Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Answer this. You're an owner, would you rather have Ben Johnson with a decade plus resume coaching in the NFL. Currently running one of the best offenses in football. Or Pierce, a LB coach with < 2 years NFL coaching experience? Who's the guy you trust with your QB position that you're rebuilding?

Difficult decision. If I was the owner I would trust my GM.
I'm not trying to dodge your question, but I wouldn't make the decision right now.

AP and Ben Johnson are closer than you would like to hear (at least for me). AP runs the show right now, and he does it at least on the same level than JMD. But that shouldn't be the standard.
I can see right now what AP does good and what he doesn't do good. I would question myself, are the good things sustainable and are the bad things either not that important or part of a learn curve.

As an owner I would definetly not want to see a result like the Vikings game again, the remaining games. But I'm also impressed of how the team responded with the Chargers game.

Ben Johnson on the other hand runs, like you said a nice looking offense right now. But has he got what it takes to lead a whole NFL team? It's more than X's and O's to lead a group of men. We see it every year that one of the shiny rising stars fails to see the whole picture.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's already getting an interview. That's what being an interim coach is. And sure, he should get an opportunity to lay out his plan. 

But outside getting guys motivated to play, which they never quit in the first place, what is he excelling at? His in game decision making and clock management are horrible.

That's where I am with my previous thoughts:

Are things like clock management or game decision making not things that you "automatically" get with experience? Where as knowing how to fire up the team is more of something you are as a person or not?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Ooooookay lol

You're talking to a guy who just said his personal preference is the cutting edge Shanahan/McVay route.....when last time it was the decidedly not-cutting edge Patriot Way route that got him all giddy. 

Fairweather convictions and a lack of substance will always lead him to deflecting and demanding answers he can't come up with himself. Best to let him wallow in his pig**** "logic" undisturbed. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

You're talking to a guy who just said his personal preference is the cutting edge Shanahan/McVay route.....when last time it was the decidedly not-cutting edge Patriot Way route that got him all giddy. 

Fairweather convictions and a lack of substance will always lead him to deflecting and demanding answers he can't come up with himself. Best to let him wallow in his pig**** "logic" undisturbed. 

Yea I’m more focused on kc we’re not deciding f/o by 6pm today 

46 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Difficult decision. If I was the owner I would trust my GM.
I'm not trying to dodge your question, but I wouldn't make the decision right now.

AP and Ben Johnson are closer than you would like to hear (at least for me). AP runs the show right now, and he does it at least on the same level than JMD. But that shouldn't be the standard.
I can see right now what AP does good and what he doesn't do good. I would question myself, are the good things sustainable and are the bad things either not that important or part of a learn curve.

As an owner I would definetly not want to see a result like the Vikings game again, the remaining games. But I'm also impressed of how the team responded with the Chargers game.

Ben Johnson on the other hand runs, like you said a nice looking offense right now. But has he got what it takes to lead a whole NFL team? It's more than X's and O's to lead a group of men. We see it every year that one of the shiny rising stars fails to see the whole picture.

That's where I am with my previous thoughts:

Are things like clock management or game decision making not things that you "automatically" get with experience? Where as knowing how to fire up the team is more of something you are as a person or not?

Let's simplify this. The league is dominated by offense. The offensive coaches hired into HC jobs are finding far more success than the defensive guys. You're team needs a QB, you want to put QB guys around him. That's my preference. 

You keep mentioning Ben Johnson, but there are several qualified offensive guys of who I like a lot. Waldron, Smith, Callahan. And defensive guys I'd prefer to AP like MacDonald or even Quinn. 

Now, if hiring a defensive minded coach, then I need to be certain he can bring in the right OC. The problem there is two fold. The best OCs get HC jobs. The next tier guys are one/two good seasons away from a promotion. That leaves re-treads if you want consistency. 

This is all to say, if you want a strong offensive play caller, you make him the HC. That's the league now.

37 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

You're lying through your teeth. I 100% did not want to hire the Patriots guys. Did not like the hire to start. 

My choice was Dodd and Harbaugh and that can be backed by anyone here. 

All I ever supported was giving the people hired their time to show they can do the job. The rest were you types who like to create narratives and bend peoples words. 

But please, if you it helps you feel good about your sad life to create enemies with strangers this way, happy I can give that to you. 

Happy Holidays.....hope your mommy gives you that hug you desperately needed as a kid this year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Let's simplify this. The league is dominated by offense. The offensive coaches hired into HC jobs are finding far more success than the defensive guys. You're team needs a QB, you want to put QB guys around him. That's my preference. 

You keep mentioning Ben Johnson, but there are several qualified offensive guys of who I like a lot. Waldron, Smith, Callahan. And defensive guys I'd prefer to AP like MacDonald or even Quinn. 

