2023 Week 11 GDT 6-3 Steelers Visit 6-3 Browns

Steeler Hitman

1 minute ago, 43M said:

I wouldn't say we "disagree" on OL.   I fully recognize blindside tackle is extremely important.   I  just began to realize how crucial a quality center is.    Every year since Jeff Hartings left that didn't include Pouncey has showcased that for us specifically.    Sean Mahan, Justin Hartwig, Kendrick Green, Mason Cole....ugh....

I think you are kind of oversimplifying what is needed while downplaying how much we actually need to really compete.

I dont think we are quite as close as you seem to believe, but its just our personal outlooks, I suppose.

You seem to be dismissing or at least severely downplaying the age factor when thats by far the biggest issue in all of this.

I'm certainly over simplifying because I just don't have the desire to go deep on details of things like some do.  But those are the cornerstones, and we drafted a guy that looks like he could become the LTotF and the Corner we need.  Watt is the EDGE you need.  So if you want to say technically we only have 1 of those SB 4 cornerstones I wouldn't argue, but there's potentially 2 in house.

I'm not dismissing age at all.  That's part of why I think Highsmith moving is the better move.  He's 26.  Younger and worth more to other teams because of that.  You would still get much more for Watt if you moved him.  

I guess I'm not as "strip it down to the studs" mentality that's going around.  From the feels of it the list of who would be out based on who's been brought up would be Kenny Pickett, Najee Harris, Dan Moore, Mason Cole, Allen Robinson, Diontae Johnson, Cam Heyward, Montravious Adams, TJ Watt, Levi Wallace, Patrick Peterson, One of Neal/Kazee.  And that doesn't really even get into the depth.  That's 50% of your starters turning over in one season.  

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Oh yea, there's a whole bunch of issues with that draft class.  Najee was a bad fit, I pounded the table that if you need to take a RB take Etienne because he's one cut, but oh well.

I was in favor of drafting Najee over Etienne. The player I really wanted, was Landon Dickerson. I was afraid of his knee injuries though as a #1.  If his knees were fine, he was a no brainer. I have been saying the Steelers need to draft a Center to replace Pouncey. That said my back-up was Quinn  Mienierz and I liked Tyler Biadiazz and Lloyd Cushinberry the previous years. 

@43M brought up a good point during our discussion back then about getting the OL straight before he would take a high RB. 

I do not believe that Najee is the problem for the offense and our rushing attack, but rather our OL is the problem.  I expected more from Cole, James, and Isaac. I thought that they would excel in run blocking and the pass blocking would be better. They were getting their butts handed to them many games ealry on. The pass blocking has been poor as Kenny is getting pressure straight up the middle as well as from the edge.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm certainly over simplifying because I just don't have the desire to go deep on details of things like some do.  But those are the cornerstones, and we drafted a guy that looks like he could become the LTotF and the Corner we need.  Watt is the EDGE you need.  So if you want to say technically we only have 1 of those SB 4 cornerstones I wouldn't argue, but there's potentially 2 in house.

I'm not dismissing age at all.  That's part of why I think Highsmith moving is the better move.  He's 26.  Younger and worth more to other teams because of that.  You would still get much more for Watt if you moved him.  

I guess I'm not as "strip it down to the studs" mentality that's going around.  From the feels of it the list of who would be out based on who's been brought up would be Kenny Pickett, Najee Harris, Dan Moore, Mason Cole, Allen Robinson, Diontae Johnson, Cam Heyward, Montravious Adams, TJ Watt, Levi Wallace, Patrick Peterson, One of Neal/Kazee.  And that doesn't really even get into the depth.  That's 50% of your starters turning over in one season.  

If you dont want to do a deep dive, so be it....but its necessary to make meaningful changes.  

And I dont think anyone expects all of them to be addressed in one offseason.    I think most fans realize 1/2 or 2/3s of those players will be back next year.    

But at the end of the day, Id take "Stripping down to the studs" over 5 more years of "Tomlin Tweaks".

