Week 11 GDT: Bears vs. Lions

CBears019

So there's a funny scenario in which Poles or Warren/Next GM believe in Fields still but still get a pick #1.  One thing you could do is make sure you purchase the insurance, and when trading that #1 pick to a QB needy team you get at least their next years first round pick, and then you have two first round picks to be able to move up if he doesn't work out again in 2024.  It would be a hedge again, but also highlight how much time the Bears waste with years like last year and this year. 

On 11/21/2023 at 5:08 AM, Bigbear72 said:

Wow. So much to dissect here. First you mention drafting CW and then trading JF for a Russell Wilson haul. Sorry brother, but your logic is not even close to being based in the realm of reality. Seattle got that haul because of his previous accomplishments which include 19 Seahawk passing records, a Super Bowl title, 2 NFC Championships, 9 probowls, second team all pro, 11 NFC player of the week, just to name a few. You also mentioned JF's age. JF has been more injury prone than RW (at least up until that point). JF has not nearly accomplished enough to even be mentioned in the same breath of getting a haul like RW got for Seattle. Furthermore, if a team was willing to trade all that for JF, why not just attempt to trade up for one of the better prospects in this year's draft? 

Holding out hope for something and fully expecting something are different. But I do believe that JF has MORE than shown he has all the tools to dominate games at the position.

The schemes and formations here, not even mentioning the dreadful playcalling is keeping him from stacking success while achieving the necessary confidence to put his dam foot in the ground and let it go in TIGHT places !!

On paper I would have to agree that he has been more 'injury prone', but Seattle w Russ always had something to play for whereas JF would have played several more games that he ended up sitting,  as we were WAY out of contention

Why not just trade up in this Draft instead ? Bc outside of CW and DM there isn't a better prospect than JF in this Draft, and we are taking CW ourselves. That leaves one QB (DM) and if we lose our remaining 6 games we will then also control his destiny as well. 

I didn't realize there were 3 players in addition to all of the other picks seattle received for RW. What a FLEECE 🤣 If proper schemes and execution can allow for JF to stack successes build confidence and start winning games (MHjr esp or BB will help out TREmendously here),  2 FRPs a 2nd and a player is not out of sight ! esp for a 25 year old who everyone has already seen wreck defenses with his any-given-play homerun ability and his capacity to convert long OR short 3rd downs w his legs. 

On 11/21/2023 at 6:56 AM, Sugashane said:

He can't reach Wilson's level because he isn't a very good. Right now he hasn't been able to reach Andy Dalton's level as a starter, not even Cousins' level. Russ was a better processor as a rookie than Fields is now. Hackett was worse than Nagy or Getsy last year and this year he is outplaying Fields in spades, like usual. 

Since Fields took over the starting job he is 6-25 while his back ups are 6-7. His worst year was last year was better than Fields' best year. Wilson is unlikeable but the NFL is trying to win, not pay 8 figure deals per year to have buddies. How is Russ better? He's more accurate, MUCH more consistent, protects the ball better, gets rid of the ball better so he isn't constantly holding his offense back with unnecessary sacks, Russ uses his legs as a weapon while Fields uses his as a crutch for his poor passing, and for the talk of the wear and tear Wilson has, he is simply more durable. Fields can't stay healthy, Wilson has missed about as many games in his career than Fields has THIS year. And even if the argument is that Wilson isn't a great processor, the difference between his ability to process and Fields is greater than Wilson to Brady's. 

No one will give a 1st for Fields. I'd love to scam someone out of a premium pick but it just won't happen imo. 

one of our takes  will not age well, we'll see how she goes 🤞🏻

Saludos Amigo  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s worst case scenario as a fan, right?

If Justin plays the next 6 games like he played Sunday that decision will be much more complicated than fans think, even if we have the 1st pick. Fields was the best player on either offense on Sunday in a game that featured one of the best overall offenses in the NFL. He’s the reason we should have won the game. That’s the stuff you’re looking for! The appeal of Williams/Maye (or any high level QB prospect) is the high ceiling and perceived high floor. Fields still has that ceiling too. He’ll he just 25 next year. If he can show the next 6 weeks that he’s significantly raised the floor then the discussion with whatever new coach we probably have is completely different IMO. Ben Johnson just watched what Fields can do first hand, and I’m sure he is confident he can get more out of him than Getsy does. What we do at QB moving forward should 1000% be the choice of the next HC. Of course, if that new coach decides on his own that he wants to stick with Fields over the prospects Bears fans will neeeeeeeeeeeeever believe that was actually the case, but that’s a different discussion for a different day/thread. 

