2024 Draft Thread

tyler735

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raves said:

Isn't Kendre Miller a pass-catching RB?  I think Miller was drafted as the heir to Kamara's role on the offense.  

Miller is more in line with a Breece Hall or Jonathan Taylor type RB in that regard. Capable of being a threat as a receiver out of the backfield, but not as refined as a guy like Kamara as a pass catcher. Miller is bigger and more explosive as a runner. More of a traditional workhorse type build.

We would still could use another RB especially since this will likely be Kamara’s last season with us. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Kamara is traded this year. Spending a day 3 pick would make sense on a guy like Dylan Laube.

Edited by tyler735

This is a huge detail with the Chase Young signing. We now have the ability to sign 1 or 2 more solid free agents. If we are able to bring in a quality OL signing, it would put us in a much better position to truly go BPA at pick #14. If a guy like Brock Bowers were to fall to us We’d be in a much better position to draft him with this extra cap space to hopefully address the OL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some interesting prospects popping up for players the Saints have met with during the draft process so far:

Jayden Daniels

Cooper Dejean

Chop Robinson

Brian Thomas

Keon Coleman

Malachi Corley

Braden Fiske

Byron Murphy

T’vondre Sweat

Christian Mahogany

Dylan Laube

Marshawn Lloyd

Jatavion Sanders

Bralen Trice

Tez Walker

Caleb Bullock

Jaden Hicks

Kris Abrams-Draine

Marshawn Kneeland 

Josh Cephus 

Braiden McGregor

Khristian Boyd

Jalyx Hunt

Mark Perry

Justin Blazek

Jordan Magee

Steele Chambers

Jha'Quan Jackson

Michael Pratt

Edited by tyler735

OL was always was above DE imo. This Ramczyk news only makes it an even bigger need than it was before. 

The timing of the news strikes me as very odd. Seems like something that should have waited until after the draft to announce, so it doesn’t make our draft plans “clear”. Unless the team is looking to send a bit of a smokescreen here with the hopes of leading a team drafting around us thinking we are all in on OL when a guy like Bowers might be the end goal here for the Saints.

We currently have about 10 million in cap space and also a couple restructure options to add to that even further if need be. Theoretically if we were to bring back Andrus Peat and sign a guy like Dalton Risner to occupy our LT and LG spots, they could definitely be viable options for the next 2-3 years.

Peat was solid enough at LT for us. Risner would also be a solid addition. We would then have just RT to address via the draft. Plus we’d give ourselves 1 more year to see if Penning or Saldiveri can develop into decent players. Both of whom could be potential options at RT. We also added Oli Udoh who can play a few different spots on the OL, but has been at his best at RT.

Point being, I would be okay with us going with a bridge guy like Peat at LT if it meant we were in the hunt for one of the best if not best TE prospects ever in Brock Bowers. A guy that has the potential to be a Gronk/Kelce type impact player for 10+ years.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

OL was always was above DE imo. This Ramczyk news only makes it an even bigger need than it was before. 

The timing of the news strikes me as very odd. Seems like something that should have waited until after the draft to announce, so it doesn’t make our draft plans “clear”. Unless the team is looking to send a bit of a smokescreen here with the hopes of leading a team drafting around us thinking we are all in on OL when a guy like Bowers might be the end goal here for the Saints.

We currently have about 10 million in cap space and also a couple restructure options to add to that even further if need be. Theoretically if we were to bring back Andrus Peat and sign a guy like Dalton Risner to occupy our LT and LG spots, they could definitely be viable options for the next 2-3 years.

Peat was solid enough at LT for us. Risner would also be a solid addition. We would then have just RT to address via the draft. Plus we’d give ourselves 1 more year to see if Penning or Saldiveri can develop into decent players. Both of whom could be potential options at RT. We also added Oli Udoh who can play a few different spots on the OL, but has been at his best at RT.

Point being, I would be okay with us going with a bridge guy like Peat at LT if it meant we were in the hunt for one of the best if not best TE prospects ever in Brock Bowers. A guy that has the potential to be a Gronk/Kelce type impact player for 10+ years.

I had them 1a and 1b prior to hearing this news. Before I had read that they were optimistic about his health going into the season and figured we could get close to the same amount of games played from him. Now, OL is a clear 1 need. I wouldn't be against them double dipping in the first two rounds if they like the players available or signing a guy they think can fill a hole like you mentioned. Too many question marks with Ramczyk possibly being out the entire year and Peat likely being gone. You have no proven players outside of C and RG.

