LB Robert Spillane named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It’s another Gruden/Mayock situation where we don’t really know who pushed for what. Apparently McDaniels had final say like Gruden but I think it’s wrong to assume all the bad moves were McDaniels. I believe that Zeigler pushed back on Garoppolo and warned on Chandler Jones that apparently he had know issues, so that paints him in a less bad light but who did what with regard the other decisions is so difficult to ascertain without being in the building.

This lol

cant say jmd has final say then give props to dz for everything that didnt fail.

not to mention maxx and spill go way back

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If I understand correctly, it's Champ Kelly's fault as he was the assistant GM and therefore responsible for drafting players.

Joking aside, this is the result when you let the coach pick the GM. The coach ends up with roster control and accountability becomes muddy. Hoping Davis finds a quality GM this time around and let's him handle the coaching hire.

It takes a special coach I think to be able to command that responsibility and do it well. I don’t think Gruden or McDaniels earned that.

Gruden showed himself to be a good play caller and coach but a terrible roster builder at Tampa Bay and I think most of us recognised that. 

McDaniels simply had proved to be poor at roster construction in Denver and didn’t deserve that power.

A guy like Harbaugh I feel has earned that right, but it’s not many guys you can feel comfortable giving that power to, to be sure! Most coaches I feel should absolutely be accountable to a GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

It takes a special coach I think to be able to command that responsibility and do it well. I don’t think Gruden or McDaniels earned that.

Gruden showed himself to be a good play caller and coach but a terrible roster builder at Tampa Bay and I think most of us recognised that. 

McDaniels simply had proved to be poor at roster construction in Denver and didn’t deserve that power.

A guy like Harbaugh I feel has earned that right, but it’s not many guys you can feel comfortable giving that power to, to be sure! Most coaches I feel should absolutely be accountable to a GM.

In my view, the best organizations have great front offices. 

Save the 49ers set up which you can certainly argue Shanahan has had some terrible drafts, what other teams are succeeding with the HC having final control on the roster?

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

AP is the most player friendly coach I’ve seen. This type of stuff will help with FA recruitment 

You ever seen Andy Reid or Pete Carrol? 

There is a line. Will need more information to fully gauge, but walking that line between overly player friendly and holding people accountable is narrow. Pete and Reid are the models for this. Respected, players love them but they will hold you accountable. 

Love the approach with AP, just can't let it get to lax. If players lose focus and start getting content, things can unravel quick. Seen it with a lot of player friendly guys. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Most coaches are wired to think about the current season.  GMs tend to think 2-3 years ahead. It is a balance that successful organizations have. Coaches won’t blow up the team for the future and the GM wont keep the team from competing too late. When some coaches get GM powers, they tend not to care about the team 2-3 years ahead which leads to dead cap, bad signings, lost of draft picks. Bill Obrien most recently was the poster for coaches to not be GMs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

In my view, the best organizations have great front offices. 

Save the 49ers set up which you can certainly argue Shanahan has had some terrible drafts, what other teams are succeeding with the HC having final control on the roster?

The Chiefs? Ravens? Seahawks?

In the recent past the Pats, Saints, 49ers, Steelers I’d say.

It’s obviously not many, but there’s not many HCs who have the reputation, respect and track record to have that final say. I think all those likely did or had a very big hand in determining the picks.

(I’m not saying their GMs were redundant yes men, just the HC had a massive influence or ultimately final say in all likelihood).

Agree that a unified front office who know where they are, what their weaknesses are and where they’re heading are the best organisations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

AP is the most player friendly coach I’ve seen. This type of stuff will help with FA recruitment 

Do you think he might be a little too much the other way to McDaniels? I worry he might over compensate a bit……..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Most coaches are wired to think about the current season.  GMs tend to think 2-3 years ahead. It is a balance that successful organizations have. Coaches won’t blow up the team for the future and the GM wont keep the team from competing too late. When some coaches get GM powers, they tend not to care about the team 2-3 years ahead which leads to dead cap, bad signings, lost of draft picks. Bill Obrien most recently was the poster for coaches to not be GMs

I think you’re spot on there. It’s really tough to be focused on the here and now as a HC but also have one eye on the future and cap ramifications, long term plans etc. I think that’s why only a few have really made it work and only the very best coaches can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Do you think he might be a little too much the other way to McDaniels? I worry he might over compensate a bit……..

Only time will tell. Perhaps it is just a temporary thing due to all the fun of football being gone and the hardcore business atmosphere under JMD admin . Things like cigars, POTW parking, music in the locker room and at practices, Wednesday practices after a win etc

I understand why Practices start Wednesdays. We have a historical late bye week. Perhaps I’m wrong but week 13 bye is a super late. Guys have to be feeling the affects of it

• Like 1