2024 Draft Thread

tyler735

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Great pick by the Saints! Rattler is someone I’ve been advocating for quite a bit. Glad to see the Saints also liked him. Thought he had the talent to go day 2 and could be our QB of the future 

Yeah I felt Day 2 was way too early for Rattler and 100% didn't want him in that range.  In the 5th round it's a good pick.  Especially since the 2nd was KoolAid.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raves said:

Yeah I felt Day 2 was way too early for Rattler and 100% didn't want him in that range.  In the 5th round it's a good pick.  Especially since the 2nd was KoolAid.

With the absurd amount of QB’s being drafted in the 1st round it seems Rattler’s value dropped a bit. Also sounds like his high school reality show clips on QB1 dropped him for a lot of teams lmao (so stupid).

Would have had no problem trading into round 3 for him, but this is absolute best case scenario. Excellent value on a 3 of our picks so far. 

Edited by tyler735

On 4/4/2024 at 8:43 AM, tyler735 said:

His 2 biggest issues are the occasional mental lapse, and he seems to be good for a couple errant throws every game. I'm hoping part of this is simply due to the insane amount of pressure he faced in just about every game with South Carolina's patchwork OL and that some of these weaknesses were magnified because of it.

I can't agree that he throws to wide open WR's almost every play. His best throws throughout the season are up there with any prospect in this draft. Shows an ability to throw with anticipation, layer his throws with different velocities, throw into tight windows, shows plenty of elusiveness to move around and make plays with his legs or throw on the run, not afraid to stay let it rip even when he's about to take a big hit, and has a ton of overall arm talent to make some crazy throws. This is a guy that could be a late day 2 pick (minimal investment for a QB), but has the ceiling to be a good starter in the NFL. Or he could flop and we'd only be out a 3rd round pick, which isn't the end of the world with Carr still on the team for at least the next year or two.

Here's a some of my favorite throws from Rattler and a game vs Florida that highlights several NFL caliber throws and shows his ability to deal with a ton of pressure.

When he had time in the pocket at Oklahoma. Puts this one on the money almost 65 yards in the air.

Post I made on Rattler a couple weeks ago highlighting some of his abilities for those that are curious about what he is capable of. So much arm talent if he can just hone in the decision making a little bit more.

Bub Means seems like a decent pick. Good size and athletic combo. Seems a little stiff as a route runner, which I’d imagine is why he’s being picked in the 5th round. Looks like he can get downfield well and make plays also big enough to hopefully be a solid run blocker. 

Jaylan Ford was a Butkus Award finalist at LB this past season. Tons of tackles the past 2 years at Texas and quite a few splash plays (6 interceptions) the past 2 seasons as well. Worth a shot at this stage in the draft. Could definitely use another LB.

16 hours ago, JMG5 said:

If they can come out of Day 3 with another offensive lineman, a run stuffing DT, and maybe a WR then I'd be happy with the draft. At this point getting a stud pass rusher isn't going to happen, so I've got to be realistic with my expectations. 

And they did all of that. I'm pleased. I don't know a ton about the prospects, but they hit on the positions I thought were realistic while also taking a flyer on a QB.

Given the minimal draft capital early, I would give this draft a solid B+. Now to see if the prospects actually work out. 

7 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

And they did all of that. I'm pleased. I don't know a ton about the prospects, but they hit on the positions I thought were realistic while also taking a flyer on a QB.

Given the minimal draft capital early, I would give this draft a solid B+. Now to see if the prospects actually work out. 

This isn't going to be the 2017 draft, but it's one of those drafts that you need to keep your roster solid year in and year out.  

Overall this is probably the best I’ve felt about a draft in awhile especially considering we didn’t have a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Fuaga was rated right around the 10th best player on most big boards. So to get a player rated that high at our biggest position of need was a great outcome.

Kool-Aid was maybe not a huge need, but a tremendous value. Going into last season he was widely viewed as the top CB in the draft. For whatever reason his ranking dropped slightly as the season went on, but still widely  viewed as a top 3 CB by many draft publications and a top 25 player overall. 

Rattler was another excellent value and in my opinion helped negate some of the issue of not having 3rd/4th round picks as he was widely viewed as a day 2 (2nd round talent according to some, which I agree with) talent.  Getting a talent like him in the 5th round is crazy.

Bub Means is a decent pick. Sounds like he’s very willing to get physical and be an asset as a run blocking receiver that has the size and athleticism to make plays down field. In the 5th round seems like a solid guy to bring in.

