2024 NFL Draft Thread

Tetsujin

My meaningless thoughts on draft:

Round 1:  It hurt my heart when Pitt took Fautanu at 20.  He was the dream scenario.  Tough for me to understand that this FO does not value IOL like that.  I do like Chop though.  We saw how impossible it is to win in this league when you have guys off the street trying to pressure the QB late in the season.  Chop will slide immediately into the rotation and does have immense upside for the future.  He also provides some security in case Chubb or Phillips cannot return to their pre-injury forms.  I already stated that my biggest gripe with this pick is that the Fins supposedly had multiple teams trying to trade up to this pick.  Without a 3rd or 4th rounder this year, that seemed like a really good opportunity.  Grade: B

Round 2:  I don't actually love Paul as a prospect.  That said, I've been really wrong on OT prospects lately (thought Alex Leatherwood would be a great RT for years).  He's obviously got all the tools to be a successful LT, and I love that Grier essentially brought in Armstead's hopeful replacement a year early.  Armstead is a really good mentor.  Let the kid get professional coaching and learn some nuances from Armstead and see if he can blossom.  Certainly not ideal if he is the one taking starts in '24 when Armstead inevitably misses time, but Lamm was brought back for a reason there.  Grade C+

Round 3:  None

Round 4:  With 3 3rd rounders next year (all theoretically late 3rd rounders), the Fins used one to jump into the 4th round this year and take Jaylen Wright who they had a 2nd round value on.  In going with the theme of the draft, it was a pick that sets the team up for the future loss of a key player.  This one being Mostert.  Wright is about as close to Mostert as you can get.  Very, very similar players.  Obviously he has elite speed, but I was most impressed with his pass pro.  It's really good.  Wright is also immediate depth for '24 when Mostert and/or Achane are hurt.  This offense just isn't the same when a guy like Ahmed is toting the rock.  I like the player and I like the thought process here. It doesn't really matter whether they dealt for the 1st pick in the 4th or the 30th, as long as they got their guy.  Grade B+ 

Round 5:  Kamara was a flat-out steal and this stage.  Strangely enough, he reminds me of yet another current Dolphin in Shaq Barrett, but more athletic.  Extremely productive in college and he tested really well.  He's short for an edge, otherwise the Fins never would have had a chance at him here.  I think he immediately joins the EDGE rotation and plays meaningful snaps.  That's really hard to get from a 5th rounder and tremendous value.  Grade A+

Round 6a:  Malik Washington was also a flat-out steal.  I have no idea how he made it that far.  He catches everything.  He's got solid speed with a 4.47 40.  He runs good routes.  He can make contested catches in traffic.  He's explosive with a 42 inch vertical and a broad jump over 10 feet.  He has great balance and body control. He routinely creates separation, which we all know is huge in this offense.  He looks like a very good bet to be in the WR rotation for the foreseeable future.  Grade A

Round 6b:  I have no idea who Patrick McMorris is.  Never heard of him.  His highlights are minimal and he tested poorly in what tests we have.  With that said, it's a late 6th rounder so hopefully the staff things he has the makings of a good ST guy for some reason.  Grade C-

Round 7:  Tahj Washington was a solid grab with a 7th round pick in the hopes that he can compete to win the return duties.  Don't see him cracking the WR rotation though.  Grade B-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was not aware of who Kamara is, but I am now, highlights can make anyone look good but man there are a lot of them to look at. He looked like a man amongst boys many times which tells me he can compete at this level. I didn’t hate the Chop Robinson pick but didn’t love it either, this pick, in the 5th round no less, I love. 

I love the Jaylen Wright pick as well, RBs can wear down over a season and we have a stable of home run hitters. I like it.

I wonder if they view Malik Washington as a potential replacement for Waddle. I know they picked up his 5th year option and I want him on the team but I can see the cold business side of the NFL turning its eye to Waddle. I wish they had wrapped him up long term when Smith got his deal in Philly. Likely nothing happens till Tua is locked in.