Do you think the Bills current window is closed?

CP3MVP

48 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm on record saying as long as you truly have a FQB, the Bills window is always open.

However those trying to argue ALL OF THOSE LOSSES they've occured since the salary dump and FA started won't matter, is not that big of a deal? 

Are absolutely fooling themselves.  🍺

I think some matter. Some may matter big time (Morse and Diggs as example) But I don’t think all of them matter.

I give the Bills props for how they have handled Diggs for the past year or two. He has obviously been a malcontent and they apparently tried to make it work but at some point when you have a player like Diggs that has shown repeatedly that he has no issue knocking his teammates, etc. in the media....it finally became addition by subtraction. I have to believe there were many more issues that were behind the scenes that the team was dealing with for them to part ways with Diggs and take such a big dead money hit.

Nope. People said it last year, and if it wasn't for their defense getting caved by injuries, they probably beat the Chiefs in the divisional round. They turn the heat ON in December. Always have under Allen and McD. 

They'll likely win their division again and have home playoff games. At that point, anything can happen. The even more enticing news is trading Diggs opens up so much cap space next year + Von Miller's contract will be much less of a burden to get out of. They also have a good number of draft picks this year and next year + they still have some cap space to work with this year.

So, in short, they're still a contender this year, and are in a pretty position next year in terms of cap space. Trading Diggs hurts in the short-term, but the move makes sense, and Diggs departure isn't enough to collapse the Bills offense. He was nonexistent to end the year and was pulling himself off the field at a crazy rate. Yet, Buffalo played their best football to end the year by running the ball more, controlling the clock, and Allen reeling in his mistakes. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are we just massively overrating all of these players then?

I'd assume so. Poyer was showing his age last year. White isn't beating out Douglas or Benford and was out since October; I ❤️ him, though. Dodson is being replaced by Milano; who is clearly the better player. Davis...good riddance. 

Floyd is a tough loss. He was solid for us, but also no showed in the playoffs. The interior of the d line actually improved assuming Jones will be healthy this season. Morse, this is where I worry, but Allen has been a top tier QB in seasons he's had average-to-mediocre lines, and I'm not convinced the interior of the line won't be addressed more in the draft or FA. Absolutely a valid concern and can be a reason they regress. 

Diggs? Meh. I love him, but he was taking himself off the field a ton in the final few months of the year, which is part of the reason his numbers tanked (according to Josh Norman who was one of our coaches). He was checked out, and yet, the Bills were the hottest team in the league during that time because they built a different identity on offense. A more smash mouth football identity, and I'm here for it. 

Having a healthy Milano for the year is probably more important than any of these guys except Morse (they're probably equals), honestly. A full year of Douglas is enticing as hell, too. That man is a baller. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

They'll take a step back this year and may fall behind the Jets and Dolphins. Bills will still need to get out from under Von Miller's contract next offseason. But at this point, it's mainly a matter of hitting on some draft picks and replacing expensive vets with cheaper guys on rookie deals. They have a lot of picks in this draft but unfortunately it's not a deep class this year and most of their picks are on day 3. They probably should have made Houston pay the 2nd rounder for Diggs this year. 

They'll take a step back this year and may fall behind the Jets and Dolphins. Bills will still need to get out from under Von Miller's contract next offseason. But at this point, it's mainly a matter of hitting on some draft picks and replacing expensive vets with cheaper guys on rookie deals. They have a lot of picks in this draft but unfortunately it's not a deep class this year and most of their picks are on day 3. They probably should have made Houston pay the 2nd rounder for Diggs this year. 

• Like 1

Yes, and no.  Buffalo will not make the playoffs this year, even if Josh Allen can make a WR1 out of the WR2 they'll get at #28.  Their offensive schedule is just too tough and two AFC-East rivals are about to make a quantum leap in QB performance.

"Windows closing" suggests a long term decline, though.  I see nothing to suggest the Bills won't bounce back in 2025 after 2 drafts, with more cap space and a softer schedule.

Nah. As long as Allen is around and the roster isn't terrible they're well within contention.

Good coaching and good QB play in a soft divison is pretty easy recipe for success. (Bills have the dolphins number, Jets are a paper contender until otherwise)

21 hours ago, mission27 said:

No team with a consistently top-3 QB will ever have their window closed.  They're always a couple good drafts or FA pieces away from a SB run.

This kind of gets to a semantics argument I suppose, but if you're a couple good drafts away from a SB run, would that not imply that you're at least 2 years from being a superbowl contender? Because I think that's what most mean when they say the current window is closed. Not gonna win it with the current core, need to reload and can get back there if they make the right roster decision for an offseason or two.

But, you could argue any team is a couple good drafts away from a SB run. '21 Bengals made the superbowl largely off of two offseasons worth of moves. Bills are more likely to get back there within that kind of timeframe due to having Allen, but saying a team is a couple offseasons away from a superbowl run, to me, is the same as saying the window is closed, but can be reopened.