As for Bowers, I don't want him. Better positional value will be available at 14 and we don't have the luxury of gambling that pick on a TE with all of the OL/DL talent that should be available. He could be Kelce/Gronk or he could be like every other hyped TE that has been drafted early in the draft for the last decade. Let another team take that gamble.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JMG5 said:

As for Bowers, I don't want him. Better positional value will be available at 14 and we don't have the luxury of gambling that pick on a TE with all of the OL/DL talent that should be available. He could be Kelce/Gronk or he could be like every other hyped TE that has been drafted early in the draft for the last decade. Let another team take that gamble.

Kyle Pitts was a 1,000 yard receiver as a rookie and has had a combination of terrible QB play and a knee injury hindering him the past couple years. Carr is a much better QB than Ridder and Mariota. Injuries can obviously happen to any player regardless of position. Brock Bowers while an excellent athlete for the position is far better as a receiver than Pitts was as a prospect. Pitts was very much a physical freak that was more projection than production compared to Bowers. 

TJ Hockenson was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best TE in the league before getting injured last season.

Dalton Kincaid was the first TE taken in the draft last year and a 1st round pick and looks like a great weapon for the Bills for years to come. Sam Laporta was taken 34th overall and already could be argued as a top 5 TE. Neither of those guys looked as good as Bowers does coming out this season both from an athletic/prospect standpoint and a production standpoint in college. I consider Brock Bowers to be a better prospect than any of these recent TE’s listed.

This draft has (what most media/draftniks seem to agree on) 4 true blue chip prospects. Those prospects are: Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr, Brock Bowers, and Joe Alt. If we are in a position to land Bowers or Alt, we would be incredibly stupid to pass on them.

Here’s a great thread highlighting just how dominant Bowers has been in just about every aspect of his game

Edited by tyler735

Posted (edited)

My absolute pipe dream scenario for this draft would be to land:

Brock Bowers TE Georgia (pick #14)

Would be among the 5 most talented prospects in this draft. With the run of QB's and WR's projected to happen early on, there's a chance he could slip further than he should. He's arguably the best TE prospect to ever come out of the draft. With the loss of Michael Thomas, the team is in need of a receiving threat that can get tough contested catches to move the chains (also has the explosive ability to break big chunk plays as well). That is something Bowers should be able to provide right away, but he also has the versatility to play a bit like Taysom Hill (minus being a QB) in that he can play in the slot, as a traditional TE, out wide as a WR, or even in the backfield as a threat to run the ball. He is also a solid blocker and should help our RB's out in the run game. Has the potential to be an elite TE, which seems to be a common theme among the best teams in the NFL most seasons. 

Graham Barton OT/OG Duke (Pick #45)

This is a team that definitely needs help on the OL. One could definitely argue we should go OL in the 1st and 2nd round, but if a "generational talent" like Bowers falls to you in the draft, especially at a position of need at TE, I just don't think we can pass on him. There are other ways to strengthen our OL heading into the season. Getting a guy like Graham Barton who has versatility to play multiple spots on the OL, would be very helpful for us especially with the unknown developmental situations with guys like Trevor Penning, and Nick Saldiveri. I do still have some hope that a new OC and OL coach could maybe help some of our younger OL develop. I also think that we could bring in guys like Andrus Peat and even Dalton Risner to shore up the OL if need be after the draft.

Spencer Rattler QB South Carolina (3rd round- Trade up with one of our 5th round picks, 7th round pick, and next years 3rd)

I think we're at a point where it's highly unlikely we take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. However if Spencer Rattler was to fall to the 3rd round, I think it would be a great opportunity to trade up into the 3rd round to grab him. He possesses a ton of talent, but I think circumstance has been his biggest hinderance over his college career. He had a great freshman season at Oklahoma and looked like the next big thing at QB, but had Caleb Williams sitting behind him his Sophomore year and after a bad outing, Caleb Williams took over and was the guy the rest of the season at Oklahoma. Rattler then transferred to South Carolina where he had some great performances, but also had some games where he struggled. He played the toughest strength of schedule of any team in the nation this past year and had pretty much every OL out with injury leading to several inexperienced freshman blocking for him. According to many reports, he looked like the best QB during Senior Bowl practice week and also had a great pro day. Had he remained at Oklahoma instead of transferring to South Carolina where he'd have had a better supporting cast, I think there's a good chance he would be among the top rated QB's in this class. A 3rd round pick isn't a huge investment if he fails, but I do think he could be the next Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott type mid round success story at QB. 