That Getsy and/or Flus completely took the game out of Fields’ hands in the 4Q (we ran 18 plays on offense in the 4Q - only 4 were called passes and Fields only attempted 1 pass (the dime to Scott that he stopped running for)) when he had cooked all damn day to that point was completely unconscionable. Forget conservatism - let your guy be the guy! Play to win the game, not survive it! I get trying to “preserve the win”, and that makes a ton of sense especially for a coach who needs to stack them to try to save his job, but you also just told us what you supposedly need to evaluate in your QB should you be able to actually save your job, and despite being presented with a golden opportunity to let him show you what he can do when it matters most you chose to not even give him the chance. Do they not realize the best chance they have to save their jobs is that Fields shows out the rest of the season??! Hell, they let Bagent pass to seal the game against CAR and he obviously isn’t the guy.

AGREE 

Even if JF plays out of his mind these final 6, we still MUST draft CW though. CW is generational and JFs shelf life is MUCH much shorter than other QBs, and he is already 3 years into career and takes more than his share of HITS (esp LATE ONES, wtf NFL ??!!!😡)   And if we ARE winning with Fields beginning next season, keeping him around another year or 2 with CW waiting in the wings is EXCEPTIONAL 

On 11/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, SLCbear said:

Even if JF plays out of his mind these final 6, we still MUST draft CW though.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Fields has already been really good 3 of his last 4 games (DEN, WSH & DET). That he missed 4 games in the middle of that stretch may make that somewhat hard for people to remember. If Justin finishes the year being really good in 8 or 9 of his last 10 then there won’t be a lot of question about whether he should continue to be our guy moving forward. I know a lot of people expect that a “franchise QB” is great every week, but in reality being really good 80% of the time would put him on par with the guys everyone considers to be the top QBs in the league. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This doesn’t make sense to me. Fields has already been really good 3 of his last 4 games (DEN, WSH & DET). That he missed 4 games in the middle of that stretch may make that somewhat hard for people to remember. If Justin finishes the year being really good in 8 or 9 of his last 10 then there won’t be a lot of question about whether he should continue to be our guy moving forward. I know a lot of people expect that a “franchise QB” is great every week, but in reality being really good 80% of the time would put him on par with the guys everyone considers to be the top QBs in the league. 

He has been pretty solid no denying that but I think one of my main concerns with Fields moving forward is the amount of punishment his body is going to take by continuing to play the style of QB he has been comfortable with.

Even when he's careful to slide he still manages to take unnecessary hits that should be flags more often than not but I mean 18 rushing attempts for a QB as we saw last week vs Det just doesn't seem to be a recipe for long term success 

What I want to see the most from Fields these last 6 games is to play well from within the pocket and not look to run so quickly. He needs to trust his arm and receivers more because he has the arm talent.

A few designed runs here and there is fine but when you make it a major part of your QB game plan I don't believe this is sustainable 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh no no, I totally believe that JF can be our guy ! I'm his biggest advocate  !!

I'm drafting CW because of the very HIGH  likelihood JF will have shortened career, he is already 3 yrs into what will likely be less that 10 years  AND the fact that we most likely will not  be drafting this high again for a very long time AND  to me CW is generational, can't miss prospect. We have 2 1sts, so let CW sit and develop behind JF for a while. Draft MHjr or BB to run w JF, all with new coaches of course 

Edited by SLCbear

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He has been pretty solid no denying that but I think one of my main concerns with Fields moving forward is the amount of punishment his body is going to take by continuing to play the style of QB he has been comfortable with.

29 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

I'm drafting CW because of the very HIGH  likelihood JF will have shortened career, he is already 3 yrs into what will likely be less that 10 years

I see this all the time about Fields, and I just don’t see it as the concern people make it out to be. Fields is a BIG kid. This isn’t Kyler Murray. He’s 6’3” 228lb. He’s bigger than basically every RB in football other than Derrick Henry and AJ Dillon.