Jaylan Ford was a good value and I thought could have been a 4th round pick. Butkus award finalist and very productive heart of the defense type player for one of the top defenses in the nation. Tons of tackles and splash plays from him the past 2 years. Just an average athlete for a LB which is likely the only reason he dropped to us in the 5th round, but plenty athletic to be a solid NFL player.

Khristian Boyd was someone I was hoping we would bring in on day 3. Seemed like he was generating a lot of buzz as a day 3 sleeper, so I was worried he wouldn’t fall to us in the 6th round, but thankfully he was there. Could see him being our next Shy Tuttle type diamond in the rough DT.

Josiah Ezirim honestly no idea who he is, but adding another OL doesn’t sound like a bad idea. We’ve had some luck with small school sleepers in the past late in drafts/undrafted.

Dallin Holker was a great undrafted free agent addition. I was a bit surprised we didn’t draft a TE, so getting Holker was a pretty nice pick up. He was a Mackey award finalist this past season, and may just find himself a roster spot. Many draft sites had him as an early day 3 pick, so another great value to get him as an undrafted free agent.

• Like 2

Here’s some Dallin Holker highlights. As mentioned in my previous post was a Mackey Award finalist this season. He looks like he could be our next undrafted gem of a player that makes an impact for us. Several nice catches and plays made after the catch in his highlights

5 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Watched a clip of Jason Kelce talking up Fuaga and I must say, I'm incredibly hyped now.

Yeah many thought he was the best run blocking OL in the draft. With Kubiak taking over and saying he wants us to be dominant in the run game, I can't help but think Fuaga is going to be huge for guys like Kendre Miller and Alvin Kamara. 

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah many thought he was the best run blocking OL in the draft. With Kubiak taking over and saying he wants us to be dominant in the run game, I can't help but think Fuaga is going to be huge for guys like Kendre Miller and Alvin Kamara. 

Kubiak is probably going to be good for Penning too.  I really hope he comes around.  He has the physical tools to be a stud, he just needs to get the technique down.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

Kubiak is probably going to be good for Penning too.  I really hope he comes around.  He has the physical tools to be a stud, he just needs to get the technique down.

Yeah I’m still holding out hope for that as well. Pretty much Pennings last chance this year. Hope he’s able to take advantage of it. Would be huge for our OL in general if Penning is even just solid at LT this year.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:08 PM, tyler735 said:

Overall this is probably the best I’ve felt about a draft in awhile especially considering we didn’t have a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Fuaga was rated right around the 10th best player on most big boards. So to get a player rated that high at our biggest position of need was a great outcome.

Kool-Aid was maybe not a huge need, but a tremendous value. Going into last season he was widely viewed as the top CB in the draft. For whatever reason his ranking dropped slightly as the season went on, but still widely  viewed as a top 3 CB by many draft publications and a top 25 player overall. 

Rattler was another excellent value and in my opinion helped negate some of the issue of not having 3rd/4th round picks as he was widely viewed as a day 2 (2nd round talent according to some, which I agree with) talent.  Getting a talent like him in the 5th round is crazy.

Bub Means is a decent pick. Sounds like he’s very willing to get physical and be an asset as a run blocking receiver that has the size and athleticism to make plays down field. In the 5th round seems like a solid guy to bring in.

Jaylan Ford was a good value and I thought could have been a 4th round pick. Butkus award finalist and very productive heart of the defense type player for one of the top defenses in the nation. Tons of tackles and splash plays from him the past 2 years. Just an average athlete for a LB which is likely the only reason he dropped to us in the 5th round, but plenty athletic to be a solid NFL player.

Khristian Boyd was someone I was hoping we would bring in on day 3. Seemed like he was generating a lot of buzz as a day 3 sleeper, so I was worried he wouldn’t fall to us in the 6th round, but thankfully he was there. Could see him being our next Shy Tuttle type diamond in the rough DT.

Josiah Ezirim honestly no idea who he is, but adding another OL doesn’t sound like a bad idea. We’ve had some luck with small school sleepers in the past late in drafts/undrafted.

Dallin Holker was a great undrafted free agent addition. I was a bit surprised we didn’t draft a TE, so getting Holker was a pretty nice pick up. He was a Mackey award finalist this past season, and may just find himself a roster spot. Many draft sites had him as an early day 3 pick, so another great value to get him as an undrafted free agent.

You guys had an excellent draft getting value or a steal at every pick except 1 imo. I had Bub means graded as udfa WR#37 I think not in my top 30 for sure. Good luck! Great picks!

• Like 1