The MVP race

Steelersfan43

14 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Gus Edwards is the DEFINITION of average.

I'm with you overall, but are we sure Gus isn't a pretty good player who has just been underutilized?

Dude averaged > 5.0 ypc all 4 seasons he played prior to this year. 6 TD on 144 carries in 2020 not terrible.

I've been impressed by him when I've seen him play this year, idk.

May just have a soft spot for him as a sogGUSt guy myself.

19 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Again, serious reading comprehension issue. I’m even offering you clarification and you’re refusing it. It’s an unserious conversation because you’re incapable of carrying out a coherent conversation. See yourself out. 

Nah, my reading comprehension is just fine. I even went back and double checked just to be sure.

14 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

So in other words they’re performing very well as a collective whole. Meanwhile Dak has no run game to lean on, and everyone knows that offense will live and die by his arm.

...what do you think the Ravens' offense will live and die on? (HINT: It's not Gus Edwards)

14 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I can understand Lamar winning, but acting like it isn’t close is crazy and speaks more to the team success than anything solely attributed to Lamar. But of course he is a big part of it.

It isn't close, especially with Dak failing to elevate against Miami and Lamar obliterating 2 of the best teams back to back with MVP signature performances in both.

Just now, Soggust said:

I'm with you overall, but are we sure Gus isn't a pretty good player who has just been underutilized?

Dude averaged > 5.0 ypc all 4 seasons he played prior to this year. 6 TD on 144 carries in 2020 not terrible.

I've been impressed by him when I've seen him play this year, idk.

May just have a soft spot for him as a sogGUSt guy myself.

Gus is a very capable back. This year he's been average, though. He's still highly effective at getting 3-5 yards, but that's about it. He's built for this offense but he's not a feature back this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gus is a very capable back. This year he's been average, though. He's still highly effective at getting 3-5 yards, but that's about it. He's built for this offense but he's not a feature back this year.

He's 2022 Jamaal Williams maybe?

23 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

The Ravens run game is better than Dallas' BECAUSE of Lamar. The Cowboys have better WRs, TEs, RBs and a better OL.

I would have Allen and Purdy over Dak too

Of course you do. Acting like it’s all Lamar is unfair to how fantastic his team is.. namely his defense, too.

It’s amusing that this entire forum laughs at Dallas as fraudulent but then we act like Dak’s support is elite if it can be used to discredit him. Strange.

26 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Nah, my reading comprehension is just fine. I even went back and double checked just to be sure.

...what do you think the Ravens' offense will live and die on? (HINT: It's not Gus Edwards)

It isn't close, especially with Dak failing to elevate against Miami and Lamar obliterating 2 of the best teams back to back with MVP signature performances in both.

You’re still not acknowledging the team aspect of this. Lamar is the key cog, but that’s not all there is and it’s saying little to nothing in regards to them having the best defense in the league. Must be hard to have a signature win against the Niners when his defense got him the ball 4 times from Purdy. You’re listing team strength. Right now Baltimore is absolutely the best team in the league — this shouldn’t make Lamar MVP nearly by default. 

Lamar’s numbers (including rushing) are comparable to Dak and Brock, but don’t necessarily surpass theirs. 32/8 vs 29/7 vs 31/11 with all having similar total yardage and QBR/PSR.  I’m sure there are more advanced stats that matter and his 5TD performance today vs Miami will certainly leave an impression, if Brock and Dak go off next week and he rests or struggles vs Pitt, it’s close enough to still be up for grabs IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

Of course you do. Acting like it’s all Lamar is unfair to how fantastic his team is.. namely his defense, too.

It’s amusing that this entire forum laughs at Dallas as fraudulent but then we act like Dak’s support is elite if it can be used to discredit him. Strange.

I'm not sure why you say "of course you do". I actively dislike Baltimore and Buffalo. I dislike both QBs. I'm neutral toward Dak. No bias here....you should probably take a step back and think about that.

And nowhere did I say his support is elite - I said it was head and shoulders above Lamar's

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

He's 2022 Jamaal Williams maybe?

I don't think Edwards ever regained his pre-injury form. He was faster and more explosive. He's still good between the tackles but he is 90-95% of what he was in 2020. 

17 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'm not sure why you say "of course you do". I actively dislike Baltimore and Buffalo. I dislike both QBs. I'm neutral toward Dak. No bias here....you should probably take a step back and think about that.

And nowhere did I say his support is elite - I said it was head and shoulders above Lamar's

Just because there aren’t superstar names at the skill positions for Lamar that doesn’t mean he has poor skill around him. There’s a reason why they’re the strongest team in the league even with his production being so ho-how for the majority of the season with the exception of the outlier performance tonight.. and that’s with a defense that gives them a lot of opportunity. This league is so over reactive to what happens any given day that it’s not surprising that all of a sudden Lamar is seen as the auto pick when he wasn’t even really in the conversation all that long ago. Purdy and Dak were apparently disqualified for having simply one bad game each in this recent run of games despite being arguably more individually impressive. But Lamar’s team has been so hot that he’ll win it on narrative. Dak could throw for 500, 5 TD, zero picks next week and it wouldn’t even matter. 

35 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Right now Baltimore is absolutely the best team in the league — this shouldn’t make Lamar MVP nearly by default. 

Its fair to make that argument but I just don't think the voters will see it that way. They are looking for the simplest answer.

• Like 2

The reason QB always wins it on the 1st or 2nd seed is because the best QB season is usually on the 1st or 2nd seed (only counting playoff teams). I’m not sure Lamar has had the best season for a QB among playoff teams. He probably has… but it’s really close, and also not impressive. Lamar probably wins MVP but it will be by far the least impressive MVP since 2008 Peyton Manning. (I actually thought 2016 Matt Ryan was a super good season, statistically one of the best seasons ever for a QB). I think Dak is still in consideration IMO. If Cowboys win next week and lock up a Top 2 seed, and Dak has a good game like 2 TDs 0 INTs 275 yards, he’s 100% in the conversation. 

Purdy is still alive too, but he would need like a 4 TD game next week imo…

If the season ended today, I’d give to Lamar, but it’s razor close. I think Dak has a prime opportunity next week. Just my two cents. 

5 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Purdy's probably not playing more than one half at the very most next week

Yeah, I would assume that purdys season is mostly, if not completely done

7 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Purdy's probably not playing more than one half at the very most next week

Yeah the MVP award is probably Lamar vs Dak. And I think it’s closer than any Raven fan will want to admit. Dak is alive. His stats, including efficiency, is more impressive than Lamar, and he can lock up a Top 2 seed next week. 

Who is it right now? Lamar. 

Who do I think wins it? Dak. Not confident though. Dak needs to play well next week. 

Edited by Tank4Drake