2024 NFL Draft Thread

Tetsujin

54 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Pretty big reach imo. Not as big as a reach as Penix but still. Think it speaks more to the lack of topend talent at other positions in this draft & the need for QB around the league.

Maybe.  We will have to revisit after they have a season of statistics.  Might take 3 years in Pennix’ case.

Edited by Swampbilly

I’ve seen mocks where we drafted Chop Robinson at 21, and I hated them……and to be honest I don’t think I’ve been this disappointed in our first round pick since Ted Ginn Jr.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just didn’t see much production from Chop in college.  I feel like an Eagles fan when they drafted Mike Mamula.

Edited by Swampbilly

Don’t hate the pick but he was definitely not the top guy left on my list. I would’ve had Newton, Barton and Brian Thomas Jr ahead of him personally. The Fautanu slide only for him to get taken by Pitt was painful. He would’ve been perfect to slide in at LG and takeover for Armstead.

In the end, i understand the pick. Premium position, tons of untapped potential, going to get to learn behind JP and Chubb so no rush to have him produce early, we needed depth at the edge and this is potential insurance in case we can’t re-sign JP or he and Chubb keep getting banged up.

Interior OL or WR3 at 55 now imo

It appears Miami was pretty focused on Chop, reportedly they had 4-5 offers to trade out but didn’t want to risk missing out on him. They also allegedly tried to trade back into the first round but could not make it happen. 

I'm ok with the Chop pick.  Don't love it.  Don't hate it.  He was certainly the best remaining EDGE on the board and there was a pretty big drop off after him, IMO.  With two big question marks in Chubb and Phillips going forward, this was as much a need as OL.  But the big disappointment to me was when Grier stated that 4-5 teams were trying to trade up into our pick and they shot them all down.  I honestly would have taken the package from the Lions that they dealt to the Cowboys for pick 24.  Picking up a 3rd would have been great.  

As for Chop himself, seems like people either compare him to Micah Parsons (due to athletic ability) or to Charles Harris (due to mainly relying on one move).  Why aren't people comparing him to Odafe Oweh?  They are eerily similar to me.  Both from PSU.  Both absolute athletic freaks.  Both with iffy production in college compared to their athletic abilities.  Oweh has gotten a lot of pressures in his brief time in the NFL, but they haven't turned into sacks for him.  He's gotten home roughly 5 times a year.  Chop is coming out younger than Oweh did and had better collegiate production, so an optimistic person could hope for more.  But let's not discount the disruption that a non-sack pressure can cause as well.  

We traded up in the 4th to pick Jaylen Wright RB - 4.38 40yd dash

Totally cool with the trade up price considering we most likely will have two 3rd comp picks next year. Love that they were agressive to go get their guy especially with the RB run that happened a few picks later.

with the new Kick off rules I love the Tahj pick in the 7th round. 

Jaylen Wright similar to A'chane I initially thought "huh" but I trust McDaniel. I sneakily hoped that Rattler would fall and  maybe he could develop and generate enough buzz to be traded for high value picks later on. 

None of the big names that I wanted were drafted by Miami but my job doesn't depend on this. I trust the "experts" in the building. 

Side note- after enduring 2 years of lost picks due to tampering I better not see organizations get away with a slap on the wrist if it is proven.