2023 Week 11 GDT 6-3 Steelers Visit 6-3 Browns

Steeler Hitman

38 minutes ago, AFF said:

Unpopular opinion…I know they won’t do it but I would seriously consider trading Watt.

This team needs draft capital and he’s about 30 and under contract through 2025.

Just my .02

Ive suggested it multiple times myself.

This team isnt going anywhere anytine during TJs prime.    We could probably get close to 2 firsts for TJ if we traded him this offseason.

People will scoff, and even I hate the IDEA because I absolutely love TJ, but we need to be real about where this team is.

It wont happen.    The egos running this team would never allow it.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I totally disagree.  You do not trade a player of Watts ability.  You will not replace him in the draft as soon as you think.

Watt is an elite player…no disagreement there….and I know you most likely don’t replace him straight up.

I look at it this way…Watt has huge cap hits next 2 years and is approaching 30…the team is in transition with the QB situation(and at least the OC) under heavy scrutiny.

Do You wanna give a 31 year old edge rusher another big $$$ deal?

what’s more valuable to them going forward?….Watt or say 2 1st round picks and the cap room created the next 2 offseason a which is $11.5 mill next offseason and then $21 mill the following year?

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

This team isnt going anywhere anytine during TJs prime.    We could probably get close to 2 firsts for TJ if we traded him this offseason.

People will scoff, and even I hate the IDEA because I absolutely love TJ, but we need to be real about where this team is.

TJ is wasting away here. This regime with tomlin is a waste  and TJ should ask for a trade.  How these players claim to like tomlin is a mystery - the teams are never good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I totally disagree.  You do not trade a player of Watts ability.  You will not replace him in the draft as soon as you think.

If TJ were 25 or 26....I would agree.   He will be 30 next year, and the team isnt likely going anywhere anytime soon.   Definitely not until at least 2025, and best case scenario is probably 27 or 28....in which case he will be 32 or 33, and probably declining by that point.

Its not necessarily about "replacing" HIM...its about acquiring the means of building the team in other areas, while trading away a guy who very likely isnt going to be quite the same player when we're competitive again....if at all.

Its like the Browns with Joe Thomas.    Obviously we arent as miserable as the Browns were during his tenure, but they held onto him instead of trading him away and had nothing to show for it except getting to gloat they had a hall of fame LT for a decade.

It doesn't matter though.   It will never happen.

Just for discussions sake.

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

TJ is wasting away here. This regime with tomlin is a waste  and TJ should ask for a trade.  How these players claim to like tomlin is a mystery - the teams are never good. 

They like Tomlin because he is a players coach.

That can be both a good thing and bad thing.

Lost in the shuffle:

In the 5 games Freiermuth was out, Heyward got 20 targets for 15 catches, averaging 4/3 per game.  He's what I would call the most direct replacement for Muth in that time.  Muth played close to the same number of snaps that Heyward had been playing and saw 1 target for 1 catch.

30 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its the same for Heyward.

Very good player but he’s going into last year of deal.

Rip the band aid off and use the $16 mill you save for a younger player(s) going forward.

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

They like Tomlin because he is a players coach.

That can be both a good thing and bad thing.

Media calls Tomlin a players coach. Other NFL coaches rave about his football knowledge/IQ and how much he knows the game. Sharing that knowledge with your players makes them appreciate and respect you more. Being open and honest with them earns their respect. 

Bill Belichik is one of the more strategic coaches in the game but many of his former players don't hold the person in high regard but respect the hell out of the coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

Its the same for Heyward.

Very good player but he’s going into last year of deal.

Rip the band aid off and use the $16 mill you save for a younger player(s) going forward.

This is an even harder sell than Watt and that was a tough one to start with.  With as many holes are as on this team you are creating even more and having the cap space does not guarantee that you use it.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Lost in the shuffle:

In the 5 games Freiermuth was out, Heyward got 20 targets for 15 catches, averaging 4/3 per game.  He's what I would call the most direct replacement for Muth in that time.  Muth played close to the same number of snaps that Heyward had been playing and saw 1 target for 1 catch.

Its why I scoffed at the idea of drafting another TE whenever everyone was acting like it would be a great idea.    Not sure why.

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Media calls Tomlin a players coach. Other NFL coaches rave about his football knowledge/IQ and how much he knows the game. Sharing that knowledge with your players makes them appreciate and respect you more. Being open and honest with them earns their respect. 

Bill Belichik is one of the more strategic coaches in the game but many of his former players don't hold the person in high regard but respect the hell out of the coach.

I've felt for a while that he's one of the only coaches where the public perception is MASSIVELY different from league perception.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This is an even harder sell than Watt and that was a tough one to start with.  With as many holes are as on this team you are creating even more and having the cap space does not guarantee that you use it.

Holding onto a 34 year old DE for 1 year doesn’t make sense.

It’s a tough choice but a necessary one.

Of course they’re going use the cap space…they’re only at $3 mill in cap space right now.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its why I scoffed at the idea of drafting another TE whenever everyone was acting like it would be a great idea.    Not sure why.

To me it's more an issue of a couple of things other than not taking him.  Like the utilization is weird.  It seems to be Canada "features" role players looking at "star" players as distractions.