The MVP race

Steelersfan43

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is actually all true though lol the only difference is we know CMC is elite without Shanny.

I don’t think I like the idea of giving a lifetime achievement award to someone else because Brock hasn’t proved it for multiple years. 

Its a single season award lol. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Pretty easy to put up 2k all purpose yards when you have coach named Shanahan scheming up running concepts, facing defenses that are forced to defend against the deadliest deep game in the league, an MVP caliber QB and a good run blocking O-line with a hall of fame LT. 

Swap in any top 15 RB and the 49ers are still 11-3. We saw Elijah Mitchell do basically the same thing.

see what I did there?

AP got 2,000 rushing yards, not all purpose, rushing, with 9th string caliber QB in Joe Webb, 8 Man Stacked Boxes, and averaging 6.3 yards a carry. 

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is actually all true though lol the only difference is we know CMC is elite without Shanny.

Kittle would be GOAT Level TE on a different team. Can do anything Kelce can do and is the most efficient TE literally every year he’s been in the league. Shanny just doesn’t utilize the position like Reid does. As for Deebo, I think he’s in the perfect system for his skillset and probably tails off somewhat on a different team (but still quite good). As for Aiyuk, he’d probably have similar numbers elsewhere, he’s a plug and play guy. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

So Emmanuel Acho is an MVP voter and has basically said he can't consider Purdy for MVP and Nora Princiotti is an MVP voter and on her podcast discussing the MVP, did not have Purdy in the top 3. Nora had CMC on her ballot over Purdy. 

I mentioned it in the 49er forum, but really feels like Purdy is the breaking point for a lot of people with regards "great stats on a great team". 

CBS went from from having Dak 1 and Purdy 2 and Lamar #5 (lol) before last week to having Jackson #1, Purdy 2, which feels they are screaming "We can't vote for purdy" haha. 

As much as I think that Purdy has every right to be in the conversation for MVP, I continue to believe that he doesn't have a real shot at the award despite being the betting favorite. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

So Emmanuel Acho is an MVP voter and has basically said he can't consider Purdy for MVP and Nora Princiotti is an MVP voter and on her podcast discussing the MVP, did not have Purdy in the top 3. Nora had CMC on her ballot over Purdy. 

I mentioned it in the 49er forum, but really feels like Purdy is the breaking point for a lot of people with regards "great stats on a great team". 

CBS went from from having Dak 1 and Purdy 2 and Lamar #5 (lol) before last week to having Jackson #1, Purdy 2, which feels they are screaming "We can't vote for purdy" haha. 

As much as I think that Purdy has every right to be in the conversation for MVP, I continue to believe that he doesn't have a real shot at the award despite being the betting favorite. 

betting odds never lie. He'll win the award if he balls against BAL.

And I think Purdy is moreso just the breaking point of "This guy is clearly a system QB being propped up". Whether that's fair or not is a completely different story.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And I think Purdy is moreso just the breaking point of "This guy is clearly a system QB being propped up". Whether that's fair or not is a completely different story.

Betting odds alone don't tell the whole story. 

William Hill, for example, is 7 figures deep in the red if Purdy wins the award. They need more money elsewhere. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Working an offense through a system is not exciting, but it is what every NFL QB does.  Nobody asks if Lamar had 3 seconds to throw, how good would he be?  Nobody is bashing him calling him a glorified kick returner.  He plays in a specific system tailored to his strengths and development.   A QB in the wrong system, without guys around them, and a bad coach won't have the production to win the award. 

I watch too much of Purdy and too little of everyone else (other than CMC) to have a fair and objective opinion on MVP, but what Brock has done is very impressive.  He's allowed Kyle Shanahan to utilize his full playbook and arsenal of weapons for the first time in SF, and unlocking full Kyle has helped the team take the next step on offense.  The 9ers have a lot of great players on offense, no doubt, but the way Brock maximizes their talents with well placed, well timed passes is not to be understated.    Brock is ultra consistent, and that gets lost in the highlight/lowlight hot take culture.  Allowing the greatness to shine rather than casting a shadow over it is what most MVP's do.  It's not unique to Brock, but being a preseason dog at )+5000 and getting a lot of action is Purdy rare.  Seems like a good enough reason to really magnify his negative traits through the media.

Odds don't lie, but they sure do change.  +5000 to -190 is some noteworthy movement.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Working an offense through a system is not exciting, but it is what every NFL QB does.  Nobody asks if Lamar had 3 seconds to throw, how good would he be?  Nobody is bashing him calling him a glorified kick returner.  He plays in a specific system tailored to his strengths and development.   A QB in the wrong system, without guys around them, and a bad coach won't have the production to win the award. 

My brother in christ, Lamar is the system. He's not "in" a system.

19 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The 99 rams had like the softest schedule ever from what I remember lol

The falcons have played the easiest schedule in the league this year by opponent win percentage. .421 per tankathon.

For pro football reference's strength of schedule indicator, that's a -2.57. 

The 99 Rams were -5.88