Do you think the Bills current window is closed?

CP3MVP

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

This kind of gets to a semantics argument I suppose, but if you're a couple good drafts away from a SB run, would that not imply that you're at least 2 years from being a superbowl contender? Because I think that's what most mean when they say the current window is closed. Not gonna win it with the current core, need to reload and can get back there if they make the right roster decision for an offseason or two.

But, you could argue any team is a couple good drafts away from a SB run. '21 Bengals made the superbowl largely off of two offseasons worth of moves. Bills are more likely to get back there within that kind of timeframe due to having Allen, but saying a team is a couple offseasons away from a superbowl run, to me, is the same as saying the window is closed, but can be reopened.

Couple thoughts... 

I think its more dynamic than most people give credit and its hard to say where a team is in that timeline.  Like, the Bills could be having that draft/those key moves this offseason and it may be players we don't expect to contribute much who make the difference.  Outside of the Brady Patriots, Mahomes Chiefs, Montana 49ers, etc. most SB contenders could easily be losing teams any given year and nobody would bat an eye.  And most teams we expect to go 7-10 could go 12-5 and make a run and nobody would bat an eye.  Things change very quickly in the NFL.  There's always a reason for it in hindsight. 

The one differentiator IMO is the QB position.  A team with a bad quarterback is extremely unlikely to make a Super Bowl run.  A team with an elite QB always may be right on the cusp of a SB run sometimes when you least expect it.  So I think the Bills window will close when Josh Allen retires, leaves, or is no longer an elite QB.