The Trade Deadline Thread: Both Commanders and NFL

MikeT14

Curtis Samuel - He's having a good year, so we might get some value for him. I don't think more than a 4th, but if Deebo is out for a while, maybe the Niners consider it. Buffalo might be a good option as well. 

Chase Young/Montez Sweat - There should be no shortage of suitors for these guys. Baltimore, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Houston, Chicago.

Jacoby Brissett - This is probably Cleveland or bust. I think it would be similar to the Dobbs deal. A 5th for Brissett + 7th. 

Kendall Fuller - I keep listing the Bills, but I think we have good options for them. People always need corner depth, and Fuller has overall been solid. 

Kamren Curl - I think the Lions are a good fit here if they want to go all in now. This would be expensive for me to move on though. No idea what that might look like, but possibly as high as a 2nd. 

Jamison Crowder - Wouldn't be anything more than a pick swap, but he's proven he can still do the role. 

Logan Thomas - He has an easy out after this year, so someone looking for TE help could use him for a stretch run and then move on in the offseason. His base salary would still be a little high for the remaining games, but if you could sneak out a 5th rounder for him, I think you consider it. Waller went for a 3rd, so my asking might be steep, but I also don't think there is a lot out there. I could see Dallas, Tampa, LAC, BUF, MIA and Seattle being involved. Maybe combo him with Curtis Samuel in Buffalo for something decent. 

Antonio Gibson - I don't think there is much market for him, but there have been RB injuries. One idea would be combo him with Logan to Tampa for that 5th. Maybe you can do for a 4th and swap a 6th back. 

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would entertain offers for Brissett or Samuel but I wouldn't trade anyone else. 

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with Kam Curl, Montez Sweat, Chase Young, Kendall Fuller, Saadiq Charles, Cornelius Lucas, Cody Barton, James Smith-Williams, Casey Toohill, and the other impending free agents if you are only entertaining Brissett or Samuel being moved?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with Kam Curl, Montez Sweat, Chase Young, Kendall Fuller, Saadiq Charles, Cornelius Lucas, Cody Barton, James Smith-Williams, Casey Toohill, and the other impending free agents if you are only entertaining Brissett or Samuel being moved?

I would very much guess no one ins interested in the bolded. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Kam Curl

Sign to a LTE. 

Montez Sweat

Sign to a LTE.

Chase Young

Franchise Tag. 

Kendall Fuller

3 year extension. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Saadiq Charles

No one will want him. 

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Cornelius Lucas

Possible 2 year extension or let walk depending on the new coaching staff. 

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Cody Barton

No one will want him. 

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

James Smith-Williams, Casey Toohill

These guys are just depth players that don't have trade value. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I would very much guess no one ins interested in the bolded. 

The answer is always no when the question isn't asked. 

If I was in Josh Harris's shoes, I'm forcing Ron to shop everyone. Im not making him trade everyone, but at the very least feelers have to be put out for potential return. The majority of impending FAs (and current roster in general) will be turned over. 

If you as the owner don't want to fire Ron, make him your fall guy. He loves mumbling in front of a camera, so just have him fold his arms and do your bidding. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Sign to a LTE. 

Sign to a LTE.

Franchise Tag. 

3 year extension. 

No one will want him. 

Possible 2 year extension or let walk depending on the new coaching staff. 

No one will want him. 

These guys are just depth players that don't have trade value. 

You want to retain the majority of the 5th worst passing defense, 6th worst rushing defense, 4th worst combined defense (allowing 374 ypg)?

Don't mind me while I disagree. The simple fact that the defense is in their 4th year together (more for some) and they still aren't getting the job done, should be enough to not consider extending anyone (even though I want Curl extended). Now we are making LTD offers with Curl, Sweat, Fuller and franchising Young?

I just don't know how you can rationalize that? Are you assuming that our struggles are 100% scheme based and with new coaching it changes? 

47 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You want to retain the majority of the 5th worst passing defense, 6th worst rushing defense, 4th worst combined defense (allowing 374 ypg)?

Don't mind me while I disagree. The simple fact that the defense is in their 4th year together (more for some) and they still aren't getting the job done, should be enough to not consider extending anyone (even though I want Curl extended). Now we are making LTD offers with Curl, Sweat, Fuller and franchising Young?

I just don't know how you can rationalize that? Are you assuming that our struggles are 100% scheme based and with new coaching it changes? 

Because I think we've been outcoached in every game we've played this season. This defense with pretty much the same players has been a top 10 units for several years in a row. On offense, our offensive coordinator is a complete asshat who has no idea what he's doing. Hire a totally new coaching staff, draft a first round OT, sign a free agent OG, take a WR or MLB 2nd round then fill the other with a FA and suddenly we look quite competitive. 

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because I think we've been outcoached in every game we've played this season. This defense with pretty much the same players has been a top 10 units for several years in a row. On offense, our offensive coordinator is a complete asshat who has no idea what he's doing. Hire a totally new coaching staff, draft a first round OT, sign a free agent OG, take a WR or MLB 2nd round then fill the other with a FA and suddenly we look quite competitive.

I can't predict the future, so I can't disagree that this strategy could work, but I am very skeptical. We definitely aren't a top 10 defense this year. While I put the majority of the blame on the staff, our playerw are getting dominated by subpar competition. Allowing almost 30 points a game this year is inexcusable. Allowing the Bears to put 40 points on us is inexcusable. Not dominating the Giants offense without Daniel Jones and with an offensive line scraped together. The Giants hadn't scored an offensive touchdown in like 5 games. 

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on blowing it up and replacing many players as a more successful option than extending what we have and hoping they perform better in the future, but I can't poke holes in your thinking. For the sake of this discussion, the next 10 weeks will be very telling. 

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I can't predict the future, so I can't disagree that this strategy could work, but I am very skeptical. We definitely aren't a top 10 defense this year. While I put the majority of the blame on the staff, our playerw are getting dominated by subpar competition. Allowing almost 30 points a game this year is inexcusable. Allowing the Bears to put 40 points on us is inexcusable. Not dominating the Giants offense without Daniel Jones and with an offensive line scraped together. The Giants hadn't scored an offensive touchdown in like 5 games. 

If I was a betting man, I would put my money on blowing it up and replacing many players as a more successful option than extending what we have and hoping they perform better in the future, but I can't poke holes in your thinking. For the sake of this discussion, the next 10 weeks will be very telling. 

I think the defense sucks due to a lack of effort/motivation and terrible scheme/lack of adjustments. The league seems to have made some shifts schematically the past few years that has passed this staff by. But I think the players as a unit are talented and we are deep. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1