Week 7 thoughts

JMG5

I'm not sure if Carr is the problem, part of the problem, or just trying to work with what he's got.  Olave seeming to not be on the same page as Carr is troubling, Carr not having time due to the OL failing is troubling, and the playcalling is definitely troubling.

Thankfully we have our 1st round pick this year and there are quite a few good QB options coming out if we decide to look for one higher in the draft with guys like Ewers, Penix, and Maye fighting for the #2-4 QB selected spots which should have one of them moving the mid-late 1st.   

If we decide to go elsewhere, it will 100% be OL.  Penning has the tools but has been struggling in space as a pass protector.  Let him move to OG so he can play in a smaller space and be able to use his athleticism when pulling and get a new LT.

Bresee looks great so far and the two FA signings have been great too so the IDL seems good.  Granderson has really come on and Jordan has some in the tank but he's starting to slow down.  Hopefully Foskey or Turner can pick it up and be a replacement for Jordan across from Granderson, if not there are a few good options at DE in the draft as well.

At LBer Davis is still good but isn't quite as dominant as he has been, while Werner has become a bit inconsistent recently in my eyes.

Lattimore is still a beast, Taylor and Adebo both seem good but have been injury prone, 4th CB and back are just trash.

Maye is meh and Honey Badger is likely going to need a replacement soon too so safety is going to need to be addressed sooner than later.

Really like what we've seen from our rookie RB when he's been able to see the field.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:27 AM, JMG5 said:

I think its unlikely they fire DA this season no matter what happens. They'll likely give him another year with Carr and a new OC and cut ties with everyone the following season once the experiment fails again.

My favorite part of your post: "And a new OC"

On 10/21/2023 at 7:45 PM, Tank4Drake said:

We all tried to warn you. 

Well you're not warning us, we don't call the plays. So congrats, you can pin your victory on the fridge next to some kids crayon drawings.

We're called fans, not pessimists. We're always going to look for a bright light, somewhere.

But hey, at least we didn't lose to the Bears with their rookie QB at the helm.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JMG5 said:

It'll be someone from our current staff.

I'm hoping that we go outside of our current staff.  I think that Bill O'Brien might be looking for a new job after this year as Bellichek is probably going to step down as the HC into a different role in the organization.  He's not a good HC but he's had success as an OC both in the collegiate and NFL games, and having former HC experience could probably help DA out with managing the load letting him focus more on the defensive side of the ball.

I mean who would we even promote from out current staff to be the OC?  All of our good offensive assistants have left in the past few years like Joe Brady etc.

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Please, no. I'm pretty over the "wash, rinse, and repeat" bs.

DA is spineless. I can't see him mixing things up too much even if his job is on the line. He'll want to keep Carr in the same system.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raves said:

I'm hoping that we go outside of our current staff.  I think that Bill O'Brien might be looking for a new job after this year as Bellichek is probably going to step down as the HC into a different role in the organization.  He's not a good HC but he's had success as an OC both in the collegiate and NFL games, and having former HC experience could probably help DA out with managing the load letting him focus more on the defensive side of the ball.

I mean who would we even promote from out current staff to be the OC?  All of our good offensive assistants have left in the past few years like Joe Brady etc.

1. I would like to outside of our current staff as well. Anyone from the creative offenses in the league like SF, Miami, etc. Bill isn't someone I would want us to look at. Hard pass on him.

2. They speak highly of Ronald Curry.

7 hours ago, JMG5 said:

2. They speak highly of Ronald Curry.

My issue with Curry is that he's our current passing game coordinator and QB's coach. Until the 2nd half of last Thursday's game, we've struggled with both of those things.

Maybe I'm just too impatient? Maybe our O-line is struggling too much? Heck, I don't know... I just don't know... but it seems our systems or personnel or both aren't working.

Of course I didn't care for Aaron Glenn as our D-backs coach, and now he's doing really well with Detroit as their DC, so maybe he was just in the wrong role. Maybe Curry should be in a different role, like OC?

• Like 2

On 10/24/2023 at 9:22 PM, Mid Iowa said:

My issue with Curry is that he's our current passing game coordinator and QB's coach. Until the 2nd half of last Thursday's game, we've struggled with both of those things.

Maybe I'm just too impatient? Maybe our O-line is struggling too much? Heck, I don't know... I just don't know... but it seems our systems or personnel or both aren't working.

Of course I didn't care for Aaron Glenn as our D-backs coach, and now he's doing really well with Detroit as their DC, so maybe he was just in the wrong role. Maybe Curry should be in a different role, like OC?

It's a crapshoot to be honest.  It could sometimes be as simple as personalities that don't mesh.  A message gets stale, a random incident happens to cause a divide, who knows.  

I know fans love to call out coaches for having no idea what they're doing, but it's probably rare that it's actually the case.  There's also strong tendency to give players the benefit of the doubt over coaches, especially players that have had success under different coaches.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's a crapshoot to be honest.  It could sometimes be as simple as personalities that don't mesh.  A message gets stale, a random incident happens to cause a divide, who knows.  

I know fans love to call out coaches for having no idea what they're doing, but it's probably rare that it's actually the case.  There's also strong tendency to give players the benefit of the doubt over coaches, especially players that have had success under different coaches.

Very good points, and yes, I truly feel you're 100% correct.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:04 AM, Jlowe22 said:

True. Everyone is ultimately accountable here.