The Michigan/Sign Stealing & COVID Punishment Thread

BobbyPhil1781

20 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Can you source this please? Are you referencing the ncaa or the big10? Do they specify “who” did something wrong and give any description of what was done wrong.  They did something wrong is a pretty general statement and could mean anything.  Did they directly say they did something wrong involving funds?  Did they say they university did something wrong ? Did they implicate the coaches ? Because that’s a pretty meaningless statement without more context. “They” have already said Harbaugh was not involved. So I can only assume “you did something wrong” is in reference to Stallions. Which we all know already 

No one cares what you think as it is meaningless. You are not important to them. And yes, if it was Stalions, who cares? It happened under Harbaugh's watch and according to NCAA bylaws, he is responsible for keeping his house clean.

https://bigten.org/news/2023/11/10/general-big-ten-conference-announces-violation-of-sportsmanship-policy-by-university-of-michigan-football-program.aspx

Here's the letters you can read for yourself b/c I am not wasting more keystrokes on something you're going to dismiss

Go ahead and ignore it like you ignore everything else that makes you sad. Again, YOUR OPINION does not matter

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

30 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No one cares what you think as it is meaningless. You are not important to them. And yes, if it was Stalions, who cares? It happened under Harbaugh's watch and according to NCAA bylaws, he is responsible for keeping his house clean.

https://bigten.org/news/2023/11/10/general-big-ten-conference-announces-violation-of-sportsmanship-policy-by-university-of-michigan-football-program.aspx

Here's the letters you can read for yourself b/c I am not wasting more keystrokes on something you're going to dismiss

Go ahead and ignore it like you ignore everything else that makes you sad. Again, YOUR OPINION does not matter

Can’t you just have a discussion ? This is the most worth while response you may have ever given me. An actual point argue.  So far Pettiti’s letter is full of claims he hasn’t been able to back with any thing substantial.  He supposedly shared all his evidence with Michigan and it was much to do about nothing.  If he is withholding evidence then shame on him.  He has completely failed his duties, responsibilities and obligations to protect each member of the conference.  It will all come out on Friday if he has anything and either direction is a bad look for him. If he doesn’t have any more evidence he looks like a fool and if he does and didn’t share it he looks like a vindictive non impartial spiteful jack——.   If you actually read the letter he essentially makes a bunch of threats he can’t back up and ultimately claims himself to have dictator esq powers and can rule on hearsay as he pleases.  

Your dirty laundry is about to get aired we shall see if you. “ just don’t get it “ then. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/donyaeger/2023/11/14/michigan-wolverines-put-on-your-big-boy-pants-and-play-by-the-rules/?sh=1f73d1bd3605

Michigan Wolverines: Put On Your Big-Boy Pants And Play By The Rules

I’ve been following the Michigan football drama for weeks and have withheld offering comment for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to see how this sign-stealing situation played out and, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have done media training for Michigan’s football student athletes several times over the years and felt hesitant to jump in too early.

But this weekend was more than I could handle. So I’m weighing in to say I’ve had enough. Michigan’s vaunted football program, currently ranked No. 2 in the nation, needs to lay off the drama and engage in some serious self-reflection about the impact of cheating on their program, reputation and, above all, integrity.

As background, the football program in Ann Arbor has been accused of signal-stealing, and a Big Ten probe into the matter found enough evidence to ban Wolverines head coach Jim Harbaugh for several games. What is signal-stealing? All teams spend time reviewing video and television broadcasts of opponents’ games with the goal of evaluating how they play as well as deciphering their signals for use when the teams meet. This, by the rules of college football, is a legal activity and one around which entire departments are built at places like Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia.

What is not legal is signal stealing, which can be accomplished in two ways: by having a staff member attend future opponents’ games — usually in disguise, a la John le Carré — or eavesdropping on opponents using electronics. The rationale behind the ban on signal stealing is perfectly sensible: spying is expensive and confers a whopping advantage on bigger, wealthier programs. This is the reason the NCAA banned the practice years ago.

At the heart of the controversy stands the shadowy figure of one Connor Stalions, a football analyst with the Wolverines and a retired captain in the United States Marine Corps. He’s the operative who has been “made” by opposing football staffs who have seen him at their games — undercover and in disguise. But the one who has to take the heat at Michigan, again per established NCAA guidelines, is head coach Harbaugh, who has flatly denied having any knowledge of, or participation in, the signal stealing. He has not, for the record, denied that it occurred.

