Week 7 thoughts

JMG5

We're a bad team.

Pete needs to go. The offense didn't move the ball until we ran hurry-up and the calls were no longer up to him.

Carr had his worst game. That 1st half was very bad. He missed open guys and had slow, sloppy decision making. He improved as the game went on, but once again too little too late.

Defense did what they could. They played a great 2nd half outside of that long TD to Kirk. If they don't hold opponents to under 16 we don't really have a chance.

We need a new kicker and a new punter. They're both bad.

Yea I mean, we're just bad.  I don't even care what the defense did or didn't do, until the offense can actually score some points, it will always be on them.

Carr and the receivers just aren't on the same page.  This is going on seven games now and we're still throwing the ball into the turf when receivers are nowhere to be found.  Regardless who's fault it is, it's high time to get it fixed.

• Like 1

There's a disconnect among the offense, and I can't put my finger on it.

The O-line is...okay, but not as good as they can be.
Virtually every receiver not named Thomas looks off, and not in the mood to compete.
Moreau dropping that easy TD catch isn't a fluke, that's just being mentally absent, just like Olave was all game.
Kamara wasn't into the game until the 2nd half, Carr sucked arse until the 2nd half. The defense was playing uninspired until the 2nd half. And finally, in this wonderful 2nd half, we saw just a touch more than vanilla plays. And it was too late.

The punting sucked (well, there was 1 decent one), the place kicking was very suspect, and frankly, if it weren't for some Jags miscues, we're not even in this game past the 1st quarter. I mean, 2 turn overs in the 1st Q and only 3 points to show for it? It should have been 17 - 7 Saints at the end of the 1st Q.

I am finally on board with a full on rebuilt. Cut ties with the entire coaching staff, and if that can't be done, ditch Loomis, too. Cap wizard or not, there are other fish in this sea. Time to go fishing.

• Like 1

The first 3 quarters of that game were among the most frustrating of the season on offense. Nobody seemed to be on the same page and there were several head scratching playcalls. Much of what has already been going on this season only a bit more magnified in the first 3 quarters last night’s game.

Whatever changed in the 4th quarter is something the team needs to take a deep look into over the next week leading into the next game. The playcalls made sense, the team looked in sync, and there was actually some space for our weapons to make plays.

If us going to a hurry up offense meant Carmichael had less involvement in playcalls that should be an eye opener for the front offense. If us being in more of a high tempo offense was the root cause of this (with Carmichael calling the plays), then that needs to be explored. Whatever it was, in the 4th quarter our offense finally looked the way it should with all the weapons we have on that side of the ball.

An average offense with this great defense puts us among the best teams in the NFC. The Jaguars are probably one of the best if not best team we play all season (Lions are the only other comparable team). Despite not showing up for 3 quarters on offense, we still were in a position to go to OT on the final drive with an unfortunate dropped pass by Moreau being the difference. I still think we have a good chance to win the NFC South even with all of our faults. 

• Like 2

We have a good defense and a bad offense. Carr will be gone after 2024 IMO. His issue is he's Jared Goff. He isn't going to succeed despite a bad system, but he can play well in a strong system. 

tbh we'll probably be a wild card team, our schedule is just so damn easy they'll probably claw in with 8 wins. My biggest fear is that saves Dennis Allens job. 

31 minutes ago, Kingram said:

We have a good defense and a bad offense. Carr will be gone after 2024 IMO. His issue is he's Jared Goff. He isn't going to succeed despite a bad system, but he can play well in a strong system. 

tbh we'll probably be a wild card team, our schedule is just so damn easy they'll probably claw in with 8 wins. My biggest fear is that saves Dennis Allens job. 

I think its unlikely they fire DA this season no matter what happens. They'll likely give him another year with Carr and a new OC and cut ties with everyone the following season once the experiment fails again.

Saints needed the rest of the world to see in a Prime Time game what a sh*t show they are. Glad they delivered on that for 3 quarters. Bad news is, they looked pretty good in the 4th. If not for a dropped TD pass, maybe they pull off the win.

Thank goodness for Pete doubling down on how bad a playcaller he is with that game ending end zone fade lol. Good one Petey. One of the least successful (less than 5% success rate) play calls in the NFL. 

I'm not sure I like Carr overly much, either. Fire em all. Burn it down and start over, finally.

• Like 2

Outside of the OL being injured and inconsistent the team has talent.  The coaching is just not there.  Too many penalties, offensively playcalling that's bad at best, and certain players seeming to not believe in the coaching staff and giving up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Outside of the OL being injured and inconsistent the team has talent.  The coaching is just not there.  Too many penalties, offensively playcalling that's bad at best, and certain players seeming to not believe in the coaching staff and giving up.

You can see it in the post game talks. The coaching staff needs to swallow it's pathetic pride and get it right. DA is SOFT!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Saints needed the rest of the world to see in a Prime Time game what a sh*t show they are. Glad they delivered on that for 3 quarters. Bad news is, they looked pretty good in the 4th. If not for a dropped TD pass, maybe they pull off the win.

Thank goodness for Pete doubling down on how bad a playcaller he is with that game ending end zone fade lol. Good one Petey. One of the least successful (less than 5% success rate) play calls in the NFL. 

I'm not sure I like Carr overly much, either. Fire em all. Burn it down and start over, finally.

After the 2024 season we should finally get a fresh start. We can cut Carr and hopefully some of our aging, unproductive players and just hit the restart button.

In 2024 and 2025 we can get out of a lot of contracts.

Edited by JMG5

I feel sorry for guys like Cam Jordan and Demario Davis, to name a couple. Guys coming to the end of their careers and having to put up with less than mediocrity from the coaching staff. It's straight up pathetic. 

Although I'd like to see the Saints win every game... it's unrealistic to expect that. Just be competitive, that's all. If you're competitive, the rest will fall into place through practice, understanding, and perseverance.

The game is divided into 4 quarters, why not show up for all 4? The issues start with DA, full stop.

Dear DA: be a man and actually hold yourself accountable for once. Thanks.  signed: a very frustrated Saints fan.

It looks like Derek Carr has a lower TD% than any Saints starting QB with a decent number of starts under his belt since Kerry Collins in 1998.  Billy Joe Tolliver was just barely higher in 1999.  Even Aaron Brooks in 2005 was higher.

And this is in an offense with at least 4 legit receiving weapons.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

It looks like Derek Carr has a lower TD% than any Saints starting QB with a decent number of starts under his belt since Kerry Collins in 1998.  Billy Joe Tolliver was just barely higher in 1999.  Even Aaron Brooks in 2005 was higher.

And this is in an offense with at least 4 legit receiving weapons.

Because Carr has zero redzone ability.

Edited by Tank4Drake