Christian Jones OT Texas (5th round)

As mentioned earlier, we need help on the OL. Christian Jones is a guy I think could develop into a serviceable option at RT. Has tons of experience over the past few years starting at RT at Texas who have had some of their best offensive performances in quite some time over the past few years. As a day 3 option, he's worth a shot to see if he can develop into a decent OL option or at least be a solid depth guy. He wouldn't be expected to start for us as a rookie. I think we have other players that could slot into that RT spot initially.  We have also spent some time with him this offseason, so I think he is a legit possibility to be drafted by the team.

Khristian Boyd DT Northern Iowa (5th round)

Seems he's a sleeper that is gaining some buzz as the draft approaches. With the loss of Shy Tuttle, he could hopefully develop into his replacement and be another late round/undrafted gem for us. It appears we have met with him as well this offseason. 

Dylan Laube RB New Hampshire (5th round)

This guy is one of my favorite day 3 sleeper prospects in the draft. He's easily the best receiving RB in this draft class. His size, speed, and versatility combo is very similar to Alvin Kamara. I'm not saying he will be as good as Kamara, but he offers some similar skillsets to implement. I think this will be Kamara's last season with the Saints given his age and contract situation. With Kubiak taking over as OC, I definitely expect him to try to get a weapon to work with like Laube that can lineup in different spots and be a legit pass catching threat out of the backfield. Laube runs legit receiver routes and is a big play threat any time he touches the ball. Given his age and playing for a small school, I expect him to be a day 3 pick, but should be able to make an impact in the NFL. He's another guy the Saints have met with this offseason.

Edefuan Ulofoshio LB Washington (6th round)

Wouldn't be opposed to us bringing in another LB in the draft. With the signing of Willie Gay, it's no longer a huge need, but doesn't hurt to have another athletic LB with some potential to develop. Ulofoshio played on a Washington team that made it to the National Championship this past season. He played very well for Washington this past season. He's a bit older and had injury issues in 2021 and 2022. Also slightly undersized, so I do think he's very much a day 3 prospect. However, he's a good athlete that can cover quite a bit of ground. His athletic profile isn't too different from some of our other successful LB's over the past 10-15 years. Seems to do a little of everything as a LB. Solid tackler, solid in coverage, and can rush the passer a little bit as well. Definitely worth taking a chance on to develop late in the draft.

Jha'quan Jackson WR Tulane (6th round)

We already have some young talented WR's in Olave and Shaheed with AT Perry also looking solid to close out last season. We added Cedrick Wilson in free agency as well, so WR isn't a big need. However in the 6th round, adding a guy like Jackson to the mix would provide a little more competition for our 4th/5th WR slots. He's a dynamic WR that is a threat to make plays deep and with the ball in his hands. Could be this years Rashid Shaheed type late round/undrafted gem. The Saints have also met with him this offseason and would be a fan favorite with his background at Tulane. 

Edited by tyler735

On 4/2/2024 at 9:31 PM, tyler735 said:

Lol what’s wrong with Rattler?

I really don't think he's that good.  Even looking at the video you posted, almost everything was either wide open throws with him just throwing to WRs waiting for the ball or some overthrows with WRs making great leaping catches.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raves said:

I really don't think he's that good.  Even looking at the video you posted, almost everything was either wide open throws with him just throwing to WRs waiting for the ball or some overthrows with WRs making great leaping catches.

His 2 biggest issues are the occasional mental lapse, and he seems to be good for a couple errant throws every game. I'm hoping part of this is simply due to the insane amount of pressure he faced in just about every game with South Carolina's patchwork OL and that some of these weaknesses were magnified because of it.

I can't agree that he throws to wide open WR's almost every play. His best throws throughout the season are up there with any prospect in this draft. Shows an ability to throw with anticipation, layer his throws with different velocities, throw into tight windows, shows plenty of elusiveness to move around and make plays with his legs or throw on the run, not afraid to stay let it rip even when he's about to take a big hit, and has a ton of overall arm talent to make some crazy throws. This is a guy that could be a late day 2 pick (minimal investment for a QB), but has the ceiling to be a good starter in the NFL. Or he could flop and we'd only be out a 3rd round pick, which isn't the end of the world with Carr still on the team for at least the next year or two.

Here's a some of my favorite throws from Rattler and a game vs Florida that highlights several NFL caliber throws and shows his ability to deal with a ton of pressure.

When he had time in the pocket at Oklahoma. Puts this one on the money almost 65 yards in the air.

Edited by tyler735

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit absent, and lurking in the background just reading ya'll's takes on the draft.

In short, good stuff! There's a lot to take away, and I'm excited to see how this draft goes without antsy Sean Payton wanting to trade up every damn time for a long-shot sleeper that could be had a round or 2 later.

Cheers!!