Sorry Coach, doesn’t matter. Rules, as they say, are rules. But Wolverine Nation is having none of it — the rules, that is. The players, coaches, fans and alums have agreed that it’s a “Michigan versus the world” world they now have to live in, so they have circled the wagons to outside voices and agreed to shower unconditional love on their team. In the past and in other contexts, I have lauded the us-against-the-world tactic as one of an effective leader’s best tools to rally and motivate his or her team. I wrote about this type of “chip” here a few weeks ago. The point is that in order to work, a chip can be real or largely manufactured; but the chip Michigan has concocted is self-delusory and just plain wrong-headed.

I hope that by the time they finish reading this article, written by one who has admired the program and its staff, Michigan’s apologists will have changed their minds.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is the constant refrain that, “Everyone does it, so why should we be the ones who get punished?” Really? That’s the best you can come up with—a first-grade excuse to which mom always replied, “Well, if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you do that, too?”

An article on the topic that may address some of the questions that have been posed in this thread.

Edited by RuskieTitan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

While not defending this at all there is nothing that states Harbaugh or others were involved. I think it's obvious some coaches were. I think HC has responsibility to know what's taking place. But I think this is also the sliver that UM is arguing to point.

so from a legal standpoint UM has a point. From a morale standpoint I am not sure why they are trying to prolong this 

28 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

While not defending this at all there is nothing that states Harbaugh or others were involved. I think it's obvious some coaches were. I think HC has responsibility to know what's taking place. But I think this is also the sliver that UM is arguing to point.

so from a legal standpoint UM has a point. From a morale standpoint I am not sure why they are trying to prolong this 

We also don't know the extent of the information the NCAA has either. You are right that no one knows but as you noted, it's the HC's responsibility to know and bylaws state that he is responsible for anything that happens under his roof.

I feel like we have the assume the NCAA and B1G aren't going to take these measures unless they have a lot of data and based on what they've said, it seems they do, and it's "uncotroverted" as they put it. 

One thing is for sure and things will certainly be getting interesting, even more then they already are

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

What do we make of this? Also, rumor is the NCAA is now investigating betting related activities as well but there's not a lot to that as of now. The timing w/ this post is very.... interesting though

I don't think there is anything to make of it. People are going to start all kinds of rumors and speculation tied to all this.

I had read earlier they had found video of OSU staff at UM games. Heard they found video of Rutgers at OSU game etc.

There is so many different rumors it's insane. They only real thing to date is UM staffer at games and all the things associated with that process.

Anything else is just people being bored and speculating. 

Highly doubt anything happens to anyone but Harbaugh and UM. Maybe some minor infractions to other schools that NCAA randomly stumbles upon minor violations as they investigate UM. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I don't think there is anything to make of it. People are going to start all kinds of rumors and speculation tied to all this.

I had read earlier they had found video of OSU staff at UM games. Heard they found video of Rutgers at OSU game etc.

There is so many different rumors it's insane. They only real thing to date is UM staffer at games and all the things associated with that process.

Anything else is just people being bored and speculating. 

Highly doubt anything happens to anyone but Harbaugh and UM. Maybe some minor infractions to other schools that NCAA randomly stumbles upon minor violations as they investigate UM. 

If it were an OSU message board, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Since it's a MOD of a Michigan message board though, I did want to see what others thought. The twists and turns this story has taken doesn't leave anything off the table though lol

50 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

What do we make of this? Also, rumor is the NCAA is now investigating betting related activities as well but there's not a lot to that as of now. The timing w/ this post is very.... interesting though

Pretty sure your being trolled…….bet

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Well I'm guessing kids are missing the memo as they got a great QB recruit out of FL.

We shall see if NIL can manage to hold this program up when all is said and done.

The memo ? Lol what kind of extreme punishment are you expecting here?  You’ve really taken the bait on this one.  

This kids class of 25, wait to you hear that the entire 24 class is still completely intact with no recent decommits.  

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

The memo ? Lol what kind of extreme punishment are you expecting here?  You’ve really taken the bait on this one.  

This kids class of 25, wait to you hear that the entire 24 class is still completely intact with no recent decommits.  

If you don't think there will be a fallout for this in recruiting I don't know what to say. 

like I said hopefully NIL can keep up. A loss of scholarships at this point is a given