Pitmasters clubhouse

NCOUGHMAN

I don’t know if we have a cooking thread for outdoor champs if so you can lock this up.

figured you can use this thread to exchange tips and techniques etc etc

I have a smoker that I cook on every Sunday I grill also

thanksgiving im smoking a brisket I bought from a local farm

Ps I think using propane is cheating 

• Like 3

I have a pellet smoker/grill that makes everything better, it’s magic. 

im getting myself a black stone for Xmas and already have a fireplace grill… I hope to be cooking outdoors full time by fall 2024 when my brick oven is complete 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Dome said:

I have a pellet smoker/grill that makes everything better, it’s magic. 

im getting myself a black stone for Xmas and already have a fireplace grill… I hope to be cooking outdoors full time by fall 2024 when my brick oven is complete 

I go wood I have oak, plum, maple and some special apricot I haven’t tried yet

23 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. Did it for the first time last year and it was incredible.

I’m in love with brisket so ima try that this thanksgiving but I usually go turkeys might get a couple legs just because 

what do you use wood, pellets?

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m in love with brisket so ima try that this thanksgiving but I usually go turkeys might get a couple legs just because 

what do you use wood, pellets?

I just go with lump charcoal with a few wood chunks. Still go with the 24 hour brine, an AP rub, and injections. Excited to do it again.

53 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

@Devilshark69 talking about smoked Mac n cheese and my ole lady acting like a brat. I might just handle the mac n cheese this year on the smoker. I need to find a good recipe. That would hella piss her off lol

I like cuisinart rubs, they got some good mixes.(of course I can mix my own too.lol) but 2 I highly recommend are their Nashville hot and the other is called dark coffee roast. That one we tried first with brisket and it was bomb, but on some bird? Definitely my fave and it’s not close, amazing flavor in that rub, sounds funny at first but when me and my son first tried it straight outta the shaker we both agreed they absolutely nailed it. Sweet? Check! Savory? Check! Right hint of coffee flavor? Absolutely perfect! Give it a try and I guarantee you likes brother!! 👍👍

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

@Devilshark69 talking about smoked Mac n cheese and my ole lady acting like a brat. I might just handle the mac n cheese this year on the smoker. I need to find a good recipe. That would hella piss her off lol

I made a smoked Mac about two months ago. It is worth every second of it. Have fun with the cheeses too. I used Muenster, Gruyere, and Gouda on my last one and it was perfect.  

Looking to get a Traeger or another pellet smoker this winter.  Would love to do more things, but with trying to set the fire with the Big Green Egg in the winter time along the Chesapeake bay is a challenge to say the least.  Also feel with my schedule it’s easier to set it and forget it.  I think the girlfriend wants me to do the thanksgiving turkey on the BGE this year though.  

I have a great recipe for a queso dip that I’ve done, and I also did a bread pudding on it.  However, my favorite thing has to be Baltimore-style pit beef.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Looking to get a Traeger or another pellet smoker this winter.  Would love to do more things, but with trying to set the fire with the Big Green Egg in the winter time along the Chesapeake bay is a challenge to say the least.  Also feel with my schedule it’s easier to set it and forget it.  I think the girlfriend wants me to do the thanksgiving turkey on the BGE this year though.  

I have a great recipe for a queso dip that I’ve done, and I also did a bread pudding on it.  However, my favorite thing has to be Baltimore-style pit beef.  

Traeger is definitely top of the line, I went with the pit boss from Walmart. Smoker/grill on bottom with the 4rack cabinet up above. I used to spend a lot of time grilling steaks for a living, so I admit I’m a char line nut, like my steaks looking and tasting good. A friend showed me a pit boss he had which has a kinda louver opening system for the center, when you open it up it heats the grates for excellent charring/marking. And fwiw, I’ve owned it 2 yrs now, frequently used and no issues. Just depends on whether you like char marks or not. That was my only issue with the traeger. But that’s a ME issue, not traeger. My brother in law has one and he loves it!! Definitely worth it. And one thing that’s awesome about the pellet smokers is how efficient the system is. Great heat/smoke flavor and hardly any ash to clean up after. I was amazed at that part.👍👍

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Traeger is definitely top of the line, I went with the pit boss from Walmart. Smoker/grill on bottom with the 4rack cabinet up above. I used to spend a lot of time grilling steaks for a living, so I admit I’m a char line nut, like my steaks looking and tasting good. A friend showed me a pit boss he had which has a kinda louver opening system for the center, when you open it up it heats the grates for excellent charring/marking. And fwiw, I’ve owned it 2 yrs now, frequently used and no issues. Just depends on whether you like char marks or not. That was my only issue with the traeger. But that’s a ME issue, not traeger. My brother in law has one and he loves it!! Definitely worth it. And one thing that’s awesome about the pellet smokers is how efficient the system is. Great heat/smoke flavor and hardly any ash to clean up after. I was amazed at that part.👍👍

I was also looking at the sams club pellet as a starter one, but my friend works for a company that sells all kinds of grills so I was going to get the employee discount so figured I would go big.  I love grill marks too, I use grill grates.  If I do a tomahawk, I will indirectly smoke it to 110 on the BGE and will set a fire right before it hits there in my Weber kettle and switch it right over to sear it to 125-130.

• Like 1