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1726672709432787382?s=20

I could literally watch this all day long.  Seumalu creates a great wall.  Jones flips the hips and gets in there.  Najee runs ate the numbers on Jones' back.  Cole climbs and gets to the second level.  This is dart run to a T.  And the fact that it's a successful run inside, is what opens up Warrens run to the outside later when it goes out to the 9 rather than the 5 hole because the Browns guessed it wrong when we pulled guys for that run.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

If you dont want to do a deep dive, so be it....but its necessary to make meaningful changes.  

And I dont think anyone expects all of them to be addressed in one offseason.    I think most fans realize 1/2 or 2/3s of those players will be back next year.    

But at the end of the day, Id take "Stripping down to the studs" over 5 more years of "Tomlin Tweaks".

I wouldn't because stripping to the studs rarely works but we need more than a tweak...and I'm calling them Colbertweaks because that is looking more what it was like.

A really interesting thing I was looking at today:

Bringing in Brian Flores last year was one of the only times Tomlin and Rooney have said that Tomlin has walked into Art's office and said "let me sign this guy".  

Canada - "Why get the guy who runs the system when you can have the guy that designed it?", but he's never said that's what he wanted.  

Austin - "We like his familiarity with the players and the system", very little about how that's what he wanted in a DC.

Fitchner - "We're comfortable with his rapport with Ben". 

Butler - "He's been in line for this position for a long time."

Haley - This is the one Dan Moore stood up and said he was bringing him in because that's what we needed.

Like in 5 coordinators not once did we hear Tomlin ever talk about banging the table that we needed to hire them, at least publicly.  Under Cowher there was a lot of that as well.  A lot of going with who's in house, or someone they know from being with the team.  

Just an observation.

wonder what they'll do if austin leaves. we have some up and comers on the defensive coaching staff. Maybe one of them gets a crack at DC. Aaron Curry and Denzel martin come to mind. Maybe the tomlin tree starts with one of them in 3-4 years lol

Edited by August4th

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

wonder what they'll do is austin leaves. we have some up and comers on the defensive coaching staff. Maybe one of them gets a crack at DC. Aaron Curry and Denzel martin come to mind. Maybe the tomlin tree starts with one of them in 3-4 years lol

Grady Brown, secondary coach.

Also random, but funny how out sack numbers are down the minute Austin goes to 4 on the line and rushing and stops bringing an extra man or running anything different pre-snap.

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

A really interesting thing I was looking at today:

Bringing in Brian Flores last year was one of the only times Tomlin and Rooney have said that Tomlin has walked into Art's office and said "let me sign this guy".  

Canada - "Why get the guy who runs the system when you can have the guy that designed it?", but he's never said that's what he wanted.  

Austin - "We like his familiarity with the players and the system", very little about how that's what he wanted in a DC.

Fitchner - "We're comfortable with his rapport with Ben". 

Butler - "He's been in line for this position for a long time."

Haley - This is the one Dan Moore stood up and said he was bringing him in because that's what we needed.

Like in 5 coordinators not once did we hear Tomlin ever talk about banging the table that we needed to hire them, at least publicly.  Under Cowher there was a lot of that as well.  A lot of going with who's in house, or someone they know from being with the team.  

Just an observation.

it's funny how haley was the last outside hire for oc...but the dude grew up in the steelers facility with his dad, who worked with rooney for nearly 20 years! make a case haley was also a inside hire lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, August4th said:

it's funny how haley was the last outside hire for oc...but the dude grew up in the steelers facility with his dad, who worked with rooney for nearly 20 years! make a case haley was also a inside hire lol

I have been really hard pressed to think this is anything other than what the Rooney Family wants.

45 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1726684866618765688?s=20

The mysteries of this team are just getting deeper and deeper.  Now one of them knows who and what happened and won't share anything?  Add this on the mystery of what Chucks said.

once again the team is having drama/lockerroom issues. While this isn't  the killer B saga, it's headed in a direction that might be as bad if not corrected before it gets out of control. 

another one of tomlins teams it is afterall