Fire Arthur Smith?

SoCalDirtyBird

The best way to look at it is this. 

Why is Pitts underperforming?

Why is London underperforming?

Why is Bijan underperforming?

Why is Ridder underpeforming?

It's not all on the QB. There's something really broken with the scheme and Arthur Smith's playcalling. The common thread here is Arthur Smith. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

The best way to look at it is this. 

Why is Pitts underperforming?

Why is London underperforming?

Why is Bijan underperforming?

Why is Ridder underpeforming?

It's not all on the QB. There's something really broken with the scheme and Arthur Smith's playcalling. The common thread here is Arthur Smith. 

I checked out with that run on 4th and 3 lol

What could have been if Heinicke (who is not even a good QB) had started the entire season is very sad to think about.

2nd half against TEN: lit it up, defense failed us big time.

Game against MIN: mistakes, but played well enough to win and we scored our most points on offense vs the 11th ranked D at the time. Defense again failed us big time.

Game against ARI: atrocious game for Heinicke and he got hurt. 1 good drive from Ridder was enough to get his job back going into the bye

Indianapolis: again, made mistakes but somehow we find a way to score more points than we’ve scored this year. Gem of a game by the defense, absolutely. But Ridder has also had gems from the defense and squandered them.

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird

On 12/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, SoCalDirtyBird said:

What could have been if Heinicke (who is not even a good QB) had started the entire season is very sad to think about.

2nd half against TEN: lit it up, defense failed us big time.

Game against MIN: mistakes, but played well enough to win and we scored our most points on offense vs the 11th ranked D at the time. Defense again failed us big time.

Game against ARI: atrocious game for Heinicke and he got hurt. 1 good drive from Ridder was enough to get his job back going into the bye

Indianapolis: again, made mistakes but somehow we find a way to score more points than we’ve scored this year. Gem of a game by the defense, absolutely. But Ridder has also had gems from the defense and squandered them.

Heinicke isn't good. Today is showing that. He had 1 good game, 1 good half and 3 bad ones. He's the same level as Ridder, just has more experience. 

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

Heinicke isn't good. Today is showing that. He had 1 good game, 1 good half and 3 bad ones. He's the same level as Ridder, just has more experience. 

I never said he was good. In fact, I’ve said the opposite on multiple occasions lol. But you can’t convince me that we wouldn’t have won more games if he was under center the entire season, we literally seem to score more points when he plays.

Bears defense just absolutely came to play today. Ridder came in and threw a pick too lol.

I'd say you couldn't convince me we would have won more games with Heinicke. We simply haven't had much good QB play this year, barring a few games. As alluded to earlier in the thread (and I think even on this page), I don't think the play calling has helped either player.

I'm team fire Smith, but realize he likely will be retained. I think there needs to be some changes on the offensive coaching side of things (which could be difficult as Smith could be seen as a lame duck, so interest COULD be low) along with a new QB. As scar's former colleague Aaron Freeman suggested, maybe moving Yates to QB coach and get a "true" WR coach would help. If Arthur won't relinquish play calling duties, he needs to bring in someone who talk him out of being too cute. I don't know, it's been another frustrating year, but at least Nielsen has been a good hire and the FA signings look good for the most part.

On 12/31/2023 at 7:35 PM, SoCalDirtyBird said:

I never said he was good. In fact, I’ve said the opposite on multiple occasions lol. But you can’t convince me that we wouldn’t have won more games if he was under center the entire season, we literally seem to score more points when he plays.

Bears defense just absolutely came to play today. Ridder came in and threw a pick too lol.

There's a reason this team lost almost every game Heinicke played in. A big part of it is that he can't sustain the offense on the field. Too many 3-and-outs. And Ridder won a lot of games late where Heinicke doesn't have hte gamer mentality in the 4th Ridder does. This team would have been worse, not better with him starting.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, BowlesDawgDX said:

I'd say you couldn't convince me we would have won more games with Heinicke. We simply haven't had much good QB play this year, barring a few games. As alluded to earlier in the thread (and I think even on this page), I don't think the play calling has helped either player.

I'm team fire Smith, but realize he likely will be retained. I think there needs to be some changes on the offensive coaching side of things (which could be difficult as Smith could be seen as a lame duck, so interest COULD be low) along with a new QB. As scar's former colleague Aaron Freeman suggested, maybe moving Yates to QB coach and get a "true" WR coach would help. If Arthur won't relinquish play calling duties, he needs to bring in someone who talk him out of being too cute. I don't know, it's been another frustrating year, but at least Nielsen has been a good hire and the FA signings look good for the most part.

I've been suggesting that on twitter a ton, actually. Move Yates to QB coach, bring in Shawn Jefferson for WR coach. 

• 4 weeks later...