 126.8 passer rating allowed on 64 targets

I really do feel like that he was more here as a KR than CB because his run defense has been just ok over the last few years.  I think he should have been tried a bit more over Sullivan, but NCB is a spot I feel the offseason did come up short.

• Like 3

It definitely did. The position has too great a value today to try to patchwork like we did. The position needed to be a strong consideration around the 3rd and 4th rounds BUT I wont dog them because they got the other positions & players that addressed both value and need for this team in TE and Nick Herbig in the 4th. Now only if we'd better utilize them to get as much value out of them. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mwalker said:

why not release or trade Sullivan or other players instead of King?

6 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Now only if we'd better utilize them to get as much value out of them. 

thats this regime though. Players get wasted to a degree and then others are not in ideal scheme,  among other things. I am still holding on to the idea that they will get these players going by seasons end. For now, expect more of the usual sub par play and decisions.  It's lousy for us loyal fans during the season, but thats what we have to get used to until there are major changes. 

13 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

He looked heavy / flat footed. Played on his heels rather than his toes. He just kind of looked sluggish most of the time. He never really looked lost so much, just kind of sluggish, lax / lethargic or maybe a little timid not aggressive. Everything looked reactive instead of anticipatory. 

some raiders fans say the same thing about their RD1 pick :ph34r:

See what happens here with Rush, I am still shocked they are giving up on King that soon

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

some raiders fans say the same thing about their RD1 pick :ph34r:

See what happens here with Rush, I am still shocked they are giving up on King that soon

Tyree Wilson is coming off season ending foot surgery. Hes 6'6 275 lbs. I dont care whatever bs people want to try to believe, if you are a 180 lb man you will struggle to get back to normal for some time when you have foot / ankle issues. When it requires surgery its likely longer. Talk to me next year when it comes to Wilson, but Id be willing to bet you'll see him start to show more towards the middle / end of November.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Tyree Wilson is coming off season ending foot surgery. Hes 6'6 275 lbs. I dont care whatever bs people want to try to believe, if you are a 180 lb man you will struggle to get back to normal for some time when you have foot / ankle issues. When it requires surgery its likely longer. Talk to me next year when it comes to Wilson, but Id be willing to bet you'll see him start to show more towards the middle / end of November.

we will see, maybe wilson gets going. Slow off the snap never helps the passrush though. 

what do you think Rush will do here?    

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

we will see, maybe wilson gets going. Slow off the snap never helps the passrush though. 

what do you think Rush will do here?    

Slow off the snap is not what his college tape shows, not inside anyway.  Line him up in a 3 or 4 pt stance inside, that is where I saw him excel and Id bet he will makes serious waves in this league. 

Rush...its kind of perplexing. You pick up a guy from another practice squad and he has to be on your 53 man roster. We don't play our own rookies who are ready to go and now were keeping a rookie who didnt make the cut of two teams and saying hes one of our top 53. Its kind of like carrying a 3rd qb..so our roster is essentially a 51 man roster now? 

A team cannot sign a player from another Practice Squad directly to its own Practice Squad. If a player is signed to another team's 53-man roster, he is entitled to be paid the applicable minimum salary for a minimum of three weeks of service on the 53-man rosters, even if he is released before the three weeks is up.

I don't hate the pick up, just really question the pick up with this coach's/teams obvious hesitancy to play rookies. If we release and then try to put on our practice squad, are we just taking some kind of musical chair gamble with this kids life ? I guess TBD.

King clearly wasn't gonna play. Why? Because he isn't the right level of mediocre for Tomlin. Levi Wallace gives all receivers 100+ yards a game and a 15 yard cushion consistently. Sullivan couldn't cover if he was wrapped in blankets. Gunner O has oily hands and butter arms. This is the kind of mediocrity Tomlin demands on his team.

Darius Rush? If he sees the field at all, it'll be exclusively ST.

15 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

King clearly wasn't gonna play. Why? Because he isn't the right level of mediocre for Tomlin. Levi Wallace gives all receivers 100+ yards a game and a 15 yard cushion consistently. Sullivan couldn't cover if he was wrapped in blankets. Gunner O has oily hands and butter arms. This is the kind of mediocrity Tomlin demands on his team.

Darius Rush? If he sees the field at all, it'll be exclusively ST.

Rush is a gunner on ST, but can he return and replace gunner  since we cut him?

I'm curious to see how this will play out. Rush has great athleticism & size and has good mirror ability as well so he's a solid outside cornerback option. My concern is how soon can we get him out on the field to see what he's about. I know the coaches are seeing him in practice so they have a better feel for he brings to the table but if he's like Senior bowl Darius Rush then we could possibly have a steal.

• 2 weeks later...