Now, if hiring a defensive minded coach, then I need to be certain he can bring in the right OC. The problem there is two fold. The best OCs get HC jobs. The next tier guys are one/two good seasons away from a promotion. That leaves re-treads if you want consistency. 

This is all to say, if you want a strong offensive play caller, you make him the HC. That's the league now.

It is like that untli it isn't anymore.

Meaning, yes there is a run on offensive coaches, but how long will that last? I don't expect that we have 32 offensive headcoaches around the league in some years and that we get to see shootout results all season long.

I keep mentioning Ben Johnson, because it's almost a fan-favourite and my initial example. Why should I change that on every post? But some of the points I'd asked also fit to the other guys that I mentioned.
(Callahan is already the second guy on the list who we already had in the building - what a shame)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Meaning, yes there is a run on offensive coaches, but how long will that last?

That’s a good point. We’ve seen trends in the NFL and all of the sudden the trends fall off a cliff. Just because it worked for one team doesn’t mean it works here.

We hired two offensive coaches and both were flops. Gruden was underwhelming and McDaniels was a disaster 

I’d like to see a change of course and roll with AP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

We like to forget that not only our HC gig will be open!

There will be mulitple openings and ours is definately not the best one.

Going to be interesting to see what jobs do become available. I think ours will score relatively highly on any rankings of attractiveness tbh.

Right now we have the Raiders, Panthers and Chargers jobs who are available. Almost certainly you can add the Commanders job to that, and probably the Patriots as well.

There will inevitably be another couple of surprises (Falcons, Saints, Bears, Jets, Titans are all in that “maybe” bracket for me), but let’s look at the 5 we can be pretty certain of:
- Chargers have Herbert, but they also have an old roster heading for cap hell. They also have an owner who doesn’t spend money on staffing. This is probably the most appealing job, but it’s far from perfect.
Panthers are a hot mess of an organization. They gave up the farm for a QB who looks nowhere near ready for the position he’s been thrust into, and they have an owner who meddles badly. That said, he also has very deep pockets. Not a good prospective job, though.
Commanders, I’m not really sure what to make of. They’re coming off the disastrous Snyder era, and while things are going in the right direction I’m not sure they’re an appealing prospect. No QB, bad roster, stadium falling apart, nobody knows whether they’re even keeping the team name. I’d be wary about heading there if I was a top HC prospect.
- Patriots - theoretically a good landing spot given they should be in position to draft a top QB, and already have a very solid defense in place. The one issue with this job is the rumors that it’s already earn-marked for Jerod Mayo as the chosen heir to Belichick.

Trying to look objectively, there are a lot of appealing things about the Raiders job. The one huge, gaping hole is the QB situation which we won’t be in a good position to immediately fix. But I think if you graded the available jobs we’re probably one of the more appealing ones…

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Commanders, I’m not really sure what to make of. They’re coming off the disastrous Snyder era, and while things are going in the right direction I’m not sure they’re an appealing prospect. No QB, bad roster, stadium falling apart, nobody knows whether they’re even keeping the team name. I’d be wary about heading there if I was a top HC prospect.

They are looked at as a desirable landing spot according to reports.  Several high picks draft capital and a ton of cap space going into next season. Most of all a new ownership group 

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

We like to forget that not only our HC gig will be open!

There will be mulitple openings and ours is definately not the best one.

That’s a great point. People assume the  top candidates will be open to us and chose us. That hasn’t happened in our brief history with Mark

Im Assuming there’s gonna be at least 7 open HC jobs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

You're lying through your teeth. I 100% did not want to hire the Patriots guys. Did not like the hire to start. 

My choice was Dodd and Harbaugh and that can be backed by anyone here. 

All I ever supported was giving the people hired their time to show they can do the job. The rest were you types who like to create narratives and bend peoples words. 

But please, if you it helps you feel good about your sad life to create enemies with strangers this way, happy I can give that to you. 

Happy Holidays.....hope your mommy gives you that hug you desperately needed as a kid this year. 

And yet, in another thread you're saying the interim HC tasked with cleaning up the mess left behind by the jackass you defended to the hilt even after he lost to Jeff Saturday and that still wasn't enough ti get you to even question him, shouldn’t get an opportunity to show he can do his job if he's beaten this weekend by a Hall of Fame level HC with the best QB in the NFL? 

No, kiddo, that's not a "narrative" or any bent words This isn't some Jade Helm, Area 51, Sasquatch woo. This is your inconsistent "logic" and unsupported bias. See, the thing with you is I don't have to create a narrative about how terrible your takes are, you do that work for me. Sort of like when you accused me of first not saying anything about hiring McDaniels, then you say I did but it was a some defense of Carr- which...I don't know how else to say it, but "gross" has never been used as a defense of anyone in the history of the word. But, sure, it's obviously other people who bend your words. 

Hopefully daddy dearest didn't blow all his money in Vegas after getting canned and can still afford the Hooked on Phonics and paint by numbers books for you this holiday season. 

• Like 1