Also, Jalen Hurts ran 165 times and was sacked 38 times in 2022, and is ahead of both paces this season. Josh Allen is in year 6 and has been over 100 carries each of his first 5 but his rookie year (he had 89 that year), and he runs to contact far more often than Fields does. When do you ever hear people expressing the same concerns about their longevity? 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I see this all the time about Fields, and I just don’t see it as the concern people make it out to be. Fields is a BIG kid. This isn’t Kyler Murray. He’s 6’3” 228lb. He’s bigger than basically every RB in football other than Derrick Henry and AJ Dillon.

Also, Jalen Hurts ran 165 times and was sacked 38 times in 2022, and is ahead of both paces this season. Josh Allen is in year 6 and has been over 100 carries each of his first 5 but his rookie year (he had 89 that year), and he runs to contact far more often than Fields does. When do you ever hear people expressing the same concerns about their longevity? 

Cam was big too, idk its just that we have never seen a mobile QB last past 10 years. 

I would draft CW and keep JF 2-4 more seasons, win games max out JF value and then trade him, hopefully for a haul. CW will play some along the way, when JF misses games due to injury and then he will take  over after JF trade

In 40 yrs of watching Bears football  I only remember us drafting in the top 3 twice (biscuit and this last Draft) we just don't ever draft this high !                and it would be a huge mistake imo to be at the top of this Draft while holding a 2nd top 5 pick in same Draft and  not to take a prospect like CW 

49 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Cam was big too, idk its just that we have never seen a mobile QB last past 10 years. 

I would draft CW and keep JF 2-4 more seasons, win games max out JF value and then trade him, hopefully for a haul. CW will play some along the way, when JF misses games due to injury and then he will take  over after JF trade

In 40 yrs of watching Bears football  I only remember us drafting in the top 3 twice (biscuit and this last Draft) we just don't ever draft this high !                and it would be a huge mistake imo to be at the top of this Draft while holding a 2nd top 5 pick in same Draft and  not to take a prospect like CW 

I wonder how this guy thinks keeping Fields for 2-4 more seasons AND drafting Williams makes any sense at all, between how that would work contractually and psychologically. Hey Caleb you might play 3-4 games a year for the next 4 years! Welcome! You're going to love it, and if you're good enough, it'll be 17 games a year. And Justin, should that happen, a team will definitely NOT give the Bears a haul as they'd have literally ALL of the leverage between the Bears having a better QB and wanting to get rid of that Fields contract. Besides that crap, you should definitely stay for a cheap deal with the #1 pick behind you rather than going elsewhere for not only more money but a better chance to start consistently!

Good god the ideas here sometimes are things that have literally never ever happened in the history of the league.

Edited by beardown3231

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is what being a proper HC looks like.

I'm still not sold on Campbell...and not just because of that mistake but I mean that was a brutal and unnecessary call at that point in the game that basically killed any chances of a comeback 

Kudos to him though I guess for taking full responsibility 

3 hours ago, SLCbear said:

17 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That's a fair point however I'm pretty sure both Jalen and Allen have been playing banged up this year.

I know Jalen was going through a lower body injury earlier this season and had a shoulder injury late last season, which I believe happened against us, that carried into the playoffs 

Lamar who also plays a similar style has had a lengthy injury history as well

It's just something worth noting.

I'm not saying we should take away that part of Fields' game when it presents a competitive advantage I would just prefer to see him evolve into more of a pocket passer. 

If he can nail that part down then the sky is the limit but it's been a mixed bag up to this point in that department 

14 hours ago, SLCbear said:

With all due respect, everything about this plan makes no sense. If you think Fields is the man then you don’t need CW, and if he’s not the man then why is he keeping CW on the bench? If Fields as a “running QB” has a limited shelf life how would his trade value be notably higher 2-4 years further down the road? Anything beyond 2 more years would require a contract extension, but realistically, why would you even pick up the 5th year option if you’ve drafted CW? That would never happen. If you do take CW, why would Fields want to even be in Chicago? You’ve just declared him not the future of the franchise by acquiring his replacement with the first overall pick. For the sake of what’s best for his career he’d certainly want to go somewhere he has the chance to be the long term guy. 

• Like 1